The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Looking to do Asrah.....Help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aquamage
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of aquamage
I am looking to set up a classic asrah effect for a show Ill be doing this Halloween season. I am familiar with the illusion, but have never actually built one or performed it. The show will be in a full theatre and we will have a tech and light crew, so I'm pretty sure all the requirements can be met....can anyone give some advice or direct me to a good source for info on construction and performance. Thanks in advance.
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
260 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
I used to perform the Asrah in my show and know that you will also need a good backdrop or curtain. There are wave curtains, fiber optic/star, rain/shimmer/mylar, etc.

I would also suggest buying the illusion from a reputable builder. It is a very complicated illusion to fabricate on your own. I used an expandable base which made for a thinner look as well as a very thin form for brighter lighting. The only disadvantage to this is you will have to be gentle when pulling the cloth off. A good one will cost you around $2,500 and up.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Puck
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Plans for constructing the classic Asrah form are published all over the place. I made one a couple of years ago and although I'm pretty experianced in these things, it took me MUCH longer than I expected! - Even when I thought I was finished, it took me a couple of days filing the joints making sure that there were no sharp solder joints or ends of wire that could snag on the cloth. (One snag pulling off the cloth and the illusion is sunk!)
I have to say considering the time and effort that I put into making it, I was a little dissapointed with the finished result, it wasn't as strong as I expected. (Even with the mesh diagonal bracing!) In the early stages of construction, it was so flimsey that I doubted that it would ever fly!

If I was making another, I would probably go for a slightly heavier gauge wire that that recommended (24 swg? - can't remember now!), and also redesign the form slightly to continue the mesh over the bottom of it - this would prevent the sides spreading - once they do, the form has a disconcerting tendancy to sag in the middle!

It took so long making the form (for a particular show), that I had to replan my base design. In the end I went with what looks like a long low white table using J. C. Sum's "BATS" system - which is quick and simple to make, and very effective. - It's described in one of his books.

In the end, it all worked out OK, - if I was performing it regularly, I would probably build another, but with "mods" as described above. These things need a fair bit of time to develop by trial and error!
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Hello,

All I can say is be prepared to work A lot on the lighting... I was with a show that was at a theatre for a 5 show run... the first 3 shows didn't feature the illusion because lighting hadent been perfected. it took us 2 days to get the lighting to look good. Also becareful with angles!
Make sure you have a Pro flying the illusion(In our case I guess I'm a pro:P)

lol good luck! Tell Us how it goes!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will echo Puck's sediments. buy it from a reputable dealer or a good used one. Chalet, Owen's, Bill Smith, Wellington, and Gaughan's, are all that I have no problem reccomending.

The table itself is not real hard to make if you are handy but the form itself is a bear. Stay away from these collapsing forms and such nonense. They are more trouble than they are worth.

As for lighting and rigging, it is really pretty simple. The glitter or rain curtain helps but a busy back curtain will also work. Realize, you ideally need 4 other people to work this.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Another good resource is the Encyclopedia of Suspensions and Levitations. Lots of good info in their. Not much but thought I'd put it in the pot.

Matt
Mark Holstein
View Profile
New user
Houston, Texas
54 Posts

Profile of Mark Holstein
Aquamage,

The advice you are getting here is spot on. I've lit many Asrahs over the years (Richard and I have done many together). It's not easy.

I'm not sure where you are located, but I have an Asrah I may list for sale. The form is traditional, but the table is unique - not the usual design. It allows for an instantaneous swap without the usual "shake the cloth while the magic happens" moment. You simply cover the girl and it's done.

The prop is large and on the heavy side but will last forever. PM me if you are interested.
aquamage
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of aquamage
Thanks for all the good advice guys. the theatre has a fiber-optic star light curtain that has a bunch of different light patterns so that should be good ( I worked in this theatre last year and its one of the nicest curtains I've seen). Still waiting to sign the contract for this season, once it is official I will be looking into buying a pro form (hopefully used..budget may be limited). sorry I have just started to answer the pm's that some of you have sent, I just got back from a small show tour (really gotta get a lap top to bring with lol). For those that asked I am in the Minneapolis area.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Looking to do Asrah.....Help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL