The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The use of fire in a restaurant » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1629 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
**FS**

Fire wallet in great condition. Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-03-02 02:07, SoCalPro wrote:
**FS**

Fire wallet in great condition. Smile

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Funny...

Thanks for the feedback all.
I am off to my fire marshall today to get the "law" on flashes of fire and the use of flash paper indoors in Ontario.

I think that I will exclude (dammit) In a Flash and Phoenix Effect from any restaurant gig however the burning of a card (just the corner) may still be passable. I will burn a corner tonight at dinner when we are out and see if it causes a disturbance. (Test conditions...my wife may not like it but it is for the sake of an art.)

Pulling out a lighter and heating up a card case or smoking the back of a card may still be passable.

Performers insurance eh? Is this carried by any insurance carrier i.e. State Farm? or is this something unique. I will post a seperate topic on this.

Thanks again for the feedback, and for all those using the flash stuff, watch for the lady with the hairspray.

Will//
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
*** you guys!!!! Taking all the fun out of performing. I've been using a fire wallet in restaurants and bars for the past 15 years with no incidences. Now I'm wondering if I've been cautious or just lucky. I think I might go without it from now on.
Rich, I have a lot of respect for you from reading many of your posts, but "lame fire effects"? That's a bit harsh. I make a flower of small flash paper (from the pads) and change it into a real flower. I do this probably 10 times a night 3-4 nights a week for the past 10 years. It is a fantastic give-away and is the most requested effect I do. Women love it because they get a flower; men love it because I present it that it was his idea for me to do something special for her. Hardly, lame.
Respectfully
Patrick
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1629 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
*** you guys!!!! Taking all the fun out of performing. I've been using a fire wallet in restaurants and bars for the past 15 years with no incidences. Now I'm wondering if I've been cautious or just lucky. I think I might go without it from now on.

Wow, I was thinking the exact same thig. Smile
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Hey Patrick.Sorry if I got you 'fired up' with my 'lame' choice of words. Smile

Actually I had the 'fire wallet' particularly in mind.As you probably know,I am anti-fire in a restaurant environment.Over the years I have seen various performers use this prop...and it seems to be the same stuff:"I have money to burn".."Hot cash" yada yada.Never once have I seen it used creatively.[although some probably do]And I am not even going to go into the fume issue,and that the stinky fluid will also burn you.

Now tack onto that... over the years several guests have whipped their fire wallet out to show me how they can do 'magic' too.
I remember one instance where I had just completed a powerful set of magic,and the wife say's..Honey why don't you show Rich how you can do magic and set your wallet on fire...which the ham did.

Patrick,you know I have mutual respect for you,and that flower effect sounds effective.However,we must work in different types of environments..because if I wanted to do such an effect[and I do not],I can not logistically see how I would have the time or pocket space to carry real flower's,flash flowers etc.More power to you. Smile Although I do make pearl poodles that seem to make the ladies happy and gushy.Also,the occasional Napkin Rose.

On a typical night I am so on the move{perhaps this is because my system involves using table tents with an indicator}I really don't have time to mess with fire and think about being extremely cautious at the same time.

This I guess is what makes the world spin..Different strokes....

To me these types of effects would be more at home and effective at a private gig,and then only used quite sparingly,and of course carefully.

As was mentioned..hairspray,silly string,oxygen,etc...can turn a trick into a liability nightmare..with the flick of your Bic.

All the best.
Rich
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Table tents with indicator eh.....I love it.

Perhaps the indicator could be a big flash of fire....

I think that no matter ho far this post goes there will always be some that say yes and some that say no.

I guess what it all comes down to is local laws, safety of the patrons, safety for yourself and respect for others in the locale.

Thanks for the input. This was great to hear experiences and gather this input.

(off to rig my tent cards)

Will//
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I've performed in restaurants several nights a week for a couple of decades. While I would generally advise against fire effects in restaurants, I have been known to use a couple here and there. Specifically, I've done Bannon's "Shriek of the Mutilated" and Harkey's "Pop Art" (not really a fire effect, per se, but still "pyrotechnic".

I will say this, though. PLEASE use discretion! Big hair is coming back, and that means LOTS of hairspray, which is VERY flammable. A friend of mine set a lady's hair on fire with a small piece of flash paper held a good bit away from her. Also, certain clothes made with cheap fabric and cheaper labor are HIGHLY flammable.

One other thing to consider: When I first started I used flash paper and string more often. One day, an audience member commented to me after one such routine, "Well, big deal! You' could have done just about ANYTHING after you blinded us like that!" In his eyes, the fire made the effect LESS magical, not more so. Surely he is not the first or only person to think that--just the only one to mention it to me.

Something to consider...
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
You know who loves fire effects with flash paper? Children and Magicians. Because the world has changed, I would never, ever do a fire effect for a child and that's who are in restaurants.

I love Scott Guinn's comments above.

Christopher
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Through my experiences, I know other who love GOOD effects with flash paper....adults. Caution and common sense will dictate when and where ANY effect is used. I wouldn't offer someone to shuffle a deck of cards if they had no arms. Just as I wouldn't do a flash paper effect unless I KNOW it is safe. I do realize common sense is not too common, so for those....stay away from flash paper.
Patrick
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
To all those who use fire effects in close proximity of people: Go outside with a can of hairspray and a lighter. Push the button on the can and light up the mist. THE MIST WILL NOW BECOME BLOWTORCH!

Please tell me how close a person's hair needs to be before this becomes a potenial safety issue. I would not want to find out.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1804 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
When I was doing restaurant work, I did Torched and Restored which involved singeing the edges of the card to be restored. I don't see doing that as a problem, if local laws allow. Flash paper or string gets a bit riskier.

With all the talk about lighters and hairspray, it's a wonder we didn't have bars burning down by the hour and lawyers staking out the joints when smoking was allowed in restaurants. Particularly in the 80's, I can't see how we made it out of that decade alive... ;-)
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21008 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is not a point of how many times it happens. IF IT HAPPENS ONE IN A MILLION do YOU want to be the guy it happens too?

I love the sarcastic comments like that, but really the sprinklers, the hairspray, when that DOES happen, not often but it does, do YOU want to be the guy? You really hurt people man. THEY ARE HURT BADLY. So make all the sarcastic observations you want too, when you take a chance of hurting people seriously, or damaging thousands of dollars worth of someone elses things, you are simply not thinking clearly. It is selfish.

And it is not too tough to find cases of hairspray and people lighting a cigarette and ending up a match. Oh wait try Michael Jackson. Had a bit of a problem didn't he with it?

See if you hurt yourself that is one thing. Burried alive, great nature weeding out the stupid. Take risks with YOUR OWN saftey. The spectator gets NO SAY in what happens, or how. It is your job to make sure they stay safe. It is sad that it has to be mentioned so freequently, but it really does. Now throw in a kids inexperience, and BAM you have a real problem. Magic suffers worse than the jerks who jam spectators hands down on spikes as a mentalism bit.

I can't wait for the "Spectator catches the bullet" trick.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
Hi Patrick......interesting post about the small piece of flashpaper and the flower....I do something similar in a restaurant and yes.... people just love it...... and..... I don't even do one card trick..... and they love that too! I remember when my mother was alive I was with her at a crowded church service....each person held a lit candle and my mother's unfortunately inched toward the woman's sprayed hair in the pew ahead of her....... well, it's funny now. Anyway, I guess the anti-fire guys are right but still I figure there's a more likely chance I will drop dead at a restaurant table and fall head first into the salad.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Thousand Island or Ranch dressing on that salad?
I'm going to start a movement to outlaw hair spray...that will solve our problem.
Who is going to join me??
Patrick
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Are you aware that certain salad dressings are quite flammable. Smile

Rich
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21008 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well like I said being selfish to risk others saftey, well really speaks for itself.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Justin Impossible
View Profile
Veteran user
Distant Land Of Shmooo
328 Posts

Profile of Justin Impossible
I love fire in the restaurant! Catches the attention. Everyone loves fire!
Peace
J
Justin Impossible
www.justinimpossible.com
www.facebook.com/magicianjustinimpossible

A pretty assistant is the most effective form of misdirection.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Darrow's Second Law: Common Sense Ain't - If It Was, We'd See More Of It.

Proof: Great White in Rhode Island.

This is what has brought down the Fire Marshals on all of us - and with good reason. READ the incidents in the posts above, people, and consider just how lawsuit-happy people are today.

Like your car? Your house? Your income for the rest of your life? Well, just ONE of those incidents could jeopardize ALL of those things and, should you be in violation of the fire codes for your locale, your liability insurance (yu DO have liability insurance as a performer, right? RIGHT?!) will NOT cover you at ALL!

Period.

At which point, evrything you own and every will own, becomes fair game for the legal eagles out there and for any opportunistic individual who decides to cash in on the magician who is using fire in violation of some little-known statute.

So the question is - do you really WANT to risk EVERYTHING you own on a single flash paper trick, simply becaue it "looks cool," or because it "gets their attention?"

Or do you want your insurance to stay in force while you perform, stay protected and not run the very real risk of losing everything you own to an opportunistic lawsuit?

Because THAT is what you are facing.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21008 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Or worse yet if you ask me, do you want to be the one in a million who DOES hurt someone? Even if they DON'T sue, not a nice way to feel forever just because it "looks cool".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The use of fire in a restaurant » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL