The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Use of Bang Gun and Sausage Gun (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2731 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I recently bought a Bang Gun and Sausage Gun from McIntyre in Australia (or New Zealand). They were real nice ones and about $90.00 a piece. I want to put them in one of my kid show routines, but am having second thoughts though.

Just curious— does anyone use these in his show? Any complaints from parents? I'm not the "politically correct" type at all, so it doesn't bother me. But I don't want people who hire/pay me upset. I want to get hired back.

So, any thought from performers who use (or don't anymore) these will be appreciated.

Ron Reid
victorkent
View Profile
New user
Narnia
76 Posts

Profile of victorkent
Use the Bang gun all the time. Never had a complaint. Had many compliments.
-vk
John 3:16
http://www.victorkent.com
http://www.kentfamilyillusionshow.com
[email]victor@victorkent.com[/email]
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Most Bang guns are so obviously NOT real that there should be no fear of anyone being upset.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
One can't help but to ponder this question, especially after a kindergarten boy was suspended, waiting expulsion for pointing his finger at another and saying "Bang"...(Well maybe a little more than that...)
Dennis Michael
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Hmmm, Den may have a point. I was thinking of the situation in our laid-back area. But in the Excited States, things may be a lot different.

Ron, you might want to "test the waters" before using either one. (Although in most places, I think I can stand by my original post.)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Yup, sad to say but here in the States anything even remotely resembling a gun is strictly forbotten in most schools these days.

You may even be frowned upon by parents if you use a gun, no matter how silly it may look, in a private setting. So much for living in the land of the free.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Quote:
On 2003-01-14 11:34, Payne wrote:
So much for living in the land of the free.

Yep, we all laughed at the moron who spilled the (surprisingly!) hot coffee in her lap, then sued McDonald's...now look where we are. It's never anyone's fault, parents have no responsibility in raising their kids, and on and on and on and on. Smile Smile Smile
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2731 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks guys for the responses. More responses are sure welcome. I bought both of these on an impulse, because they are both such cool, well-made pieces of apparatus. I really hate to stick them in my closet, but I'm beginning to think that's what I'll have to do.

Still thinking about it, though. I work for a couple of agencies here in town, and would hate to get a complaint from a client.

Ron Reid
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
What is a Sausage gun?
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I've got one, when you pull the trigger a string of spring sausages shoots out the end. I don't use it much as I haven't found the proper slot for it in my show. I found a couple of things that you do have to be careful of. In a house in a small room it's a danger to all the oranments that the mum hasn't had the sense to remove from the room before the party, plus when it goes off the kids, "boys" had a tendancy to try to leap forward and grab the sausages. You then risk a potenial tug of war and ruined gun. So if you do use it, watch which direction you fire it.

Quote:
Yep, we all laughed at the moron who spilled the (surprisingly!) hot coffee in her lap, then sued McDonald's...now look where we are. It's never anyone's fault, parents have no responsibility in raising their kids, and on and on and on and on
This highlights the need to ensure you have plenty of public liability insurance cover if you're out performing in the real world. If 2-year old Jimmy who's been let loose to run around the room during the show trips over your stuff, it's you that gets the blame, not the mother who wasn't looking after her own kid.

In the paper this weeekend there was a story of a woman who sued a shop because she tripped over a toddler that was running around unattended. She got thousands in compensation, but it was her own child she tripped over. You couldn't make it up!
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Harry the Clown
Hi Ron
I have these two guns as I live in New Zealand. They do look great and they don't look like a dangerous weapon!

If your show is a comedy act this will help as your audience will be expecting silly things like the guns to do funny things.
Harry the Clown Smile
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I think this subject will always have regional differences. Here in old GB we've had gun atrocities like Hungerford etc.— we've also had sword attacks in churches etc.— but nothing on the scale of the States. I don't currently, but still would use a 'Bang' gun (trust we are talking about a dropping flag that says "bang" here and not a starting pistol!!). Also the falling to bits gun.

Re: Sausage Gun. I have a large rifle— but the problem is the kids rip sausages or spring snakes etc. to bits. Also if the end of one of those springs breaks through the fabric and hits someone in the eye!! I also sometimes get asked to make balloon swords (yes) and machine guns (no).
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I think they are wonderful props and very funny for kids, but in today's climate of zero tolerance at school where kids are literally suspended for chewing a bologna sandwich in the shape of a gun (true story), I would think twice about using it in a performance.

I remember years back Dick Oslund had a funny bit for school shows, he would walk on stage and loudly anounce for everyone to cover their ears, then immediately take out a blank gun and fire it into the rafters. Today you'd probably be carried out in chains and have a dozen suits from parents who had their kids in therapy for a stunt like that. Not to mention all the free publicity on the evening news!

That being said, if we ever meet at a convention you have my permission in adavance to sausage me! Smile Smile Smile
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Does anyone know where I can get just the spring sausages? No gun.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I wouldn't use it in schools due to the PC crowd in the "Excited States", as Peter calls us, but I think I'd use them just about everywhere else.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
<<and machine guns (no).>>

How about space guns?

Matt
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Sorry Matt,

In an American school any gun is verbotten. What is the political correct climate like in England?
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Even here (in Peter's neck of the woods) I took the Bang Gun out of my children's show a number of years ago. It was strictly a personal decision. I never had any complaints, but I started to feel uncomfortable having it in the act.

By the by, like the new picture George.

Rob
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
That's kind of funny. I was performing an anti-bullying show today at an elementary school, and when I walked in that's the first thing they said. "We cannot have you talking about or showing guns no matter if they are fake plastic guns or drawn on paper. No guns."

Good thing I don't ever do that! In my opinion there are so many great props out there. Do you really need to use a gun? If you're already feeling kinda iffy about it, won't you feel real nervous when performing it?
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Firstly, Emazdad and Cheshire Cat, I know what you mean with regard to the sausages getting away from you.

However, with the sausage gun in question, there is a string which attachés the sausages to the gun, so when you fire the gun the sausages they fly out but then jump back to you. You still have to watch out for ornaments, though.

Andy, have a look at this link for the spring sausages -

http://www.paul-howard-pro-magic.co.uk/

I own the sausage gun. I would bring it out after a couple of failed attempts with silly wands so the kids are expecting something ridiculous. I would say, 'I've got something in here that's like a water pistol.' The kids would start to say, 'Oh no etc.'

Then I'd say, 'It's kind of a cross between a water pistol and a hair dryer (they laugh at this, I don't know why) and it blows magic dust'. After saying the above I would slowly bring it out and the kids would always laugh (again, I know not why)and the routine would go on from there.

I never used the term 'pull the trigger' I just said pull this little button. (A small point but one that hopefully distances it that little bit further from an actual gun.)

That explanation always seemed to work, and I never had anyone say anything negative about it.

I used to also use a string of sausages and a sausage wand in the routine.

Hope all of that is helpful.

Cheers.

Billy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Use of Bang Gun and Sausage Gun (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.47 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL