The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Rip-offs at Blackpool (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
177 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Hi Everyone

I just got back from The Blackpool Magic Convention 2007. I was stunned to see rip-offs for sale. The worst being an Origami built by Dominik (Italy)Openly being sold by a dealer for a shocking £2195. It was so poorly built you would not believe it.

The rip offs are not exclusive to illusions. I saw quite a bit of close-up stuff ripped off at a fraction of the cost of an original. One in particular where the actual inventor was in the room and another dealer was selling a copy openly at a fraction of the cost.

Does anyone know if this problem is ever discussed with the organisers of these events? Or is it simply a free for all "sell whatever you like" situation?

I am interested to hear your thoughts......

Thanks, Rich
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Rich,

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was just having a conversation with someone about that moments ago. From what I understand FISM also allows rip off dealers on their floor? Do ethics go out the window in favour of the price of a dealer booth??

I'd be curious to see the offical stand on this topic from Convention organizers. In fact I think I'd draft an open letter to some of the conventions and I'll be happy to post any responses I recieve here in the Café.

Best,

Tim
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Update...

I just emailed the president of the Blackpool Magic Club and asked for the official policy regards " unauthorized illusions" being displayed and sold at the convention.

What do you think the odds are of getting a response????

Best,

Tim
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
There should at least be a notice for the buyers that it isn't an authorized model. For myself and many of us, we can see'em a mile away. But for those new to the illusion world they may not know yet and could find out the hard way. I remember yearsa go going to an SAM convention and seeing a few copies there. To me they were obviouse but to my friend, he just didn't know the difference...he does now haha. But I definatly agree there should be some sort of guide line, or restrictions. Hope something positive comes of this.

Matt
davidbreth
View Profile
New user
Angeles City, Philippines
69 Posts

Profile of davidbreth
David Breth
Killed_CZ
View Profile
Regular user
Czech republic, Prague
173 Posts

Profile of Killed_CZ
David : great article Smile thanks for the link
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
So far no word from either of the two people I emailed at Blackpool ( big surprise there..LOL )

I did hear back from a member of the upcoming joint IBM/SAM 2008 convention however. They will have any knockoffs that they become aware of removed from the floor as such knockoffs are in violation of IBM/SAM ethics.

Best,

Tim
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The article was great, but so was the link to original vs. new effects. That was realy eye opening. Thanks!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
513 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
If Blackpool isn´t reacting satisfying and isn´t saying they won´t allow him to come once more, there is only one solution: Boycott!! Don´t support the convention any more (not as guest and not as performer). Don´t go there - tell it all honourful magic friends, so they avoid it as well!

He should be already known to the blackpool committee:
http://www.magicwebchannel.com/WAM3.htm
Is money the reason the still invite him / allow him to come? Or didn´t they know?
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I agree about the boycott. Imagine a world where Performers won't perform at a convention with ripoffs and magicians won't attend. That'd hit them in the pocket book more than the money lost from the rental of a booth selling rip offs.

FISM is no better to my knowledge as they also allow rip offs.

Best,

Tim
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
177 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Hi Tim

Boycotting is an interesting point. However it appears that a lot of magicians are simply unaware of this form of theft. While I was looking at that fake Origami in Blackpool an elderly "well known" Close-up Magician came over with a friend and started saying what a fantastic illusion it is. He was totally unaware he was staring at a unauthorized rip off.

A certain amount of education is required to general Magicians before any real action can be taken in my opinion. An article about rip-offs in Magic Magazine would do the job.

Rich
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Well, I believe that if we talk about it here on the Café, chances are that more and more people will get to know about FISM and Blackpool very "good" idea of allowing rip-offs in their event! Boycot guys, boycot! Good idea guys!
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Rich

I totally agree. That was the case when I was there two years ago. They also had Modern Art cabinets and Sub trunks where you could see gaps around the t**p! The sad thing is that some had 'sold' stickers on them. Now that was two years ago. It surprises me that the organiser didn't pick up on it then and respond straight away by banning them. I couldn't make it last year or this year but would have thought that somebody responsible would have made it their job to stop this clown reattending. Last I heard there was a long waiting list for traders booths. Getting rid of this a-hole surely would create another 2 stands worth of money, owing to the amount of space he was taking up.

Mark
Mark Daniel
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
UPDATE...

I did indeed hear from one of the Blackpool organizers. I stand corrected on their policy. Here ( as promised ) is their response.

"We did NOT have Illusion Builder Dominik from Italy as a dealer at our Convention - I have never heard of him.Blackpool Convention does not knowingly allow copies of any trick or illusion to be sold at our Convention."

After re-reading this original post I noticed the post did not say that Dominik was at the Convention ( as I had thought it did ) but that a dealer had a knockoff built by him for sale. I imagine that the organisers of Blackpool had far too much on their hands running the convention to notice the knockoff. Just goes to show you that if you spot a Knockoff.... DON'T be afraid to report it to the Convention organizers. You may be surprised with the results. Something may be done about it and if not ...at least you'll know the Conventions real policy on ethics from first hand experience.

Best,

Tim
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Good job Tim! Thanks to you for taking the time to write them.
Eric
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
I have a question about this. For someone who has not been exposed to the amount of material as you guys and is not aware of what is what, how do you know what is a knock-off and what is not?

When does an item need to be authorized and when is it just public domain?

If something is similar looking and cheaper, does it necessarily mean it is a knock-off, or could it just be a similar item?

I'd like to know because, while I am a bargain shopper, I do not want to support someone who is being dishonest or shady.

Thanks,
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Rick,

that's a mighty big topic to answer in one post. Its one of those things where the knowledge comes from experience . Until you have such experience it might be best to run possible purchases by fellow Café members for there advice as to whether it is a knockoff or not.

Best,

Tim
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Thanks Tim, guess my best bet is to run it through the Review section before buying then.

Keep up the good fight though.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
177 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Hi Tim

Well done for e-mailing the organizers. I guess I should have been clearer that it was not Dominik himself at Blackpool. However the sales guys selling the rip-off Origami were quite clear that it had been built by Dominik of Italy.

Habu, Tim is right it does come with experience and research, however when it comes to the Origami illusion once you have seen a real one built by either John Gaughan or Wellington (The only 2 builders licensed to build it) you can tell a knock off from a mile away. It is just blindingly obvious that Dominik has never seen a real one up close because his version does not use the same method that makes a real one so deceptive.

Rich
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
I was surprised to see Losander in the same hall as another dealer who was selling rip-off floating tables right at the entrance! This was so blatant and wrong! I can't imagine how Dirk could have walked passed and not noticed them!
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Rip-offs at Blackpool (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL