The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Goshman pinch spellbound change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
Hi fellows, I was watching the video Palms of Steel volume 1 and I got stuck with one technique in the first effect of the video, the effect is called New York Spellbound.

I was wondering if some of you or maybe Curtis himself can give me some advice or tips becouse I'm having trouble with this change. I perform the first part of the spellbound change, but when I get stuck with one coin in goshman pinch and the other in view, how can I bring the goshman pinched to view while transfering the coin in view to goshman without crashing both coins one to the other.

Or maybe you can point me in the right direction on where I can learn better the transfer of the coin in goshman to the palm of the hand.

Thanks in advance
Pablo
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Are you working on Howie Schwarzman's toss change?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
I do not know exactly the name of the change, as far as I know Curtis mentions Mr. York for a source to learn to work with the goshman pinch, and I guess the change is from Mr. York

The first part of the change is having a finger palmed half dollar coin and a pennie in view, you goshman pinch the pennie and when you open the hand the half dollar is in view. Curtis in this routine does something else (wich I'm not going to explain here wich is part of the routine he does) and then makes another change having a coin in the palm of the hand and a pennie goshman pinched, he brings the pennie goshman pinched to the palm of the hand at the same time he transfered the previous displayed coin to goshman pinch.

Best regards
Pablo
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Tenki pinch sorry its peeve lol
mjb16
View Profile
Loyal user
Ossining, New York
208 Posts

Profile of mjb16
That only happens on the last change I believe...I bring the coin that in view to a classic palm and then drop the coin in pinch into view. It happens in one motion, and it looks as if the coin is squeezed and changed. Hope this helps.

Michael
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
I haven't realised that but I think Curtis made something different, he really brins one coin from goshman and puts the other back in goshman, but I'll try your suggestion in conjunction with the Fred Kaps subteltly.

Thanks
Pablo

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
The toss change(H.S) can be done 2 handed or one. My first reference was Bobo..then a few years ago I met Mr. Schwartzman in Boston. These days I do it one handed. It took many years before I showed it in public. I have some of Mr. Kams work but not the first volume...

I would suggest PM him. He has been most helpful over the years.

Sometimes I take other folks routines and adapt them to my abilities and venues.(angles...etc..)

Other times I have use only part of a routine till my abilities catch up with the requirements.

Enjoy the process. Hands on with someone in front of you is a big plus. We have lots of great coin workers in the Kansas City (USA)area to draw from.

Harris "palms of aluminum foil" deutsch
for a lighter touch in coin magic
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

If you are ready to go for Deep Backclip... you can find a nice change in the September issue of Genii Magazine (among several other utility items). Smile
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Roth also has a utility change for DBC , flash chnage
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Roth's flash change... you gotta see this in person to believe it.

If you get a chance to see David Roth ask him about it and ... well you might not believe your eyes.

:)

(the change I suggested from the September Genii is not a hand-to-hand toss but one handed a dbc2dbc exchange)
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
Jonathan that's exactly what I was looking for, a dbc2dbc change, well Curtis makes a good job on teaching the changes in the New York routine, but actually he does not go deep on the trasnfer of the back clipped coin to the palm and then bring the other coin to back clip or goshman.

Now with practise and seeing a cuople of times more Curtis perform this change and practising a lot and with your help I think I'm getting it down.

Unfortunately I would never be able to see David Roth in the near future since I'm from Argentina, unless he came to argentina for a convention or a conference or I could make a trip to the US to see him.

I would love to hang out and see many of you here people at the Café but for the time being it is impossible.

Best Regards
Pablo

Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Flash change is still worth study, its not technically to hard but requires precise timing to look good
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

There's a video of the dbc2dbc on shake wiker's site.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Pablo, I'm happy to hear taht this is coming along for you. I did not describe my method for doing this in much detail, since it depends a lot on the size of your fingers, and the size of the coins you choose to use. Also, I assumed that anyone who could do this would be able to figure out the details himself.

In case you;re interested, however, I'll tell you that when I do it, my thumb pins the first coin to my index finger. This frees the second and fourth fingers to grip the pinched coin at opposite points. The third finger curls, and rotates the pinched coin into the hand, in much the same way that the coin rotates into and out of a full backpalm. As soon as that happens, and the fingers are still curled, the thumb slides the first coin into pinch position.

This handling keeps the fingers between the coins, so there's little chance of "talking" and there's no need to classic palm either coin.

Good luck with this, it sounds like you're onthe right track.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
Hi Curtis thanks for your response, after watching and watching and watching in detail your video and your hands, I figured out the move, now I do exactly as you described above, I realised that when you made the switch you curled your third finger, so I figured out that's the way you bring back the goshman pinched coin into the palm.

For now it is coming along, I still have trouble with the change but Is becouse I do not feel quite confortable yet, but It will pass in the future.

Thanks again Curtis
Pablo

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Goshman pinch spellbound change (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL