The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » The Dennis Loomis Doll House (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Has anyone here at the Café built a Doll House illusion? This is the first project of this size that I have attempted, but should be the first of many more. I will post pictures later.

I am working on the base to the Doll House and making progress. Tomorrow the base should be complete and I can start on the Doll House.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I have built the Loomis Dollhouse. My base was made of fiberglass. What is the size of your assistant? My lady assistant is 5'5" and weighs 100 lbs. It is a tight fit for her, and she fits just right.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Here is another picture of my dollhouse.

I am not yet happy with the paint job inside to create the illusion of depth. The back wall is light violet.

The design and colors I made are different from the Loomis dollhouse version except for the doors and window size. I am still open to any suggestions for this.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Looks very good Lou, well done. Might even attempt this myself some time soon. Can anyone post a link to the plans please?

Thanks

Mark
Mark Daniel
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Actually Lou, I was just looking at the paint job on the inside (Before I read you weren't happy with it) and was thinking it was looking really good!
I love it!

At heart, I am a bizarrist...even my stage stuff tends to have a bizarre flair...
I wonder if I could make a haunted one...
Hrmmm...
Gwyd
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
It was a fun project to build. Everything was to easy to make except for the base. The measurement for the gimmick panel support seems to be wrong so I made my own changes.

This illusion is best performed in a stage or theater setting with wings so it can be rolled in and out easily. It would be difficult to use this on hotel functions with an elevated stage. Assistants would need to carry it up and that would look obvious.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Your dollhouse illusion looks great. What size wheels did you use, Lou Hilario?
My wheels just arrived today and I think they may look too large. I ordered 4" wheels with rubber bushings that fit up inside the tube legs and when compressed the rubber holds the wheels in place. I may return them and get the smallest size in that style, which is 3 1/2". My base is almost completed.

Dan
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Nice job, Lou! One of these years, I plan to visit the Philippines. Hopefully, I can see one of your shows when I visit.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Quote:
On 2007-02-27 20:56, Zazz wrote:

Your dollhouse illusion looks great. What size wheels did you use, Lou Hilario?
My wheels just arrived today and I think they may look too large. I ordered 4" wheels with rubber bushings that fit up inside the tube legs and when compressed the rubber holds the wheels in place. I may return them and get the smallest size in that style, which is 3 1/2". My base is almost completed.

Dan

I use 3 inch diameter red hard plastic wheels. This size is good enough to roll the prop easily. I had the steel pipe legs and fittings made in a machine shop.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I've always LOVED the Loomis Doll House...but I've also always had problems with the base in the plans.

The double bevel in the plans just isn't "pretty"...

I've always wanted to see a Doll House on a base that looked more like a table a doll house would really rest on...in an attic or a house...and much less like an illusion base.

I made a hybrid version of this many years ago...on a tall table like the original doll house as pictured in Tarbell...on the tall antique looking table...and it was built onto the table a little diagonally so that it looked like it was separate. It was mostly successful. If I can find a picture of it, I'll post one. I'll have to dig through some old photo albums.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I think the interior looks GREAT! It appears deceptive to me, but then I can't see it "in person". Maybe you're being too hard on yourself...?

As for the base, it's the thing that put me off building this one. I think, were I to do this, I might consider the Wakeling-style base that uses the small feet to make the unit -- in this case, the house proper -- look like it's setting on the table or platform, rather than being a part of it.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Lou, that Doll House is outstanding!! The detail is really nice, but the simplicity of the design appears to keep it fully visible from the stage.

Makeupguy, I'd really like to see your Doll House photo. I love the idea of the offset position. I think bird cages and many other illusions could benefit from this simple concept. That, and what Starrpower mentioned, does wonders for enhancing the divided space illusion...something usually overlooked in most illusions that could benefit from it.

About 25 years ago, I made a Temple of Benares from self-drawn plans, and a couple years later made a Doll House. Neither used the improved designs, but today, I certainly would.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Very nice, Lou!

I would love to be able to build a Doll House and a Temple Of Benares, but I will probably never find enough time to actually do it. If I ever do, I would go with the Dennis Loomis plans.

Regan
Mister Mystery
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Nice job, Lou. Congratulations. Dennis' design and his concepts are terrific. His DVD is so full of ideas for other illusion concepts, it was one of the best purchases I've made. I'm going to make one as soon as I'm able to find the time.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
My base is completed, and three of the four sides of the house are cut out. I am having a great time building it. The House would probably be finished by now if my parents didn't decide to move.

Dan
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
It cracks me up that people are JUST NOW discovering the brilliance of this design.

I got the plans for this illusion in the late '70s or early '80s...and saw its brilliance then.

Well, guys...better late than never.

Thanks to Dennis Loomis for thinking so far outside the box that it took 30 years for the rest of the magic industry to finally "get it".
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Well, it's just been re-released. Don't feel so superior; the people here aren't as slow-witted as you imply...they've just been able to see this for the first time. Some of them weren't even BORN yet the first time around! Give 'em a break.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I bought my first Cups and Balls set a few years ago. I thought I was getting NEW, cutting-edge magic. LOL
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Very professional-looking, finished product you have, sir.
Wish that I had the skills to do the same.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Here is my almost finished dollhouse. It just needs to have the nail holes filled in, the non-brass hinges painted, and the wood polished. The exterior paint is a stucco-like texture and the wood is oak. The roof is hand glued individual cedar shingles. The interior has a custom hand-milled hardwood floor. The stonework is handcast so it is dimensional.

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff127......2284.jpg

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff127......2285.jpg

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff127......2287.jpg

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff127......2286.jpg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » The Dennis Loomis Doll House (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL