The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Rip-offs at Blackpool (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-03-03 12:42, LeeAlex2002 wrote:
I was surprised to see Losander in the same hall as another dealer who was selling rip-off floating tables right at the entrance! This was so blatant and wrong! I can't imagine how Dirk could have walked passed and not noticed them!

I can top that one LOL. Dirk once lectured at a Magic Club that was held in the back of a Magic Store. When he arrived for the lecture they had a knockoff of his table on display ( and for sale ) in the store.

I say we should all be more vocal about knock offs. If you see one and don't want to make a stink at least get a photo of it so it can be shown to the Convention organizers that someone pulled a fast one on them. They will at least know who it is and prevent them from doing a repeat the following year.

Best,

Tim
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Thank you for that Tim - unbelieveable!

Dirk Losander does now have a special offer where you can part trade in your "rip off" table against $500.00 towards an original table. He is obviously aware of the situation.

When you say "prevent them from doing ta repeat the following year" I think it would be a better idea to not allow the dealer to attend the convention again. This would certainly hit home harder than just a "please do not bring rip offs with you".
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-03-04 04:46, LeeAlex2002 wrote:
Thank you for that Tim - unbelieveable!

Dirk Losander does now have a special offer where you can part trade in your "rip off" table against $500.00 towards an original table. He is obviously aware of the situation.

When you say "prevent them from doing ta repeat the following year" I think it would be a better idea to not allow the dealer to attend the convention again. This would certainly hit home harder than just a "please do not bring rip offs with you".

Hi Lee,

Yes... that's what I meant. Use the photo evidence to prove ( to the convention organizers ) that the dealer had a rip off in the hopes that they would ban him. My educated guess is that they would not ban him but simply tell him that he was not allowed such ripoffs in the future. Each convention would handle it differently but at least someone stepping forward with the photo would show the convention people that their attendees are award the knock offs existed and give then the opportunity to act.

Years back at one of the IBM conventions a knock off was reported and the dealer had to remove it from his floorspace or leave. He was none to happy about removing it but he did.

Best,

Tim
Charlie the Tuna
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore Maryland
111 Posts

Profile of Charlie the Tuna
As much as cell phones annoy. The camera feature on most phones comes in very handy. In this situation you can click and send the image ditrectly to the staff while continuing to review the show.

Assuming the staff has on-site email, or will share there phone number.

Charlie
Charlie,
A Magician with Good Taste.

Only perform an illusion once. The first time is magical, the second is an education.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-03-06 10:04, Charlie the Tuna wrote:
As much as cell phones annoy. The camera feature on most phones comes in very handy. In this situation you can click and send the image ditrectly to the staff while continuing to review the show.

Assuming the staff has on-site email, or will share there phone number.

Charlie

Now there is a sneaky thinker! Remind me never to get on his bad side. LOL

Excellent idea Charlie.

Best,

Tim
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
The first illusion I bought, I did so without consulting with anyone. I wanted too keep this "great deal" a secret to myself. $4500 after the purchase, and $2200 in upgrading it to make it stage worthy. 9 years later it now sits in my storage never seeing a stage. A total knock off. I jumped into illusions way too quick when I was teenager, and now, ethically, can't use this illusion on stage.

My lesson learned. Never buy an illusion without doing your research first. The best resource for that is this very site.
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
This subject has been discussed many times and although the conventions letting in these dealers and also the magazines that accept their adverts are at fault in opening veins of trade to these rip offs...ultimately its the purchasers of these inferior items that hold the key...its simple...DON"T BUY THEM!!! if you can't afford a genuine illusion wait...save up and get it when you can and in the waiting time put in some smaller more affordable stage magic to fill the time in your act.
This is a pipe dream of course as it will never happen mainly because the acts out there that are working for smaller fees will always look to fill their act with as much as possible for as little as possible regardless of deceptiveness, ethics and quality. Wouldn't it be a 'lovely' idea (another pipe dream) if all the Magic Clubs, Organisations and higher powers to be in this small industry pooled some funds into legally fighting this somehow and banned members who support these inferior props. I am sure if a rip off builder thought he was going to get 'properly' dragged through court he may think twice about making these poor items for sale to the market place...or maybe we need a Sopranos approach which would be much more effective I'm sure..put my name down for the latter!!!
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
Peter Harrison
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Peter Harrison
As great as the Blackpool Convention was this year and as great as many of the dealers were.... I did spot a lot of rip-offs myself. I made a mental note of who was and who wasn't being ethical (in my opinion).

P.H.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Rip-offs at Blackpool (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL