We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Roman Themed Illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I know we have a thread going on themed illusion segments/shows, but I wanted more input than what is appearing there. I am looking for illusions, or smaller effects which could be themed to a Roman style show.

ie. Throne Production, Water Levitation, Girl in Cape Vanish, Gladiator Production (ie. similar to Vamire or Toy Soldier), Suspension on a Gladiator Spear, A box piercing effect using swords/spears (maybe a basket?), A Gladiator Net Vanish of a Girl (a la Dizzy Limit). Smaller effects; Head off chicken, what else?????????????

Perhaps a complete gladiator segment, can we say Lion Production, boys and girls.

Perhaps a restored eunach (?) illusion?

Let's go wild, post your ideas NOW!!!!

Thanks all!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
John Bundy
View Profile
Regular user
USA
193 Posts

Profile of John Bundy
Vanishing or appearing chariot
Tribute to Ceasar (coin production)
Cleopatra in a sedan chair
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
First, CHARIOTS! Any major illusion that uses cars or motorcycles, use a chariot and horses.

This is a bit more Greco than Roman, but image a blamo box made as a trojan horse? Or use that as your Temple of Benares. Trojan horse to real horse.

Have Nero do the zombi-violin trick.

Given that the Romans didn't have much love for that "new" sect of Christians til Constantine, the possibilities for Gospel Magic abound, especially using sword-thru-neck and other similar illusions in a "persecution" theme (though crucifixion should be avoided out of good taste).
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Love the Coins, and the violin (would have to ask Norm about that one!!!)

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
cardone
View Profile
Special user
856 Posts

Profile of cardone
Wine production ....... and a few bunches of grapes....
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Bring out a small trojan horse model, show empty.... and then produce a string of people from it. (a million dollar trojan horse mystery??)

sb
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
An escape illusion: Julius must escape before the timer runs out. If he doesn't make it in time, a conspiracy occurs in which a group of guys come running out and stab him!... Toga party?

Ok all kidding aside, how about:

Sword Swallowing?

Produce a fancy meal for the king?

Torn an Restored with the paper taken from a scroll and proceeding to pour sand from it?

Make something like this appear, or even better a man turn to stone? http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/r/images/ro......r.lg.JPG

If I think of more I'll be sure to post them. (I'll sift out the bad jokes next time..)

-Chris.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Toga party, wenches (what did Romans call them?) stamping grapes..........I'm too old for that stuff!

Well, then again..............

BM
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Didn't Brett Daniels have a few "Roman-themed" illusions at one point?

-Bryan
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Would like to hear more about that!

Anyone???

BM
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I remember seeing an "Atlas" looking illusion on Splashes site for Brett's older show and (of course) his Owen's Levitation with the Roman columns...

-Bryan
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

The "Atlas" illusion had sort of a Da Vinci look, didn't it???

I have a photo on file somewhere, it was up for sale awhile ago.

BM
John Bundy
View Profile
Regular user
USA
193 Posts

Profile of John Bundy
A Roman running bit

If you could find a Morrissay Aqua Vase, (a vase shaped lota bowl) give it a terracotta finish.
You could present the "Nectar of the Gods" instead of the "Waters of the Nile" each time before you pour a cup of purple liquid. Just to be sure to thank Baccus now and again.
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
On 2007-02-15 23:43, Blair Marshall wrote:
The "Atlas" illusion had sort of a Da Vinci look, didn't it???

I have a photo on file somewhere, it was up for sale awhile ago.

BM

If we are talking about the same thing then Holland's Sitta is performing this now.
Sitta was the FISM Grand Illusion winner in 2006.

In one of the Illusionworks books there is a stretching girl illusion which relies upon Roman pillars for the working... nuff said.

Spain's Junke also has a transformation illusion in which he wears a Roman cape.
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Cleopatra's Ghost could put in an appearance by using Jim Gerrish's Litter Vanish (PVC Pipe Book 2 - on my site). The Litter could be brought in by a couple of "slaves" and her "ghost" waves and throws flowers to the crowd before vanishing completely. If you then wanted her to make a more permanent appearance, the Palanquin or Jim's Double Split Palanquin could be used as a follow-up.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Awesome input guys, John love the Aqua vase bit, how about ending with the inverted vase with a continuous pour of wine, a barrel overflowing.

It's fun to think of this while we are buried a-- deep in snow. (At least up here in N.Y. and QC.)

I am also thinking of a temple to the goddess of love.

This opens it up some more ideas.

The bathing beauty who vanishes behind a screen as she prepares for her bath. (The Strip Tease illusion). Oh by the way folks this is for an ADULT audience.

BM
Magicjess76
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Magicjess76
How about making a statue(a person in costume) appear, and then having it come to life? You could base an enitire routine, or a running gag on that. It would be humerous to have him appear in different points in your show to meddle with your magic.
~Jess
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
I like that idea Jess.

Oh, if you do a risque-type show, there is the old "leaf" that is strategicly placed on the statue. It could change colors, change size, or more "interesting" things.

Oh, do some illusion with a spear or long sword. Then when done you toss it offstage. A scream of pain is heard and one of your assistants or stagehands comes out, impaled by it. They have a lovely "death scene" and the curtain falls.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Brett's zombie to girl appearance to levitation used a toga clad assistant. The entire illusion was done on an elevated platform with columns hence to Roman look.

What about the cornicopia of the gods with flowers or silks. Maybe a floating spear? Germain Water Jars done with wine?

I guess it is too late and my brain is just rambling a bit.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
John Bundy
View Profile
Regular user
USA
193 Posts

Profile of John Bundy
Come on Richard, they need flowers, flowers and more flowers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Roman Themed Illusions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL