We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Recommended Personal Finance Books? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Anyone have any personal finance books that they can recommend to me? I have heard some good reviews about "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", so I am picking that one up soon. I also have "Everything you Need to Know about Personal Finance in your 30's" and "The Millionaire Mind". So, does anyone have any other books that they felt were particularly influential to them as far as personal finance goes?
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Thomas Stanley, PhD, has written some books on personal finance. Go to your local shop and browse the shelves. His book "The Millionaire Mind" is highly recommended (I own a copy, just haven't read it yet).

I quickly entered this thread hoping to preemptively warn you off of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" before anyone suggested it to you, but I see I am too late.

The author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad is a snake oil salesman.

The thing is, though, a bunch of Christian groups recommend Rich Dad, Poor Dad because they have been deluded into believing that the author is a good Christian (I think the author markets himself that way on talk shows and the like), so his book "must" automatically be good. I believe nothing could be further from the truth. Here is an analysis of Rich Dad, Poor Dad:

http://www.johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html

[And you'll probably learn more for free from John Reed's page http://www.johntreed.com than you will from RDPD.]

Incidentally, a fellow by the name of Casey Serin is a disciple / student of RDPD's author. Look how well it is working out for him:

http://iamfacingforeclosure.com/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Thanks for the response Balducci. As I said, I have the "Millionaire Mind" book. I enjoyed that one and should probably re-read it, since it's been probably 4 years since I've read it.

I am well aware of the mixed reviews that "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" has received. It seems that some people detested his way of thinking, while other thought it was an enjoayable read and provided a nicely illustrated contrast in thinking about the issue of personal finance. I don't plan on automatically subscribing to the ideas preached in RDPD, but I believe that it's beneficial to research many different opinions on a subject and then coming up with your own system/beliefs.

- Edwin Louis Cole
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
So long as you're cautious going into RDPD, I guess you'll be okay. Personally, I just hate giving my hard earned money to someone recycling old news and truisms for profit, and marketing oneself falsely, as I believe RDPD's author is doing.

Sorry I missed your earlier mention of The Millionaire Mind. I saw your mention of RDPD first, and that set off alarms which temporarily affected my reading comprehension.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
A lot depends what your goals are, how experienced you are, how much effort you want to put into managing your money, etc. The Motley Fool books are good...their starter book is probably "The Motley Fool Investment Guide" If it's alphabetical by author, it's under G for Gardner. Peter Lynch's books "One Up on Wall Street" and "Beating the Street" are very good. Benjamin Graham's The Intelligent Investor is a classic that is old, but not outdated. John Neff on Investing is also good. Good websites to learn from include http://www.morningstar.com and http://www.fool.com
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-02-17 20:06, balducci wrote:
I just hate giving my hard earned money to someone recycling old news and truisms for profit, and marketing oneself falsely, as I believe RDPD's author is doing.

No worries, I am not buying it. I have it reserved at my local library - that's where I'll be "picking it up" from. If my interest is in financial well-being, then borrowing from my library as opposed to buying, seems like a good start!

- Edwin Louis Cole
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
Your Money or Your Life is a nice book that puts the "personal" back into personal finance. The book reminds us that money is our stored up life energy, and so being mindful about our money is not just about dollars and cents, it's about how we choose to live our lives. The book has stayed in print for many years now, so it should be easy to get a copy from your library.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Another link on John Treed's website summarises the financial lowlights of various (real-estate) authors:

http://www.johntreed.com/bestseller.html

Incidentally, although it is not a finance book per se, a somewhat related book on the topic of personal success (not just financial success) is "The 48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene and Joost Elffers:

http://www.48lawsofpower.net/

http://www.powerseductionandwar.com/

The 48 Laws of Power runs through 48 principles one should live by for power and success, and illustrates with references to various historical figures what happens when you do or do not follow the rules. I found the book to be an enjoyable read.

Even if you are not mercenary enough to follow all of these rules yourself in your own life dealings, being familiar with them allows you to recognise when others in your life are using them against you.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
No sugar coating in this investing book - The Only Three Questions That Count: Investing by Knowing What Others Don't by Kenneth L. Fisher.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2451 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
You are in dangerous territory, and asking just anybody is as likely to yield bad guidance as it is to yield good guidance.

You should understand one key concept first: the old, boring, conservative advice is "old and boring" because it works - it works now as it always has.

I'd be wildly suspicious of ANYTHING that has "Millionaire" or "Rich" in its title. Anything touting "investment strategies" is also probably suspect - the way to invest is NOT to try to "outguess the market" or get "insider secrets," the way to get rich is to get rich SLOWLY, so you STAY rich.

Go to the basics - PERSONAL FINANCE FOR DUMMIES isn't bad, and there's some plain talk in THE WALL STREET JOURNAL PERSONAL FINANCE GUIDEBOOK. In my view, the Motley Fool advice sounds a lot better than it works.

I'll give you the "boring basics" in a nutshell: Save and add to your investments programatically (automatically if you can) - start NOW - diversify (stock funds rather than individual stocks, a variety of funds rather than a select few) - don't "pick stocks" or "pick funds" because last month's superstars become this month's disasters - take the long view, because the market as a whole returns a reliable and generous percentage over a twenty-year or greater period. And NEVER listen to advisors who have something to sell you.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Sorta makes me wonder how much Motley Fool you've read, or what it is you disagree with, Ross, since their underlying philosophy is long term buy & hold, periodic & consistent investment, living beneath your means, and diversification. They do advocate a balanced portfolio of individual stocks, it's true, but it has nothing to do with "last month's superstars," and everything to do with the "old and boring" methodology of Warren Buffet & Benjamin Graham before him --- good earnings, low P-E ratio, solid business models. Over 90% of fund managers don't beat the average S & P returns, so if you don't want to do the homework as far as looking at companies' financial statements, then you should buy an index fund and get the return of the market as a whole. The guys who will be taking a percentage of your earnings in a managed fund generally do a pretty bad job at it.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7454 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I liked "Financial Peace" by Dave Ramsey. In fact, I have his "Financial Peace University" kit, which is the book, workbook, cassettes (CDs are available alternately), envelope system, etc.

I also liked "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George S. Clason. It has some great teaching in it, told as a parable.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
docmagik
View Profile
Regular user
San Bernardino, CA
118 Posts

Profile of docmagik
I'm with Dunphy. Go with ANYTHING by Dave Ramsey. Financial Peace and Total Money Makeover are fantastic.

They are NOT get rich quick books. They are low-risk, logical strategies for dealing with money issues.

As Dave says, "It's the kind of advice your Grandma would give you, but we keep our teeth in."

Can't reccomend it, or his radio show, strongly enough.

http://www.daveramsey.com
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
The first book on personal finance I purchased is still one of my favorites and I purchased it over 20 years ago.

The Only Investment Guide You Will Ever Need by Andrew Tobias. It's been updated several times I believe.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2007-02-24 07:07, cgscpa wrote:
The Only Investment Guide You Will Ever Need by Andrew Tobias. It's been updated several times I believe.

If it's truly "the only investment guide you'll ever need", why has it been updated? Smile

Seriously, Dave Ramsey always gives hard-nosed, practical advice, involving first getting out of debt and being a good steward of whatever you have. Everything else stems from that.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Here's a link to an investment forum that I moderate on a site dedicated to the Honda S2000.

The second thread down is a list of recommended books on investing.

Browse the threads there; we have a lot of savvy investors with tons of useful advice.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Well I am just about finished with Rich Dad, Poor Dad - and I really fail to see what all the controversy is about. Although the author apparently made his fortune from high-risk stocks and real estate, he makes a point of NOT recommending his actual approach.

The main focus seems to be on building an asset column, and eliminating liabilities. That makes sense, no? He also stresses the importance of having your money work for you. My wife worked in a bank for a while, and it amazes me how many people have SO much money sitting in their 0% interest checking account, or their 1% (or less) savings accounts. The ending of the book is motivational in helping me realize my fear of losing money and fear of losing in general.

I really enjoyed the book very much. It's an easy read and it really got me excited and ambitious about managing my money and growing my assets.

- Edwin Louis Cole
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
Hey Danny, the next two books are really good. The Cashflow Quadrant and Rich Dad's Guide to investing.

I looked at the website with the links to the arguments against him. Like anything, you can make an arguement for anything, for or against. A lot of the arguments against write misreprentations.

For example, the one about hiring people who are smarter than you. One guy partnered himself with someone and expected him to do all the work because he is smarter. Someone missed the point. You hire people who are smarter than you in their own specialied, specific area. Accountants, lawyers, managers, stock brokers, all do specific jobs. They will do that specific job better that you because they have training, education, certifications, and degrees. They do not and should not run your business. You ultimalty make the final desicion based on the info they give you. They may disagree with you and advise against it, but you look at the overall business and become a leader and make the decisions.

Kiyosaki never claims it is easy to become rich. The concepts are easy to understand, but you still have to work. The question is do you work harder or smarter? Do you work for money or learn how to make money work for you?
Finacial education is always important. The question is in the method you get that education, and yes, it is well within reach of anyone who wants it bad enough. No, you do not need a university. He has a recomended reading list which are not his books.

The web page is full of stuff like that it made my head spin.
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Exactly elmago,
The main points I came away with, were as follows:

• work smarter, not harder
• become financially literate/educated
• increase your assets, reduce/eliminate your liabilities
• do not fear losing/failure
• be creative with your financial investments
• make sure your money is working for you all the time

I don't think there is anything too shady with these ideas. They are sound and basic pieces of advice, and they are reinforced in the book a lot. I also like his views on education. I think more financial education should be taught in schools.

- Edwin Louis Cole
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
The Millionaire Next Door is said to be a good book.
Mike Kavanagh has a great website http://www.moneybulletin.com
POOF!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Recommended Personal Finance Books? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL