The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Cut and Restore Head / Guillotine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
This is a routine I am thinking about,

I am planning to buy a French Guillotine then do some construction so that the wood looks thicker and heavier. I am going to put it on a platform with steps leading up to it so it has a Gallows look to it.

A fog machine and red lights will be added for effect.

Using an assistant or stooge I have the person go to the guillotine, and kneel down behind it. They are given a hood to put on, bend down and their "head" is inserted into the guillotine--actually a dummy head.

The Guillotine platform is now turned sideways so the audience can see the person "in the stocks", the blade drops and the head falls into the basket. The body goes limp.

The Guillotine is turned back to the front position and the magician picks up the basket and shows the hooded head. The head does a levitation (aka zombie), the magician takes the head back to the limp body and "attaches it" and the victim stands up, removes the hood and we take a bow.

I'd like to have the magician have a hood too, and maybe have the ending be the magician turns out to be the victom with a switch, but haven't quite figured out a method for that yet.

So, would this be too gruesome for most audiences or does it seem like it would be accepted? I do not plan to have gushing blood or other gore like a visible sawing in half type routine.

This may have already been done by someone, seems like a pretty obvious use of the guillotine, but I am not familiar with it being used quite this way. If some one has seen a version like this let me know, I'd like some opinons on it.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I'm not sure if a basic french guillotine will allow you to have a false head visibly drop into the basket and show the rest of the body (without the head) go limp. It would look really cool if you could do it, but I think a lot of additional work would be needed to make it possible.

It also seems that you may be attempting to combine too many different effects into one routine. You've described a penetration, a levitation, a restoration and a possible transposition. Is every effect necessary? Is every effect properly motivated so as to make sense to the spectator? Does each additional effect add to the strength of the routine from the spectator's perspective? More isn't always better. Sometimes, more is just .... more.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
John Bundy
View Profile
Regular user
USA
193 Posts

Profile of John Bundy
Take a look. I produced this for 13 years at a Six Flags park.
http://halloweenmagicshows.com/jbphalloweenshows_008.htm

John Bundy
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Whoa! That was am incredible combination of two illusions.

Seems like I remember James Randi presenting a similar guillotine illusion with Alice Cooper back in the 70s.
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
In the 1800s Professor Vanek did this illusion first. He even put the head on a tray and went down to the audience where he let the people feel the skin of the head. He decapitated his son every day on his show. In his time he was the most famous magician all around the world.

It was nice to see your presentation John congratulation.
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
Hey...

Kevin James now sells a decapitated head illusion, developed by Adrian Solare. I saw it in person and it looks pretty good.

Just a thought...
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Small correction. Professor Vanek did the decapitation illusion first but he did with sword. People invented the Guillotine decapitation much later.
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Thanks for the video link John, that was very nice.

I figured it had to have been done and it looks like your version was awesome for the audience.

My planned routine is different in several aspects, but the one you showed lets me know what I was asking. Thanks for sharing.

I have a particular question to ask you that I will send a PM about.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
styck13
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of styck13
Quote:
Seems like I remember James Randi presenting a similar guillotine illusion with Alice Cooper back in the 70s.

Yes Alice Cooper did something like that. I can't remeber what tour it was but he was singing "I love the dead". it's a super cool effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Cut and Restore Head / Guillotine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL