The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Thoughts from the end of a week (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
The sun shines through the the thick palm trees, as a classic American muscle car rumbles by. It's been so nice lately, today it's supposed to hit 84 degrees! Work has been good, the City Walk is picking up a bit. The other night there was a concert in the Gibson Amphitheater and that brought an extra 6000 people. Chad said his event will bring 3-4000 people for the WWE, today and tomorrow.

My shows have been good, as I continue to strive to improve the connection between me and my audience. I've been paying special attention to timing, humor, character and technique. I feel that there's been a lot of growth in the last six months as I've had to overcome the challenges of getting used to LA Audiences. It hasn't been easy. I've often maintained that you don't meet too many conceited street performers. The reason is. . . we're used to getting our teeth kicked in every night. On the street, if someone doesn't like your act, they leave. . . with their whole family, leaving a big gap in the circle. There is no audience but the one that I build. They're only as good as I am and, I am committed to sharing with them a few minutes of mystery, fun and a celebration of life. When it clicks, it's magic. I'm such a junkie for that look on someone's face when their mouth drops. Last night, a 9 year old kid shocked the audience by saying "What the ****!"

It's such a great thing that we do. To go out night after night and make people happy with our magic. . . . what a gift. Making the world a better place, one smile at a time. That's my mission statement.

I had an interesting discussion with a dynamic performer named Flat Top. The few times I had walked by, while he was performing, I had to stop, I was drawn in by his energy. He was dancing and singing and doing mime and entertaining. I asked him later what he calls that sort of act. He said, "Interactive Entertainment". The couple of times we've chatted he had very trippy dippy advice, but I really dug what he was saying.

He talked about the flow of energy from the performer to the crowd and flows of energy from the crowd to the performer and around the circle. He plays loud bizarre music and really knows how to work a crowd.

Another time he told me that he wanted to be so good, that even ignorant people got it. That's heavy. He talked about the varying levels good you have to be. If the audience isn't very good, the performer has to be that much better. If the audience is great, there will also be an, on the fly, shift in performing energy.

This isn't something that is learned in a book. This is where the rubber meets the road no matter where you perform. It's what it's all about. Get my drift?
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
374 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
Do you out on the street on the promenade in LA?

Nick
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Tom,
Great seeing you tonight.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Brandon Beauchesne
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Brandon Beauchesne
I'm kind of ticked off that you lived in seattle for quite some time and we only met once in your shop.(my fault) That was the best store in washington. Glad to hear you're doing well. I've been watching your vids on youtube, great stuff, wish I could've been around for those backroom sessions.
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Tom was great from the 1st time I met him at his shop. He invited me into the "backroom."
I was like a kid in a candy store. A cloud of cigar smoke. A bunch of young turks sitting around a table throwing cards, trying to upstage each other. Sessions at the house were just as much fun. You NEVER knew who was going to walk in the front door. I'd usually leave around midnight and people were just showing up. Tom was probably responsible for more magic & new magicians than anyone in Seattle. I don't think it's been the same since you left. Tom was the magic "GLUE"
All the best, Buddy!!!
Prof. Gizmo
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
Metone
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Metone
James I think I have seen you at venice beach or was that you tom?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Metone,
It probably wasn't me. Haven't worked venice for a couple years. You may have seen me at the 3rd street promenade.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Thoughts from the end of a week (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL