The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Is magic essential to a mentalist? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
LOL, Brian--I'm one of those sad few who can do a flawless faro shuffle, but can't do a decent in-the-hands riffle to save my life. I suppose it's a blessing; I can hold my own when indulging my hobby, magic, and still look believable when doing mentalism, which is my full time love.

I gotta say, though, it's priceless to see my card-geek friends' reactions when "the mentalist guy" starts doing faro's and Kenner's "Five Faces of Sybil" cut ;o) It's stuff I'd never use for an audience, but I still enjoy it. Like I said, it's a hobby, kinda like how some people collect stamps. Just cooler :o)

All that aside, there are certainly many magic techniques that are applicable to mentalism. I do feel that mentalism and magic are two different things, but they're not entirely different. They're related arts, which share a certain amount of overlapping technical background.

To say that a mentalist must learn magical technique isn't really accurate, because if the technique is applicable to mentalism, it's mentalism technique, too. It's certainly possible to come in as a mentalist and learn those techniques from that perspective, without ever having considered being a magician.

That said, since a lot of the basics (such as coin switches and card moves) aren't usually covered in mentalism writings, you do have to be open to reading non-specialized books to glean what you can.

Studying the King James Bible doesn't automatically make me a Christian, though, if you know what I mean. I don't have to practice Christianity to learn valuable lessons from the writings in the Bible, and I can ignore those parts which don't apply to me.

(Before anybody starts getting up in arms here, this is not a post about religion, I just used Christianity/the KJB as an example; it's an analogy, not a religious statement. I know some folks here are sensitive about such things.)

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Brash
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Brash
Quote:
On 2003-01-28 16:04, R Harrison wrote:

Brian, would you say that Office Depot is 'an essential building block to any mentalist?'
:)

Rich

Yes, and Staples, too! Smile
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of Lior
Quote:
On 2003-01-28 12:16, Bambaladam wrote:
Mr Dr_Zodiac, you are the most persistent waste of time my life on the Internet has offered me so far. Let me say this:

By the looks of your website, you don't percieve a difference between Magic and Mentalism. You also do not appear to enjoy applying your imagination and creativity to your work.

I suggest you stick to magic. There at least you will only be another annoying restaurant guy instead of ruining other people's livelihoods. Your simplistic views on ethics offend me deeply. I am at a loss for words.

Please buy 13 Steps and read it before continuing this discussion.

/bambangry

I agree. Smile
And I am sure that the good Dr. will say that
he also agree...
strange.
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Is magic essential to a mentalist? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL