We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Kolossal Killer! (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22519 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Those that believe will believe what they want. There are many types of performers, those that believe in the audience being entertained and those that want the audience to thinks the performer is really a mental giant. Thus 2 different endings.

If you want the audience shocked, laughing, smiling and happy you visited them, will chose the off ending. The ending with only how did you know that, and the attention is all on the performer will chose the more serious ending.

One is the position of an entertainer, the other is that of mentalist and glory seeker for himself. Or it could be said one is an professional and the other a beginner.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1104 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I'm not quite following your logic here, wmhegbli. When I perform with KK it's not a matter of which way I choose to end the routine, rather it depends which way the spectator goes. If he or she goes with one of THE cards, then it's a direct hit; whereas if he or she goes with an "off" card, then the extra ending is employed. Both endings are good, even though there's a subtle difference in feeling to them; but I doubt one could say that only a beginner would "choose" to go with the first ending and only a pro would go with the "off" ending. Both endings can be entertaining. Cheers.

Respectfully,
MJ
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22519 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I read through this entire thread and there were some that would not use the 'off' ending at all. That is what I was refering to in my previous comments. Those that refuse to see the entertaining element of the 'off' ending. I realize it can be dead on, but myself and other local magicians perfer the 'off' ending and actually hope it turns out that way.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Amen.

So be it if the "hit" is dead on, but I LOVE being off and really hope that's the way it will happen every time I perform this piece WHICH IS A LOT. Smile

What so many people have yet to realize in their work is that crucial "dip" in effect - that beautiful moment in any dramatic showpiece where it seems things may have gotten away from the performer.

There is so much to be said for being OFF. It stops the energy from moving forward or as Eugene calls it, "takes away their ball." And here the energy, expectations and impact of the effect builds up like a dam that eventually crumbles under the weight of that which it was supposed to contain.

That beautiful moment where everything is stopped...MAGIC is brewing.

"Have you ever played a game of skill where you JUST KNEW you were going to miss the shot in front of you, so you took a few moments beforehand to re-adjust your position, take a deep breath, plant your feet again and really focus your energy?"

When I turn that card over it's an EXPLOSION. Gotta love THE DIP and learn to use it theatrically and dramatically. It's so much better than simply pulling the card out of your wallet and hitting it dead-on. I can't believe people don't understand this and I've got to agree with wmhegbli when he said it's the difference in mindset between the professional and a beginner. I pray to be "off" when I perform KK and it's been in my everyday wallet for over 12 years now. It will be in there 20 years from now. I perform this piece in informal situations as well as on stage and it's among the best money I've ever spent on magic or mentalism.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - not to detract from the wonderful wallets out there being made for this effect, but I use my own NORMAL wallet: always have, always will!

-JF
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
I used to love Kolossal Killer. I used to use it all the time. Now however, I feel it is too "magicky" for me.

It feels like a trick. I suppose my perspectives change over time but I couldn't see a real psycic doing something like this.

I am sure many great performers pull it off and do it so conviningly that the spectator has no doubt in their mind that there was only one card in the wallet but I wouldnt feel good performing this anymore.

The effect is fantastic for the mentalist, but terrible for the psychic.

that's just my thoughts though.

M
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1104 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Hey TT2 (Jerome),

I hear what you're saying about the theatrical difference between the two endings of KK, and although I feel that BOTH endings are very strong (otherwise KK wouldn't be in my repertoire), I also prefer the "off" ending. However, I interpreted wmhegbli's words as saying that skilled individuals would choose the "off" ending while lesser skilled ones would choose the direct hit. He has since clarified his meaning, so now I can also see his rationale for what he stated. Obviously one doesn't really "choose" which ending to use with KK due to the mechanics of the trick, even if we secretly hope that the statistical chance (2:1) of being "off" holds up.

Best,
MJ
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
MJ,

Absolutely true, though what we DO SEE is many people who simply do not understand the "OBO" scenario or how to make it work out well for them (or why most of us love it even more than hitting dead on). This has led to many a beginner disregarding the piece entirely (good!) or worse, making up two wallets so they always hit dead-on.

-J
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1561 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
In the booklet accompanying Kolossal Killer, Kenton Knepper goes into great depth about the “OBO” principle and the way it should be delivered if required when performing the KK effect.

Tony Curtis

http://www.tonycurtismagic.com
www.tonycurtismagic.com
New & Preowned Magic Wagon Effects.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1104 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
By the way, Tony, I'm glad that you offer the envelopes for sale at your site. Whenever I've gone to Kenton's site they've been sold out. I've been using the "official" Kolossal Killer wallet that Kenton endorses for years and I like to use the envelopes. I just placed an order for a backup set of envelopes. Thanks!
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1561 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Quote:
On 2010-04-22 20:07, MJ Marrs wrote:
By the way, Tony, I'm glad that you offer the envelopes for sale at your site. Whenever I've gone to Kenton's site they've been sold out. I've been using the "official" Kolossal Killer wallet that Kenton endorses for years and I like to use the envelopes. I just placed an order for a backup set of envelopes. Thanks!

Anyone who needs the envelopes I have them in stock.

Tony Curtis

www.tonycurtismagic.com
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1561 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
You can now buy the Killer Wallet on its own.

http://www.wonderwizards.com

Tony Curtis
www.tonycurtismagic.com
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2576 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Wmhegbil wrote that there are,... "Those that refuse to see the entertaining element of the 'off' ending. I realize it can be dead on, but myself and other local magicians perfer the 'off' ending and actually hope it turns out that way."

I think I am one of 'those' people that is being referred to. I don't, though, refuse to see the entertaining element of the off ending. What I see in it is an obvious path to a solution to the effect.

My point was that John Archer's presentation makes sure that there is, in effect, no "off ending". The off ending is built into his presentational set up so if it happens it makes sense within the routine and doesn't appear as an ad hoc get out which, I believe, it otherwise does.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
allinking17
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of allinking17
This effect is always on me and I use it every single day. don't underestimate its simplicity.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I LOVE THE OFF ENDING!!! Help elimante the thought that you have a FULL DECK IN YOUR WALLET!!! Why would it say off by one if you have that one too in your wallet? I prefer the off by one...
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1561 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Sorry guys Kolossal Killer is currently out of stock.

Tony Curtis
www.tonycurtismagic.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2010-08-03 19:11, paisa23 wrote:
I LOVE THE OFF ENDING!!! Help elimante the thought that you have a FULL DECK IN YOUR WALLET!!! Why would it say off by one if you have that one too in your wallet? I prefer the off by one...

But, does this not bring up the question of whether or not you have "off by two" or "off by three" etc. in your wallet?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1561 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Kolossal Killer Limited Edition is coming very soon.

http://www.wonderwizards.com

Tony Curtis
www.tonycurtismagic.com
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6991 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Off by one is very powerful. It does not tip the method if you set it up right (Mark Elsdon's script in Heirloom Redux does this beautifully).
NUMBERED - A killer predicted card at any number out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/numbered.html
mmstudios
View Profile
New user
Frazeysburg,Ohio
30 Posts

Profile of mmstudios
I don't like the off by one for two reasons(well more than two but two main ones)
1- you cant hand out the card if you are exactly right.people may suspect you hasve a series of double cards, or maybe they don't know EXACTLY, but they may be suspicious of the card and want to see it.it would also just be nice to hand them the card as a souvineer anyway.
2-its harder to show this more than once to the same group.it would be odd to sometimes doi the one off gag and other times be exactly right. that would seem suspicious to anyone I would think.

I would rather just be off by one now and then naturally without showing the back. it would still be impressive and maybe more believable to be off now and then. you could then show this to the same group regularly and they would even be interested to see how close you get. imagine seeing this and the magician is off by one.pretty impressive already. then the next time he is spot one and hands you the card!that would seem real to me. the one off thing seems more like a gag than serious mind reading.

what I REALLY want to figure out is how to do this(with no outs), with the crossroads/silent running idea of handing them the deck first.
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
459 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
As for "thought card in wallet" plot, I love Mark Elsdon "On The Mark"!
I just bought this wallet few weeks ago and I added it in my routine immediately.
It's very clever and clean effect.
I got so many positive feedback with this one.
If you are willing to perform "thought card in wallet" but don't like "off by one" principle, try "On the Mark"!

YuYen
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Kolossal Killer! (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL