The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best place to buy books on the Internet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
spencerpeterson
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
186 Posts

Profile of spencerpeterson
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 00:30, Bill Palmer wrote:
First, about shipping. Shipping costs are often determined by the shipping companies, not by the dealer. Good dealers do what they can to find the least expensive shipping, but once an item goes overseas, then there may not be a cheap alternative. For those of you in Europe, try sending a book that weighs 1 kg to the States. See what it costs. Don't forget to add the cost of the shipping box and the packing material. If the shipping is low, then the profit needs to be made up somewhere else.

Regarding Tannen's. You must be joking Spencer. They are the snottiest, rudest people I have ever dealt with. If you don't live in Noo Yawk, then you are a hick, and they don't give a spit.

I ordered a set of the Garcia cups from them a while back. It was supposed to come with a bag, a set of balls and a book. The bag and balls were not included, and neither was the book. I called to ask about this. Their reply, "Uh. The listing is wrong. There are no balls and bag."

"What about the book?"

"Oh, it's just the Tom Osborne book. Don't you already have that?"

"YES I ALREADY HAVE IT! I PAID FOR THE ^*&(*%)$# BOOK AND I WANT IT!"

Hank Lee is a different situation. When I was beginning to collect cups, I wanted a set of Gazzo cups. The only place that listed them on the internet was Hank Lee. School for Scoundrels was out of them. So I called up. I got an elf.

"Do you have the Gazzo Cups in stock?"

"Yes."

"Can you actually see them from where you are sitting?"

"Yes."

"Can you put your hands on them right now?"

"Yes."

"Okay. I want them," and I gave them my credit card info.

Two weeks later, no cups. So I called them. "Where are my cups."

"We had to back order them?"

"WHAAAAATTTT????"

"We've been out of them for months. Can't get them."

"You told me you could see them from where you were sitting. That you could put your hands on them."

"Uhhhhh"

"Let me speak to Hank."

So I spoke to Hank. I told him the whole story. He replied "BSBSBSBSBSBS" (I'm paraphrasing now.)

So I told him to forget about them, cancel the order and credit my card. It still took several weeks for the credit to come through.

Now, here's what I would advise you when you order from any dealer. ANY dealer. If they don't fill your order within a reasonable length of time, I think the federal guideline is 30 days, you can check on that, call them, cancel the order, and if they don't refund your money in 14 days, dispute the transaction.

If you pay via paypal, you have 45 days to dispute a transaction.

Do not let ANY dealer take your money without sending your merchandise.

How long ago did this happen? And thanks for calling my friends snobs and Noo Yawkers.
www.cleardeception.wordpress.com

The Magic of Spencer Peterson
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
322 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
I am another one who had a bad experience with Hank Lee. I will never give them my business again!
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Straight from Hank Lee's site:
"We will always match anyone's advertised price on any item. So, for the best price and a little more, we are the place to be!"

I see a couple items on HL that are not listed with other dealers, and I want a couple other things that are cheaper elsewhere. I want to buy from one place to save on shipping (to Australia). I email HL about price matching and they gave me a flat "no" to price matching! Didn't even drop a few dollars.

I will never order from Hocus Pocus again either. Terrible customer service and as they didn't fulfill their obligation to declare the contents of the parcel I got hit with expensive customs duties.

I've had good experiences from Ammar's store front and i-magicnation.
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
I've purchases a LOT from Hocus Pocus, and they've always been great.
Lumas
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
202 Posts

Profile of Lumas
I placed my first order with Hocus Pocus a week or so ago and then sent me the wrong item. I spoke to customer service and they corrected the problem, but I was still annoyed at the fact of them shipping me the wrong item.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2008-07-11 22:44, spencerpeterson wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 00:30, Bill Palmer wrote:
First, about shipping. Shipping costs are often determined by the shipping companies, not by the dealer. Good dealers do what they can to find the least expensive shipping, but once an item goes overseas, then there may not be a cheap alternative. For those of you in Europe, try sending a book that weighs 1 kg to the States. See what it costs. Don't forget to add the cost of the shipping box and the packing material. If the shipping is low, then the profit needs to be made up somewhere else.

Regarding Tannen's. You must be joking Spencer. They are the snottiest, rudest people I have ever dealt with. If you don't live in Noo Yawk, then you are a hick, and they don't give a spit.

I ordered a set of the Garcia cups from them a while back. It was supposed to come with a bag, a set of balls and a book. The bag and balls were not included, and neither was the book. I called to ask about this. Their reply, "Uh. The listing is wrong. There are no balls and bag."

"What about the book?"

"Oh, it's just the Tom Osborne book. Don't you already have that?"

"YES I ALREADY HAVE IT! I PAID FOR THE ^*&(*%)$# BOOK AND I WANT IT!"

Hank Lee is a different situation. When I was beginning to collect cups, I wanted a set of Gazzo cups. The only place that listed them on the internet was Hank Lee. School for Scoundrels was out of them. So I called up. I got an elf.

"Do you have the Gazzo Cups in stock?"

"Yes."

"Can you actually see them from where you are sitting?"

"Yes."

"Can you put your hands on them right now?"

"Yes."

"Okay. I want them," and I gave them my credit card info.

Two weeks later, no cups. So I called them. "Where are my cups."

"We had to back order them?"

"WHAAAAATTTT????"

"We've been out of them for months. Can't get them."

"You told me you could see them from where you were sitting. That you could put your hands on them."

"Uhhhhh"

"Let me speak to Hank."

So I spoke to Hank. I told him the whole story. He replied "BSBSBSBSBSBS" (I'm paraphrasing now.)

So I told him to forget about them, cancel the order and credit my card. It still took several weeks for the credit to come through.

Now, here's what I would advise you when you order from any dealer. ANY dealer. If they don't fill your order within a reasonable length of time, I think the federal guideline is 30 days, you can check on that, call them, cancel the order, and if they don't refund your money in 14 days, dispute the transaction.

If you pay via paypal, you have 45 days to dispute a transaction.

Do not let ANY dealer take your money without sending your merchandise.

How long ago did this happen? And thanks for calling my friends snobs and Noo Yawkers.

If the shoe fits.....
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
P&L2007
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of P&L2007
I've ordered several books from Hocus-Pocus and I've never had any problem. They have a great selection and they appear to have their books in house while so many of the other on-line stores don't. I keep a running list of the books I want on their wishlist (which is a great feature on their site and it's easy to use) and then I wait for the next 30% off sale. Smile
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
I like Elmwood magic http://www.elmwoodmagic.com and its co-site Hidden Book Shelf http://www.hiddenbookshelf.com/ one thing is they tell you if its out of stock on web site and two you can be notified by e-mail when it comes back in stock.Can't really say to much on delivery time only live about 60 miles down the road and usually receive package in 2 days.
Bartelli
View Profile
Veteran user
Belgium
362 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
If you want to buy magic books in Europe, I believe the best place to buy them is at Magic Books By Post.uk. I have ordered a lot of books in the last few months and the service has been great. I always got them in the mail a couple of days after I ordered. There was one minor mistake in a book I got from them (a wrong edition) and I could keep it free of charge and got my money back.
If there is a backorder, it's only a few days later when this arrives. Great service and I can only recommend them.

One minor thing though, it is sometimes a bit hard to find the book you want. If you do a search on Banachek, his books are listed in the category of children's magic. The list of categories and subcategies is huge and the search function is a bit limited.

If I want a book and it is available at magicbooksbypost.co.uk, I will purchase it there. The books are very reasonably priced and if I order from the UK, there are no extra costs for customs. And this can save us a lot of money in Europe. Especially in Belgium where customs are pretty expensive.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Personally I would go to H & R first. I have bought hundreds of used and new books from them. Richard is always great to deal with and completely honest.

http://magicbookshop.com

-=tab
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2947 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
I have had a great experience with Hocus Pocus ( especially during their sales events), H&R (great selection and service) and Penguin Magic (great for everyday low prices).
Northern California
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
I live in Asia and I'm very happy with http://www.themagicwarehouse.com, http://www.elmwoodmagic.com, and H&R Magic Books.

jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
(a)ndy
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
161 Posts

Profile of (a)ndy
It is really interesting seeing all of this negative press about Hank Lee. I was in Boston on business in the years just before internet selling took off. I had several hundred dollars with me and was looking to spend it all to build my library.

I told the staff that this would be the only time I ever visit the shop and I was looking to spend a significant amount of money.

They were so unhelpful and indifferent that I bought a single book and that was it. If I ever return to Boston I will not visit Hank Lee. He will not get a single penny from me - ever, and certainly not over the internet.

I mainly use Magic Books by Post:
http://www.magicbooksbypost.co.uk/index.php
They aren't always the cheapest but they have the best stock levels and don't try to sell you something they don't have in.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1892 Posts

Profile of slyhand
You should check with the Magic Vault. Mark gets it out fast. If he is out of stock on an item he emails me and lets me know. If I have questions regarding anything he may or may not carry, I always get quick and truthful reply's. I highly recommend http://www.magicvault.net/ .
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1363 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I dealt with Daytona for over 10 years, I would wait until the big 30% off and get my books then. But they always did something wrong on my big orders. Harry would usually fix it after a phone call. My last order was last year and I will never do mail order again from them. They made about 5 mistakes on my order, they send the wrong size case, I spent $15 to return it and they sent the wrong size case again. The second time I refused it as I could see from the box it was the wrong size. Then they overcharged me for a couple of items, and they did not send a $65 vest. I called Harry and he told me the lady would take care of me, and she did everything but accuse me of getting the vest and pretending I didn't, like stealing. I finally got it after many phone calls, and they NEVER answer my emails. I get a store credit for the overcharge so I have to order from them agian for something full price plus more postage. So I felt like it was a scam to get more money from me. I will never order from them again. It is not worth the hassle.
Now if you are paitient and don't need something in a hurry, I have great success with Hank Lee. I call if I need something right away and they have always been honest if they have it. I've returned defective merchanside and they sent a new one right away, even after I have it a long time. I love their point system, I just got a Wellington Switch board from them for $245! I called, he said they had it, and I had it in 2 days!! I will continue to order from them.
At first I did not like Hocus Pocus, as they sent me a terrible trick, but they refunded me minus shipping both ways. I tried them again, and I got hit with $50 shipping. But it was a big item. Now I wait for the 30% off sales, and that makes up for shipping. So I continue to order from them. I got an order today, the Doug Henning book and a couple of other things for 30% off!
Penguin will let you know on their site if it is not in stock.
They actually gave me aid after the Katrina crises. In cash and merchandise. My Prism book got wet and ruined. Penguin gave me a free store credit, and a got another copy for free!!! So I am loyal to them.And they always have 10% off.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1363 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Did anyone list here in the forum as a good place to buy books?
I've never bought any here, I've listed a few rare ones for sale at good prices, but no one was interested.

ACE
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-07-22 16:33, Acecardician wrote:...They actually gave me aid after the Katrina crises. In cash and merchandise.

That's a great story. I'll remember it next time I want to order something.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
woodmaven
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of woodmaven
When considering books I always go to Circle City Magic first. They usually have the lowest price and free shipping in the U.S. plus a Rewards Program. I've always been pleased with their selection, price, and the books have always arrived in pristine condition.

If they can't help me then I go to H&R, The Magic Warehouse, Joyalstack, or Hocus Pocus as my favorites.

-Britt
Friends are our chosen family.

- Britt -
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1363 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On 2009-07-22 17:03, tabman wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-22 16:33, Acecardician wrote:...They actually gave me aid after the Katrina crises. In cash and merchandise.

That's a great story. I'll remember it next time I want to order something.

-=tabman

Just to mention...SAM and RED CROSS said they would help but in the end did not come through. I understand SAM might have run out of funds, but the RED CROSS just said no! Be sure not to donate to them, as few people saw results from them. Penguin stepped in and made up for what the RC did not do. My hats off to Penguin. It was a tough time, but now I am back and doing more shows than ever! So I can partially thank them, because with the help, I stayed to help rebuild the city, and I am still here in New Orleans as one of the bussiest local performers.

ACE
kipling100
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of kipling100
Quote:
On 2009-07-19 06:53, (a)ndy wrote:
It is really interesting seeing all of this negative press about Hank Lee. I was in Boston on business in the years just before internet selling took off. I had several hundred dollars with me and was looking to spend it all to build my library.

I told the staff that this would be the only time I ever visit the shop and I was looking to spend a significant amount of money.

They were so unhelpful and indifferent that I bought a single book and that was it. If I ever return to Boston I will not visit Hank Lee. He will not get a single penny from me - ever, and certainly not over the internet.

LOL you got "Pretty Woman'd"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best place to buy books on the Internet (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL