The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Quality Game/The Freeze Game (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
I am looking to add a couple of games to my kids show and am considering The Quality Game and The Freeze Game from Bob Markwood's books. Does anyone use these games? Can you give me advice if they play well with the kids and/or the parents? My normal birthday audience is kids 5-9 years old. My concern is that since both of these games are slower than the rest of my show, they may be percieved as boring. On the other hand the Freeze Game provides a good photo op. and the Quality Game builds positive feelings and caring among the children.

For the Quality Game I am going to incorporate Miser's Dream with it so that each time a good qulity is named, I will produce a coin and add it to the bucket. At the end of the routine I will give the coins to the birthday child as a gift. Each coin will remind her/him of all the good things their friends had to say about them.

Again, any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Both could work well. I use the Freeze game to get kids to the cake area in an orderly manner.

The quality game was something I used for a time. But I did find it a bit of a slow point in my show. With young children I had to work hard to get them to say anything at all sometimes. So, I just dropped it. If you are interested in adding games, there a thread called "Games and Magic will Make You Rich" somewhere in this section of the Café'.
Another good resource is Mark Leveridge's "Magic Party" video.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
The "Freeze Game" seems to be a great piece of management to be used to get children from one place to another.

I've been wondering if anyone's had a problem with advertising GAMES for their program while only incorporating something such as the "Freeze Game" which seems to me to be a great tool but not necessarily a real game.

I suppose I could see how the children could see this as a game, and I could see how parents would appreciate the child management skills you have; but does anybody have any complaints that you didn't really provide any games?

Thanks!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have played the Quality Game in several hundred of my birthday shows, over the past decade. I don't use the silk being produced... I use a different reward.

Customers really seem to like the way I present it.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Years ago I saw Bob Markwood's kid show lecture and I wasnt't impressed at all. To me and many others he was just an average kid show performer...nothing more, nothing less.

This is my own opinion but I just never cared for his quality game. I'm sure it works, parents like it, and theoretically there's nothing wrong with the game itself. For me, however, I just found it too cutesy. I viewed it as a politically correct children's game meant to be used as a marketing tool in order to acquire a booking.

It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Gerry
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Just a different perspective about the game, I guess.

I think it is a great game, because it builds friendships between children, and fosters one person encouraging another. These are great behaviors to teach children, I feel.

I have known both the children and the parents to enjoy the game.

BTW, more than a marketing tool, some parents have a deep longing for their child to feel special, and have lasting friendships. This is why they have birthday parties in the first place, and invite the child's friends. You are just going with the deeper purpose behind a party.

Of course, it depends on whether you see it (and carry it out) as manipulation of others, or as something sincere and genuine. It's all about the perspective.

It's totally a win-win game, where there are no "losers."

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Quality Game/The Freeze Game (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL