The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Mini Kub Zag by Smoky Mountain Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I just received the 1st Mini Kub Zag (MKZ) built by Smoky Mountain Magic, as licensed by Chalet Magic, and it is INCREDIBLE!

1st a bit of background:

As many of you may be aware, Chalet has recently (in the last few years) had a few production issues as George Kimery reduced his production staff to just himself. Because of many mitigating factors, Chalet had found itself severely back-ordered, and as such, many people (myself included) found it impossible to get a new Chalet MKZ.
It was because of this that 2 of Chalet's sub-contractors, Dan Wolfe (graphic artist) and Jim Holbert (cabinet maker) approached George with an offer to take over the MKZ line, offering both Chalet and the magic community a win-win proposition, and securing the future production of high quality product with the MKZ.

While my order had originally been placed with Chalet some time ago, Dan made me aware of the new production agreement, and immediately began working with me to fulfill my outstanding order. I instantly asked him if it was possible to alter the look of my MKZ - the one I had purchased was a graphically finished model which
featured a, how shall we say, "less than attractive" color scheme. Dan immediately began collaborating with me on my ideas of what I thought the look should be, and the result can be seen on his website listed as the Starr Girl design. This design took several forms during our creative process, and Dan was exceedingly patient
with my non-artist's babbling on what I wanted.

Also, something else happened along the way:

* Regular email updates - often with progress photos, detailing the construction process
    * Access to Dan's phone for questions - (and he answered the phone too! LOL)
    * Firm dates for delivery - that were met!

In short, all of sudden something odd happened - there was actual customer service! No more wondering what was happening with my order, no more empty promises on a delivery date. Just results.

And all of this time, Dan is working on other customer orders as well, making other custom items for people.

And as for the end product - outstanding! This illusion is ready to amaze audiences.

I confess, during the time that I was "waiting" for my MKZ to be finished and delivered by Chalet, I gave in and bought one of those inexpensive, knock off Cube Zags. It was horrible - completely impractical for a regular sized girl to perform. It was made of thin, ¼" wood, with wooden supports, and a paper thin base.
Simply unusable, unless your assistant is a small 90lb (or less) girl.

But the Smoky Mountain Magic MKZ - WoW! Built to last! This unit is made to Chalet's specifications, using the same steel supports that have been the foundation of the licensed MKZ all along. All of the refinements from years of manufacture are there - steel welds, great new looking legs, fine grade woods, painted and/or laminated with the Tuff Kote materials that look great and resist scratches. I have had the pleasure of owning props made from the high end producers such as John Gaughan, and this thing can sit next to theirs any day!

It's built that well.

However, the most important development (aside from having the MKZ truly available again) is the design work available by co-owner, Dan Wolfe. Take a look at the website, and you will see how the MKZ has transformed itself from the solid colored prop of the 80's into the designer looks now available. Dan is ready and willing to
take any design idea you have and turn it into a functional piece of art! Choose from his "stock" designs, or have him do something all original - the look is up to you!

I cannot recommend Dan Wolfe and the team at Smoky Mountain Magic enough. I really think that they are poised to become the new Chalet magic of the future, offering high quality magical props at affordable prices.

You owe it to yourself to take a look! http://www.smokymtmagic.com/

Chris
michaelstellman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
76 Posts

Profile of michaelstellman
WOW, I'm soo glad that these are in production. .I got one of the last Chalet MKZ's and it was a bit of a challenge in the customer service dept. . .

I was scared to death that if I ever needed a backup, I wouldn't be able to purchase one. .

I may even see If they would refurbish mine with some of their killer artwork!!
estone
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of estone
Dan's work is great, and service is #1.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Got to see one in person last year at The Twin City Convention. Pictures do not do it justice.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
michaelstellman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
76 Posts

I sent him an email. . still waiting for a response. . I figured It's a weekend so I'll give it a couple days before writing back. . . His Scenery system is pretty cool too.
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Dan built our Kub Zag...and several other custom props for my show...I can not recommend him highly enough...Dan is THE MAN!

Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
michaelstellman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
76 Posts

I'm wondering if it's worth selling my Chalet Kub Zag, and Starting fresh with Dan (just something I may think about. . not sure) . . .I am Highly excited about his work though. . and he responded to my email very quickly. . .
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I noticed that there aren't any visible holes for the cubes. Is this removed during the show or does it flip in?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
Lou,

There is an opening for the tubes, but it's form is governed by the design requirements.

Often the performer's chosen artwork or theme doesn't lend itself well to the front tube hole. So we create an octagonal cover plate which goes over the opening and is held in place magnetically. The cover is removed just before the tube is inserted. The artwork continues seamlessly onto the cover so that at stage distance, it almost disappears.

In other cases, we've used the cover as a design element...on our "Stop" design for instance. The "Oreo" and "Oriental" designs used custom shaped covers to enhance the theme.

If a visible opening is not a problem (like the "Standard" design), a black canvas flap is attached to the inside, flipping upward when the tube is inserted. The canvas is weighted and the edges stiffened so the fabric can't come out through the hole, but is still flexible where it needs to be.

Sometimes it's possible to incorporate the tube opening itself into the design. For instance, the "Radio" design we did used the opening as the speaker grille of the radio and the woven design was painted onto the curtain. There, the hole made sense.

So, the opening is always there...just occasionally camouflaged.

Dan/EARL
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
stephane_arnow
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of stephane_arnow
Smoky mountain is licenced by CHALET who is licenced by PUSHINGER ? Is it like that ? Smile I don't find it is justice that MINI CUBE ZAG is no longer bought from Germany (cause it is licenced in USA, to be easier for the Americans) and that others props from USA can't be licenced in Europe. It is a non sense. The builders will play the game if those licences were accepted.Good news for Smoky mountain magic, and cool that they have the licence (chalet take 10 years to build one unit !).

But don't forget that you can buy one in Germany directly. You will not do it, cause it is more easier and cheaper to buy it now to Chalet (...) or smoky Mountain ( Smile )

For example Startrixx in Germany do wonderful building (really = top builder in the world) without any rights paid (I think). If the licences was given, they will have opportunities to sell better props( more close than the original). and they will certainly sell more props, own more money ,and the creator will be paid. Why ?? It is a form of conservatism ?
I think things need to change. Few americans bought illusions original in europe or Asia, but rest of the world have no choice to buy in USA...Or they buy ripp off... If the building is perfect, and if the rights are paid to the americans, are the rest of the world always forced to buy in USA ?

I have spoken about that in the past, and I open a debat. I do any critic in this post, against anybody. Just a reflexion
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
My only issue, well one of my issues while I do feel sorry for the trouble that George has brought on himself...I do wish Dan had of gotten back to me when I was having issue getting my MKZ fixed by George ... we did speak and I know he was about to go out of the country...but also promised to call me back when returned and could speak with George about my situation on my Cub Zag. Sure would have been nice?

Robert
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
Robert,

I did contact George Kimery about getting your broken Kub Zag panel. He said he'd call you while I was gone and since he already had the panel, would fix it himself. I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that the situation had been taken care of.

You are correct that I did not follow up with you to check up on George. Hearing nothing further, I believed he had followed through on his promise. My apologies.

I must confess to being a little disappointed that the next time I hear about this is six months later in a public forum...and that you seem to hold me responsible for it not being fixed.

If the panel is still broken, send it to me and I'll do my best to fix it for you.

Let me know how I can help.

Dan Wolfe
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
No Dan, I don't hold you responsible for the issue...And yes, George did finally get the pieces fixed about 10 months later…and yes, I still had to fix a couple of things myself...I just really would have like to have been contacted back. I had high hopes…Per our conversation you knew that George wasn't following through with anything he had or has promised...that's my only complaint. But no, I don't blame you for George's inadequacies! That's not your fault in any way shape or form… that's solely his doing! His bed, he has to sleep with that himself! I still would love to work with you on some thoughts and ideas if you’re interested.
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
Jonace
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Jonace
Can somone post a picture Of how this looks when transported? How big is it?
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
Is Smokey Mountain building other props Chalet used to build? I have had many Chalet Illusions over the years. The quality was always very good, they were very deceptive and reasonable.
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Mini Kub Zag by Smoky Mountain Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL