The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Golly day! Brill LIVES! (in Cuba) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2410 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
http://www.funcollector.com/pictures/amusement_park.html

That's a link to a photo gallery of cobbled-together carnival rides in Cuba. I can't swear they're made from Brill plans, but they very well might be.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Oh that was a GEM! Thanks for the link! I love that! The spirit of Brill if not his plans..and I don't think they are...maybe one...nah...somebody has a plumber in the family. haha.
Also they must not have Lawyers there!

Note: Those with kids, be careful of some of the links on that page.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2902 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
My, oh my! Now those are thrill rides.

Todd
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
It was finding a Brill Bible that was the epiphany of my life. The plans for the truck grind show and trailer grind show and especially an ad for Peter Hennen in the back started me off in 1971. We had many conversations on thje phone...he was quite a character. I've told this before but his plans were a bit less than accurate. What he would do in some cases was to extrapolate the overall measurements. In other words he would put the tape measure to a strut on a Ferris Wheel and then extrapolate the rest of the sizes of the parts from that single measurement!! He was basically a newspaperman with a love for the outdoor show biz...and he passed that love on to thousands of would be showmen...he showed us it COULD be done. I have tried to carry on with that goal and pass that to as many as I could...I owe it ALL to AK Brill. That beibng said...many of his plans were pretty much undecipherable (blurry old mimeographs) and unbuildable but the treasures they instigated and the dreams they put the foundation stone into, were legion.
AK Brill's BIBLE truly was for me.
Higley's Doug's Museum
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1346 Posts

Profile of handa
Here's a link to a pair of DIY rides that friends of mine put together and co-own:

http://www.therainbowexpress.com/index.html

They were proactive with compliance w/ state regulations before it was mandatory for them and take great care to ensure the safety of everyone involved. They are among the busiest of family entertainers that I know locally!

My daughter loves the train and I've never had second thoughts about putting her on it, but I know the degree of detail and care the family put into the construction and operation of their little amusement ride.

Yes, it can be done and safely, too!

Chris
Metone
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Metone
Where can one obtain the AK Brill Bible? Besides ebay. any ideas? thanks
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2410 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2007-02-22 21:32, Metone wrote:
Where can one obtain the AK Brill Bible? Besides ebay. any ideas? thanks

A complete copy, page for page, is the "tiny seed" that started my (brag, brag...) massive e-book ON THE MIDWAY.

It's a steal at $9.99 from http://www.goodmagic.com/websales

As for the plans, there's a mess of em (reproduction, of course) on eBay these days.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Ross your carnival CD disc is awesome. Highly (ie: Higley) recommended!!!!!!!!!
Higley's Doug's Museum
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2410 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Sometimes I just gotta sit down and ponder ... isn't it amazing that this little guy, who very few people ever heard of, can have made something that lives on so vigorously long after he's gone?

The plans are still used by some to build joints and games and to frame shows. And I'd wager money that somewhere in the world there's at least one ride made from his plans and still working.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
I have to second Dougs' comment re:"On The Midway"..really excellent..Ross also produced "The Carnivals Come and Gone" a great trip into the past..Thanks Ross..

all the best,
John Smetana
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Ross is a veritable fountain of carnival knowledge. I wonder if he has any connections for some good ol' white lightning?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
You mean White Lightnin'?

No 'g's please.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5105 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Doug's right. The thing about 'g's, is there's a string attached.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2410 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Nah, I don't have a white lightnin' connection - but I can tell you that if Brill had made plans for a still, it would have involved a washing machine tub, a surplus WWII flamethrower, and mash made from leftover carnival corn-dog batter.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Whoa Ross you forget?...Brill DID have plans for a Still. It was and is my favorite Brill plan...

The Wonders Of Moonshine Show

A grind show featuring a Working Still as a centerpiece. I always wanted this set up.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5105 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Maybe that would explain all the great detail! But I can't help think that drinking something from a machine like that, would put anybody into an automatic spin cycle.

I still have mine, and some of the plans he sent out. For those who don't know, detail isn't the basis for many of the plans. They're still worth it.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

So, would that be a Brill still plan?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
I'm pretty sure that I could probibly dig something up around here.

yeah yeah, backwoods Iowa and all.

Funny note though, and ex of mine's grandfather was a moonshiner durring the prohibition days.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

...And, if it weren't for prohibition and 'shiners, there'd be no NASCAR
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Golly day! Brill LIVES! (in Cuba) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL