The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Which Luke Jermay Book or DVD? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I have been doing magic for years but am now getting into mentalism. I have Leap of Faith and really like it. I do not like to use clipboards, slips of papers, center tear and ECT. I am interested in it looking real. LOL As real as it can get!

I like the stuff Derren Brown does and know that Luke Jermay is the man when it comes to this style of entertainment.

Which should I start with? Which book or DVD? Is Building Blocks and Coral Fang to deep for me right now?

Best
Kenguru
View Profile
Loyal user
Hungary & Israel
273 Posts

Profile of Kenguru
The Coral Fang

All right then. I'll go to hell. (Mark Twain)
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
For $50 I can get you on the waiting list to be 99th in line to pay $400 for the rights to be 'one of the few' who can buy the DVD he's going to work on sometime this, or next, year; for only $1,000.

You won't get on the list 100% of the time, but that's half the fun of mentalism, isn't it? Smile
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I haven't read Coral Fang, but I've read 7 Deceptions and Building Blocks. I've also see "Skullduggery." I like 'em all, but I'm partial to Building Blocks.
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
Why get any? Just use stooges, instant stooges, pre-show and cameras. Nothing wrong with any of them that is what you will find in a lot these types of effects.
Omid
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
332 Posts

Profile of Omid
If you want to do Derren Brown style of mentalism, you will learn much more by reading Corinda's 13 Steps. Derren presents his effects as psychological (and it is a very interesting method which I also use myself), but that doesn't change the fact that most of his effects are surefire effects, not the kind of pipe dream you can find in some published works.

And though I don't recommend Luke's material before you study the classic works, I agree with Haim that The Coral Fang is better than the rest.
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Wow, I haven't been here for a few weeks, but there sure are a lot of bitter people here. I'd understand why though. Anyway, Coral Fang is the best thing I've read from Luke Jermay. Itcomes with lots of good routines, essays, etc. It was well worth the money and time invested into adding them to my show.

PM me if you'd like more info.

Josh London
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Hi MD,

I really enjoy Luke's work but I think there are other areas where it might be better to start. With your previous experience, you may want to look into Barrie Richardson's work (esp. Theater of the Mind and its sequel, Act II). Another really good investment would be Stunners Plus from Larry Becker. These selections contain varied and strong effects so that you have a wide range of possibilities in putting your routines together.

Max Maven's color series (now available in a single volume called Prism) would fall into the same category. In terms of Jermay's work, there is no question in my mind that you would get the most out of Coral Fang at this point. I've enjoyed Jermay's work but I can't recommend his other books for somebody who is "getting into mentalism".

Brown's effectiveness, in my opinion, stems from his strong grasp of mentalism fundamentals and theatrical prescence. As such, I can't help but recommend 13 Steps from Corrinda. I tried not to, but the basics are there. With that, a little creativity, and a lot of showmanship, you can be the next DB.

Good luck.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I might suggest that since you like the manuscript Leap of Faith you might like the material on the SOMETHING DVD

Many here can attest to the strength and originality of the work.
(However there are only a few left).

The stuff plays strong and real.

Here is a clip from Youtube showing the performance of one of the effects
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJFZTPInzRA this is the second half the first part is also posted on the same page.

The audience is amazed because they are reading the minds of their friends just as the performer is.

Best Wishes,

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Jim, didn't you say that SOMETHING wasn't for magcians? That was why I over looked it.

Beat
Ray
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Hi Ray,

I did that to stop guys who only worked as magicians from purchasing the DVD thinking it might be a disc of mental magic.

I would suggest however that since you like the Leap of Faith work you might consider the Hoodwinkings manuscript from Mick Ayres.

It is a complete scripted mentalism act with a deck of cards and some envelopes.
here is a link http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......5&39

My DVD is a bit more indepth than a new guy to mentalism might be ready for.
(The stuff is not hard just differnt than presenting magic)

I would also suggest the Practical Mental effecs book by Ted Annemman.

Hope this helps best wishes,

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12145 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-02-16 20:59, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Jim, didn't you say that SOMETHING wasn't for magcians? That was why I over looked it.
Beat
Ray

Ray,

Your post says that you are getting into mentalism. If you are getting into mentalism you can't stay a magician. You would have to then become a mentalist or even both.

I can vouch for Something. I performed 4 programs in a middle school last week. At the last minute the school district cut the periods from 50 minutes to 40 minutes so my shows were cut short.

And I so desperately wanted to perform Hardcopy Thought Broadcast from Something. I had all the props ready to go. I just didn't have time to add it though. Each program 6,7,8 had 300 students. I couldn't restructure my program to perform it. But it and other routines on Something are excellent.

But if you are NEW to mentalism then Something is one of the ways to go.

John

PS: I am a magician too ... but not all the time.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12145 Posts

Profile of John C
Oh, yea, don't forget my fiend Chuck Hickok's books either. Fully scripted corporate mentalism show. Great learning stuff.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

I am a magician who has been doing it for a long time. For some reason I feel pulled in the direction of mentalism. Maybe I am growing?

I have been thinking of being both. With two programs, one as a magician and the other heavy into mentalism. I like the way that I have to re-train myself when it comes to mentalism. It is exciting to be able to perform these effects without the use of magic props. I can keep the Zig-Zag at home. LOL

I just ordered Coral Fang and JIM, I am leaning in the direction of getting your SOMETHING.

Thanks guys for all your comments. I have a lot to choose from.

Best
Ray
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1360 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Something really is fantastic!I say get it before it's gone.Good Choice with Coral Fang.Luke's work is great,I know he got a bit of stick in regards to his last effort though I loved it!...Coral Fang is seen by many as one of his finer pieces of work Smile

Best,

Pete
GoranS
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of GoranS
The one I prefer is The Coral Fang...
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Just got The Coral Fang! I am really impressed with this book. Just reading the first effect made me smile. OOOOOh...YEA! I am glad that I bought this.

Best
Ray
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
On a side note does anyone know anything about luke jermays "induction" dvd? I saw it on penguinmagic (ouch! ten card poker deal I swear!) while just searching his products...
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
I've truly enjoyed everything from Luke. I think what ever you start w/ you will be ordering the others right after.

One point I wanted to bring up. Luke Jermay himself on Skullduggery said that he see NOTHING wrong w/ mixing Magic and Mentalism as long as it's done right. One or two of the effects on Skullduggery is a mix of both. I personally prefer to stick w/ pure Mentalism and try to make it "Look Real" but ever once in a while I think it's fun to do a few classic card tricks. Mean it took me forever to learn how to do a double lift so I'm going to use it.
Rob-ing you of your thoughts www.themindofrobert.weebly.com
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I've been listening to the audio set, "Conversations with Mindreaders" by Ben Cummings.

One of the things that suprised me was the card discussion. Ben asks a standard question, "what do you think of cards in mentalism?"

The answers go both ways but it suprised me to see that those that use cards have no problem with people thinking it is a trick.

If you want to mix both in the real world you can. I wouldn't...other performers here wouldn't...but it has become obvious to me from listening to many pro's that it is a matter of taste only.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Which Luke Jermay Book or DVD? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL