The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Prosecution case against James Biss » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Biss asserts that the manufacturer of the Oyster was told of his intended market and was asked about whether there was an conflict of interest such as prior dealings with magicians. The manufacturer categorically denies that such a conversation ever took place and only agreed to sell Biss the standard Oyster Duo not the proprietory 7th Sense version which was and remains my intellectual property. At no point did Biss ever tell the manufacturer he was a magician though Biss did request 'modifications' which the manufacturer declined to do. Unless contrary evidence is provided, I shall take the manufacturer's assurances in this regard.

Biss claims ignorance of the 7th Sense. This stretches the boundaries of belief since he has readily admitted that his friend pointed out the similarities to the 8th Sense and the judicious use of the word 'sense' in the ad copy. Such similarities should have caused Biss to investigate further since there is a reference to 7th Sense in the 8th sense manual, in the advertising copy and in the FAQs detailed precisely what 7th Sense was and prompted direct enquiries about it to the manufacturer. A courtesy email to myself or James Cheung would have saved this entire fiasco from happening.

Biss claims he did not set about to rip me off. Whether he intended to or not is immaterial, the end result is the same: the materially same product, from the same manufacturer sold for the same purpose to the same niche market.

Hocus Pocus two year previously had sold several dozen 7th Sense units from me but the relationship ended over a disagreement in payment terms. That they did not spot the near identical nature of the two products beggars belief. They should have told Biss there and then that Teslavision and 7th Sense were near identical but since 7th Sense was such a great seller, I can only imagine that they decided it was worth the risk.

Biss's facetious flippancy in this regard is insulting. Instead of apologising and admitting his mistake he has tried to lighthearteded justify it and blame the manufacturer and myself for not making 7th Sense better known when all he needed to do was basic due diligence. The man's utter disregard for intellectual rights and fair play is disgusting hence why I decided to destroy his market since 7th Sense and 8th Sense are custom products not available elsewhere and are strong enough to stand up on their own merits. Teslavision is not: it is overpriced, sold using a self professed false back story (something in itself unethical) and is unsuitable for mentalism in unmodified form.

I stand by 7th Sense. It has several distinct advantages over the off the shelf model since the off the shelf model has flaws that render it it unusable under certain conditions (those of you who own TV will know exactly what this problem is) and the manufacturer will not produce this version for anybody but myself.

Can Mr Biss please answer these allegations?
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
So is Hocus trying to Poke-us?

Sure looks that way.

Strange the cat can't get on here and write the truth of the situation.

Mr.Gross had no problem before he was caought out saying he had it and was ready to sell.

J ack

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
I think that shrink and Biss should go to Judge Judie over this case. That's something that I would love to watch.
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 19:53, DJM wrote:
I think that shrink and Biss should go to Judge Judie over this case. That's something that I would love to watch.

I'd prefer Jerry Springer
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Oh yes, that's even better! Smile
The Mental Lentil
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of The Mental Lentil
Shrink will have Biss. He's Scottish and they are hard. I saw Braveheart you know.
Dhal is murder
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Shrink! shrink! shrink! (chairs flying all over the place)
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Well the way I look at it Hocus poke-us needs to start running their yaps and offering some sort of explantion.

Hey if they were selling Shrinks gaff they knew and are in part responsible for all of this.

J ack

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 20:04, The Mental Lentil wrote:
Shrink will have Biss. He's Scottish and they are hard. I saw Braveheart you know.

Braveheart's a great film. Although I advise Shrink not to do the moony bit cos if Biss has his Tesla on him...
The Mental Lentil
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Since Looch got respectable he's lost his sense of humour. Can't he get banned again?
Dhal is murder
The Mental Lentil
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-02-18 20:16, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Well the way I look at it Hocus poke-us needs to start running their yaps and offering some sort of explantion.

Hey if they were selling Shrinks gaff they knew and are in part responsible for all of this.

J ack

H.O.A-X

How can Paul Gross be expected to remember sooooooo many products? After all, he must have tested and sold hundreds of different thumpers in the past two years. It is highly likely that he just forgot in his excitement Smile
Dhal is murder
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 20:04, The Mental Lentil wrote:
He's Scottish and they are hard.

Aye laddie, and don't ye forget it. From one Scotsman to another, I'm behind you 100% Shrink.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 20:16, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Well the way I look at it Hocus poke-us
J ack

H.O.A-X

HA ! You're very funny too. Hocus poke-us. Very dry you Jim-boy.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Baggins
View Profile
Regular user
london
148 Posts

Profile of Baggins
Will legal charges be brought?
The Mental Lentil
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-02-18 20:41, Baggins wrote:

Only against your haircut and 'tache combo. It's criminal.
Dhal is murder
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 20:50, The Mental Lentil wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 20:41, Baggins wrote:

Only against your haircut and 'tache combo. It's criminal.

Oh that's just rude! But it was funny. 10 points.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Very doubtful.

I do have one prediction though. Biss will be releasing a book this spring, and I predict it will contain someone's work that they will not have authorized to be released in his volume.

I also predict that his next product will be well received by his supporters and will be discovered to have already been marketed by someone else about four - five years ago. I further predict the product will not be one that is widely used so many others will not know it to be a rip-off until it is revealed here. I also see that Biss's supporters will contend that he never heard of something so obscure as a Svengali deck so how could he have possibly know someone else had created one.

Just my thoughts.

Read my signature.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Wow - it got through has the Café gone topsy turvy? What happened to the ban on all words sounding remotely naughty!??? Holy jumpin jeehoseephat
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 21:55, Samuel Catoe wrote:
Very doubtful.

I do have one prediction though. Biss will be releasing a book this spring, and I predict it will contain someone's work that they will not have authorized to be released in his volume.

I also predict that his next product will be well received by his supporters and will be discovered to have already been marketed by someone else about four - five years ago. I further predict the product will not be one that is widely used so many others will not know it to be a rip-off until it is revealed here. I also see that Biss's supporters will contend that he never heard of something so obscure as a Svengali deck so how could he have possibly know someone else had created one.

Just my thoughts.

Read my signature.

Dear Sylvia,
Stop putting mushrooms on that sandwich you are eating.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 22:16, Xiqual wrote:
Quote:
Samuel Catoe

Dear Sylvia,
Stop putting mushrooms on that sandwich you are eating.

Ha! 10 points. Everyone is fair game.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Prosecution case against James Biss » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL