The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Practice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Austini
View Profile
New user
CA, Temecula
48 Posts

Profile of Austini
How long do you usually practice your rotines/etc. I usually get in one hour of structured practice per day.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Not long enough, I am afraid

- and check out also the following, as it gives some other opinions on the topic

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&30

Andy
Cards never lie
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I practice when I can.

Sometimes weeks can go by, sometimes everyday for hours.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I practice whenever I can. Structured practice is great but if it is timed and scheduled, there is a chance for it to get boring and ultimately lose your interest. The end result could be worse. Then again to each his own.

I found it effective (at least for me) to practice when I have the "Magic Urge" (which is all the time). I find myself more focused this way. Now if I am learning or working on a new sleight or routine....thats another story. Learning and working on something new in magic is one of my greatest highs! I would go hours on end practicing till I get comfy with it and it becomes second nature to me.

I do a lot of mental practice as well. LIke a movie screen in my mind , I review the moves, patter, routine ...even the outs in case I fumble. I do practice my own routines at least 5 times a day, excluding actuall performances which is more than twice that number.

Hope this helps.

Rannie Raymundo
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Hey great tips rannie!
I like a lot of hobbist out there have limited time to practice magic due to situations in our lives (My main interest is music production and studio design which have been my dream since I was a kid, and now a reality ;-) I look at magic in the long term. I know it's always going to be something that is with me throughout my life. I see it as when I'm 70 I'll still be able to whip out some impressive effects. I practice when I can, and sometimes this could last hours and go on for days, and sometimes I don't really get to do too much intense practicing for a week or so. But I know that every little bit helps in the long run. The great thing about it is there is sooo much you can study, so many different areas of interest, and always new things to learn, and brush up on the old stuff! I do feel that the best time to practice is when you have that magical mindset and your intrest is at it's highest. If taking a break is what is needed to get that passion back, then that's the most important thing. I do practice performing for people as much as I can which is pretty frequently because I work with the public and is great for practicing new techniques, and also ways to improve them due to angles, phrasing and misdirection. I always carry a nice collection of coins with me and am always ready to rip them out and and practice new meterial I've been working on, and it's great to get the feedback and response that people give you because not many people have seen multiphase coin routines that just blow them away. It's funny though, sometimes the most simple vanish is all it takes to blow someone's mind. Well that's my thoughts ;-)

-Stevie D
-Stevie D
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I too am a hobbyist and I love working with coins. I practice whenever I get a chance, usually about an hour and a half a day, sometimes more.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
I'm stay home dad right now so I get 3-5 hours a day.
Cards in the bathroom, living room, kitchen, bedroom. Cards when watching TV etc.

I spend 1-1.5 hours reading (no cards), 1-1.5 hours practicing what I read, and the rest of the time with DVD's, practicing effects, putting together routines and reading Café posts. I will put in 30 mins every day with coins but most of the work is with cards.

On Saturdays I roam from bar to bar for around 5 hours performing my most polished effects which is great practice in itself. Performing in front of people is so different than the mirror at home.

I take every seventh day off.
I have been doing this for about a year now.
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Nice schedule blink_inc. I would like to do the same, only with coins.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I practice throughout the day, walking to the subway, riding in and home on the bus, walking the streets, at my desk at work at times. It's just a part of me, a part of me I wish I had stuck more with as a kid. Sometimes it's structured, most times offbeat toward the practice of precision. I like thinking about magic too, to me that's also sorta like practice. Coming here to talk and discuss magic, is practice...Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I do many at once. right now it's hanging coins, winged silver, cups and balls, unshuffled, matrix with back fire (dean dill's).

when my coins get back from jamie it will change =)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Practice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL