The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Are Your Figures in Your Will? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Here's a happy topic!

As I move through middle age, it is dawning on me that my figures will most likely outlast me. None of my kids is into vent, so I am beginning to think about what I'll want done with my figures after I've gone. I know there are figure collectors and museums, but I was curious to know what arrangements you all have thought about or made.

Thanks. Hope I haven't bummed you all out.

Bob
Matt_24
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Matt_24
Interesting topic. If you go to http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com you can check out photos showing a portion of my friend Dan's 70+ figures. He has a son who is an accomplished magician, and plans on leaving his collection to him. I guess that is the most common occurence, understandably. I would suggest when doing that, trying to keep a log of your collection with estimated values, so should something happen the recipient of your collection cannot get duped by a collector and lose a lot of money should they decide to sell the collection. Not a fun topic, but an important one.
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
y most succesful puppet ( I am mainly a children's entertainer) is a duck that I put together and take apart in front of the children. It was made for me (the present model) by a mum. It cost me £20.00 and I am booked for this darned duck - not me and my magic/ventriloquism.
This duck, in various inexpensive forms has been around for some 30 years.
My wife has told me that when I am put in the box, the duck goes with me. What happens to the Axtell ones I have no idea!

Best of,

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation x 2
Dutch illusionist
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
96 Posts

Profile of Dutch illusionist
Quote:
On 2007-02-23 09:28, Bob Baker wrote:
Here's a happy topic!

As I move through middle age, it is dawning on me that my figures will most likely outlast me. None of my kids is into vent, so I am beginning to think about what I'll want done with my figures after I've gone. I know there are figure collectors and museums, but I was curious to know what arrangements you all have thought about or made.

Thanks. Hope I haven't bummed you all out.

Bob

Find a loyal student so you can teach the art and keep he magic alive or send the puppets to me Smile
Magical greetings,

Dutch illusionist
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I will eventually sell or give it to a qualified vent of my choice.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Okay, here's another oldie topic I'm digging up, (there's only one more after this, I promise).

I've thought about this only in general terms, but the years, as they have a tendency to do as you get older, seem to be going by more quickly, so I really need to do something more firmly than thinking generally about it.
There was a time when I thought I might be one of those who would have his main figure buried with him, but that thought came mostly from 1). not being able to imagine my main figure with anyone else and 2). there was a period of time when Vent Haven didn't seem like a good idea.
The Vent Haven situation has changed greatly, and now have pretty much decided that's where my main figure would go. My first preference would be for one of my kids to keep him, and that will be specified that if they so desire, he would be theirs with the proviso that should they want to keep him, and a day comes they no longer want him around, then they donate him to Vent Haven.
I have one other figure that I would also really like for my kids to keep, and the same would hold true for that figure should they not want him.
As for the rest of my small "family", they could all be sold, but I would take Matt's suggestion of having some idea of the value of them noted so that no one could take advantage, plus, I have some very good vent friends who I trust and would gladly be helpful in making sure that didn't happen.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Glad you resurrected this, I never saw the thread. My main character is a Pavlov's soft figure. I highly doubt anyone would want him. I do have one of only three basswood "Spoonheads" carved by Robert McCray. These were the beginnings of the Bighead figures. I have already told the family that it should go to VentHaven. I have plans to use him a few more times, and may donate him myself in a couple of ten years...
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

DaveRobison
View Profile
New user
Mobile, Alabama
36 Posts

Profile of DaveRobison
This topic sparked a conversation between my wife and I...she had never thought about it but said naturally she would have eventually thought of the Vent Haven Museum after the dust had settled.

My oldest son immediately disliked the idea.(He's a hoarder, and never gets rid of anything)

I've always liked the idea that "Skyler" would wind up at VentHaven. Whether I become famous or not, I think Finis's work should be admired by other vents for years to come. It's sad to think of him sitting there, never talking again, but would hope some privileged vents would get the chance ever so often to pick him up and ask him about his life in one of the chairs at VentHaven.

Dave
I live on Facebook. Come visit me, I get lonely.
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
The Ventriloquist Central Collection has already had a few figures donated and are on display and also pictured on the web site for all to see. It could be another place of rest for your figure.
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
My wife knows exactly how much the figures are and the best prices to sell them. She knows the right people to email or call when its time for her to sell the figures Smile

Leaving my main figure to my eldest son and the back-up figure to my youngest son.

The Custom Selberg which is an ongoing project and yet to materialze, is by far my most expensive figure... that one might just have to be sold and proceeds will provide funds for the kids I will leave behind... so please Dan, give it a decent appraisal Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
DaveRobison
View Profile
New user
Mobile, Alabama
36 Posts

Profile of DaveRobison
Hey Dan,

What happens to your collection when you die? Also you don't necessarily keep all your figures, do you? You sell some, right? Can a vent specify that you not sell them?

Dave
I live on Facebook. Come visit me, I get lonely.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
I will probably leave them in my museum or sell them to raise funds. That's why I want to create puppet museum/theatre cum institute so that this artform cancontinue here in my country.
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
Those figures that have been donated to the Ventriloquist Central Collection are permanant residents. NOT for sale. I do occasionally sell a figure as you can see on the Ventriloquist Central Marketplace but it is only when something of greater value for the collection has been aquired. The collection now numbers over 160 figures. I am on an even keel with WS Berger with his collection. He put a collection of 550 or so figures together in 50 years of collecting. I have put just over 160 in 10 years. I am actually a bit ahead of him. Also when he collected they were NOT scarce or valuable. That made it a lot easier for him to collect the golden age figures.

I am planning to do a museum but it is very hard to get the grants right now. Who ever says it is easy to get the government to help is crazy. But I am working on it.

Ventriloquist Central is going to be celebrating its 5th birthday next Oct. so we are having a birthday bash on Oct 8th 2011 and at that time my collection will be open for all attending to see.
Dan
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
This has been on my mind a lot of late.
Dan's right. There really should be a building that is created specifically to be a museum for vent figures...and maybe also hand puppets and marionettes. I'm aware of his excellent collection and VentHaven's. There's also a Hazelle museum in Kansas City that features their mass market marionettes over the years. A couple of others I'm vaguely aware of.
A collection like Dan's could, perhaps, have its own room which Dan and his heirs would essentially rule and be in charge of and make decisions for. The VenHaven stuff should be in there. And all of our collections that we worry about.

For instance, my first "Louie" figure is a rebuilt Jerry Mahoney mass market figure from the 1950's--60's. One of the ball and socket necks. I rebuilt the face with Celastic (a plastic-impregnated cloth that, soaked in acetone, became soft and could be used like papier mache', then became rock hard when dry. Not around any more apparently there were some carcinogen issues with the fumes!) and rewigged him and, perhaps a decade ago, built a slightly larger body and added different hands about five years ago.
I used him for about forty years or so...then replaced him two years ago with a larger wooden Hartz figure that bears an uncanny resemblance.
But now, Louie number one sits by himself in his case...and I feel guilty.
And I worry about Louie II and Huck and Cooter and Sylvia when I'm gone.

Yeah, yeah, I know...I'm being kind of silly about it. But that doesn't mean it doesn't weigh on me a bit, y'know?

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, I know...I'm being kind of silly about it. But that doesn't mean it doesn't weigh on me a bit, y'know?

Oh, I know and can relate, and as I'm getting older, it weighs on me all the more.

Matt_24
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Matt_24
Hi Dave,

Man, it's been a long time! Cool to see you on here!

Matt
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
From the other side, I was "willed" a figure. Though it was not easy to see a friend die from cancer, it was quite the honor and blessing to be given his puppet. He actually gave it to me prior to his death.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I was asked if I would take a figure from someone if anything happened to them because no one in their family is interested, and accept responsibility as to what would become of the figure when my time came. Naturally I accepted, but of course, I'm hoping not to take possession any time soon.

CaptKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of CaptKirk
No, I haven't thought about what would happen to my vent family if I were to pass away. I would imagine my wife would have one of my older children sell most of my stuff that she didn't want to keep for sentimental reasons. IF she ever found out HOW MUCH I spent on my vent figures, I think my will would be read a lot faster than I want!! I guess the best thing to do is leave a letter telling her how much the "guys" are worth.
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
Also please remember that if a figure is donated to Ventriloquist Central Collection it is photographed and put up on the site for everyone to see forever. I take nothing away from Vent Haven as Mr Berger did all he could to preserve and show his collection but today if a figure is donated it is put away not to be seen again. They have no more room to display any more without constructing another building to house them. Many are now in storage. Just remember Ventriloquist Central Collection is another viable venue for a resting place for your figure.

Also if you are interested in an appraisal of your figure I do offer that service for a nominal charge and it can be used for insurance purposes. I believe that insuring your figures is an inexpensive way to have peace of mind for loss due to theft or damage.

dan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Are Your Figures in Your Will? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL