The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hanging coins with Downs Palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
Hi fellows I've been playing around with this David Roth's effect and I find it quite difficult to false transfer the coins in to the left hand retaining them into edge grip and for me it does not look natural, have anyone tried to perform this effect but instead of disappearing the coins retaining them into edge grip, instead using the downs palm?

I think the hand will look natural and empty and is quite easy to vanish a coin reatining it on the downs palm.

What do you think about it?

Best Regards
Pablo
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Using Downs' Palm for Roth's routine has been tried and even published.

I was sorry to see a DP handling for my "Coin go-return" appear shortly after the item hit print.

Yes it can work BUT it requires much more work to move the coins all the way into DP as opposed to staying at the fingertips as when using EG.

Really.

I suspect David Roth explored all this back in the very early 1970s.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Mago68,

I have been doing hanging coin in DP for about 3 years, and I think it is the way to go; I never liked and never performed hanging coins Dave Roth's way, I just never liked it and I still don't like it,:), to me it does not look good to turn the hand that way to get the coin in that disire position, so I use a move I learn from watching Gary K's hanging coins, to get the coin in DP without having to turn the wrist, and to me it is actually easier than the way Dave R does it; and you are right about the hand looking natural and empty.

Pablo, keep doing it that way, it will be the best way for you when you get it down,

Mano.

P.S have fun practising.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1277 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Mano,

Any chance of posting a performance video?
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Rutabaga,

I would love to, I have well over 50 original coins routines, but I do not have a camera at this point and I do not know how to put them on the web, I wish I had a friend who could help me with that and to help me open a webside, I really want to show what I can do with coins and close up magic in general.

Mano.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I would like to see that too Mano. I have doing "Hanging Coins" the Roth way for a good while, but I am open mimded to other methods.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
787 Posts

Profile of tedski
Take a look at some of Kainoa's techniques in Coins on Edge - pendulum hanging coins is a great alternative in between Roth's edge grip and Downs palm.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Hi tedski, actually I have been working with Kainoa's "Coins on Edge" daily for a while now and I love his techniques. I agree with your sentiments too. Its a lot of work, but very satisfying when you can accomplish some of the methods he prescribes.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
I am lucky to have seen some of Mano's original work. mMan this guy....mi hermano is something else. A well kept secret indeed. Mano, can't wait to see whatts new.

Back to the dp and Hanging coins....

I use both depending on the size of the coins. If the size is just right and I am performing for some magician friends I use diff palm within the same effect. It was designed (The Original) to use the edge grip for a reason. With all the available palm out there, Mr. Roth probably saw a strength in that sleight. As I have said , it depends on the size of the coins. Its probably dependent on the hand size and structure of the magician. I would stick with what works smoothest for me as well as what looks and feel natural to me.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hanging coins with Downs Palm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL