The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Now I need something to go with it (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
I was at an antique store today and found a display model of a human heart, much like the ones in science/biology class. (Life size with all the numbers painted on it with a little "door" to open up to see how the heart works)

The thing is, I now have to figure out a way to use this in a routine, but I'm not sure on what to do with it. but it sure looks neat.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Spring snake inside the door. That will stop a heart or two.

Timex watch inside the door. Go through the TELL TALE HEART story, show the heart, lick it, open the door and say, "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking."

Thank you, I'll be here all night.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I dunno, Facade.. good luck with that one.
It sounds a little too "scientific" to easily make into a useful prop, although I understand the impulse behind buying it.

Here's a quick but goofy thought:

Inside the heart, inside the door that is, paint a "build up" of plaque and "articulerosis", whatever the heck that looks like... black gunk, I s'ppose. Make it nasty looking.
Now, do a number force on the spec (pick someone fat and who smokes) to get them to have to choose the number on the door, and open it to reveal their "future".

Yeah, I'm a real sweetheart ain't I ? heheh
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

I just wish that I could of scored it before Valentines Day to give to my wife.

then again I wonder what I can do to it to turn it into a sideshow gaff.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
A prediction effect utilizing the numbers perhaps?

Could a message be placed inside it, literally keeping it "close to the heart"?

Odd thing to use for a prop, though I'm certain you could find a use.

Best,
Jerome.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Hmmm, what are the sort of things one thinks of for using a heart in a routine?
I know I know, it does not HAVE to be all about blood, and body parts and vampires, and the like, though I cannot help but feel that this one just SCRAMS for use in such a plot or story.
Perhaps a Van Helsing lesson on the best way to kill the creature, though without making ahole in the thing, I might suggest the use of a werecreature theme, therby making the appearance of a silver bullet inside the heart a do-able thing. AND depending on the material (or protective coating one gives the thing,) the heart could be seen to bleed upon the presence of the silver bullet. Sort of a test device if you will.
Anyway, those are my thoughts off the top of my head!
HAve fun!
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Like almost a bullet catch.. a sliver bullet catch.

I almost wanted to use it becuase of a link posted somewhere else on the forum.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17a1a_......magician

Other than that. I could probibly use it then make a mold out of silicone to make them out of gellatin to use on stage.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2987 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I would consider not using it as a piece of magic apparatus at all.

Sometimes a distinctive object can simply lend authenticity to a story and provide a memorable visual picture for your audience.

For example, there are a number of pieces of performance material in the mentalism and bizarre literature dealing with the control of one's pulse, the control of one's bleeding, or the ability to read participants' thoughts by feeling their pulse. To begin such a demonstration with a brief medical lecture on the cardiovascular system, accompanied by an appropriate antique medical model, could be very effective — provided such a presentation is compatible with your persona, of course.

Best of luck,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1346 Posts

Profile of handa
Looking around a room of skulls, boxes, and other assorted non-gimmicked props, I'd have to agree with Mr. Tobin. Not everything has to be re-done, gaffed, or turned into the centerpiece of a magic effect to be "cool" or add atmosphere. We fill rooms full of eye candy as backdrops for magic effects. It is a combination of selling a scene/story and built-in misderection via overstimulation.

Or...it can be the centerpiece for a story but have nothing to do with the actual magic effect. I use my magic wand as such. It has absolutely nothing to do with the M.O. for anything I do, but it adds to the atmosphere, is something that anyone can hold in his/her hand (a.k.a. examinable) and takes attention away from the "dirty" props.

Pass the model around and do a demonstration of pulse-stopping. Use it as a visual for an audio cue (EKG sound or heartbeat) to emphasize an element of urgency in a story. Make it an "impromptu" stand for a PK Block and attempt to re-start the heart via force of will and knock the block over in the process instead.

Or do what everyone else does and write "8 of Spades" on the reverse side and turn it into the punchline for a card trick ;-)

Chris
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
The clever 8 of Spades, the clever 8 of Spades . . .
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Now I need something to go with it (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL