The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Starting a second business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I've reached a point where I can pretty much do as many shows as I choose. Yet performing more than 3 or 4 days a week tops, gets rather tiresome on a regular basis. I've started another small business, property rental, which ties in nicely with entertaining, working weekdays on paperwork and bookings, whilst most of the rentals and parties are at weekends.
I've done this largely for the sake of variety. I found that devoting 100% of my efforts towards entertainment wasn't entirely healthy or as rewarding as I'd like. Of course, I love performing, and this is precisely why I don't want to be working 10+ shows a week! With a smaller number of shows, the excitement and enjoyment is more palpable, and as a result, more fun is had by all. I know a number of entertainers go on to run entertainment agencies.
I'd be interested to know what kinds of buinesses or jobs other members have? Does your other job/business help your shows in any way? And did you have your second job/business before you started entertaining, or did you start it after you discovered you had time during the week to try out something new?
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Interesting. I started magic while I was teaching middle and high school. I was also a Youth Pastor at a small church. Then I was called to be the pastor of another small church - but I couldn't do all the stuff I was doing. So, I decided to quit teaching and just perform magic and preach. The church I am pastor at is not a "full-time" job, meaning that I am expected to have another job - magic is that job.

I have found that my magic is actually my main source of income and being at the church fits in nicely because I have the weekdays and saturdays to perform and market for shows, etc. I couldn't ask for two jobs that are more suited to one another.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Entertaining children is just about all that I do. However, recently I bought out a mobile DJ company and hired 2 people to work the gigs for me as I am a children's performer. This has created a ton of new revenue for me and I don;t have to do much.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I'm kind of in the opposite position of Chad. I was doing magic full-time when the opportunity for a teaching job fell into my lap. Interestingly enough, I probably do 85%-90% of the show I used to do, as most of my work is on evenings, weekends, and summers -- teaching is really the perfect second job for a performer. The only things I no longer do are the jobs that take me away from home for extended periods, and cruises are pretty much out. But, I have more financial security than I ever had in my life, and will likely retire early and do magic part-time until I die!
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Teaching is a good job - unless you want to do school programs - then it is rather difficult Smile

But yes, it works out great otherwise - I did b-days on weekends, restaurant work on weeknights, and libraries during the summer while teaching. A very nice combination.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
I started an agency back in 1993.

Dealing with clients was business like and fairly straightforward. Dealing with acts was a nightmare. They were never near their phones and not too many had mobiles then.

Their ability to actually supply promotional material was not good and quality was poor.I got them exceedingly good fees. Paid on the day direct by the client and then had such a struggle to get my commission.

I handled all types of entertainers and would say thet in general magicians were a bit better than average in their dealings.

It was an idea because at the time the children's party market was sinking along with shopping centre work and I had not seen sufficent work out the outdoor work at that time.

As the outdoor work increased I let the agency go and closed it. I still find acts for events but not on an agency basis. I take a fee from the organiser for finding the right act for them.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
In addition to magic, I'm also a lawyer with my own firm. I also own and operate a management consulting company and a real estate investment firm. When I'm not working, I organize the monthly meetings for our local magic club (which I founded about 2 years ago).

Oh yeah, I'm also a husband and father to two young daughters. That's my real job.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
frogstomper
View Profile
New user
Gold Coast, Australia
59 Posts

Profile of frogstomper
I do magic only part-time, and I own an audio engineering college, which occupies the rest of my week. I'm bored with the college now, so I'm going to sell it later this year, and pursue a career as a childrens' entertainer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Starting a second business (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL