The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Starting Equipment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gardini
View Profile
Regular user
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of gardini
Hello everyone,

I'm a Starting Magician, For Referance, I have the Tarbell course, Royal Road to Card Magic book and DVD. I have been working through them for awhile now.

What would be considered the absoulte basics to have for equipment and props, besides your Thumb Tip, Wand and a Deck of Bicycles.

Thanks for any advice,

Gardini
Malus
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Malus
Few coins maybe if you are interested in coin magic?
When I started magic, all I had was a pack of cards and couple coins which served me for quite a while.
Malus.
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
I know several Magicians that do a whole show with a deck of Bikes and some coins.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There's a topic and opinions here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&113
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Your basic props all depend on what kind of magic you wish to perform.

I'd suggest reading through Tarbell some to just get a feel for what you want to do. You don't have to commit to a particular style like choosing a degree in college, but it is probably a good idea, at least at first, to narrow your choices down.

Do you like mentalist acts.

Do you like rope magic.

Do you like close-up.

Do you like parlor magic.

Do you like coin, thimble, ball, card manipulation.

so I'd break out the Tarbell course you said you have, read through it and get an idea. Then you can focus a little.

NOW, if you want to actually DO the Tarbell Course...

Start out by getting the following and you will be able to begin doing the things in Tarbell in order.

TT, Palming Coins, Sponge Balls, String and a deck of cards, then you are well on your way to doing everything in the first book.

But as for a set of basics, it really does depend on what you are going to do. As a close up performer I'd say some sponge balls, coins and cards are a very good start.

Other than that, if I had to say some prop for you to buy at a store, it would be:

Cups n Balls (and/or a Chop Cup), along with some sponge balls.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
gardini
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of gardini
Thanks for the help, I have been working with coins to a bit, I didn't mention them because I've been having major problems with the classic palm.

Thanks for the link, Jazz

Gardini
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
I wouldn't necessarily run out and buy a bunch of props; you'll naturally accumulate them over time. Focus on what area(s) of magic you enjoy most and then attempt to become an expert at it. Resist the urge to buy every effect out there and only purchase those, which fit your style. Ask yourself, do you have a good reason/story-line for performing this effect, or are you doing it merely because it looks neat. Sure there are plenty of effects that I would love to perform, but they just don't mesh with my personality, and people can see right through that. Spectators honestly want to get involved in the magic, not just witness it because you have the ability to do so. Choose wisely and make it your own. Justify the reason for the magic & make it interesting, there's no better magic than that.
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Gardini,

Rome was not build in one day - same gose for your magic act. Start to build up a small routine and get the props and practice sleights for that. From there you are free to further develop your act, bringing in new props and techniques.

Andy
Cards never lie
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Coin ],sponge balls,nail writer ect.Rather buy utility items than tricks,you'll thank me later.For example,the thumb tip was a good investment.Sick with things that you can do multiple effects with.
AJ
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I agree with Andre, considering only magical items and not reference material.

I would always say books and DVD's are the better investment. Many props can be homemade, but the knowledge of what to do with them is what will make the difference.

My props:
Cups 3 or chopped
Wand (Considering retiring it)
Ninja rings
Rope
Scissors
Dollar coins
cards
TT (Rarely use it)
Sponge balls
Rubber bands

Massively reduced from what I used to have. But these are the Items I can't seem to part with.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I agree about the coins. You can do coin magic without the classic palm. Most of the stuff I've seen and done has been with the finger palm.

As for books, I am going to recommend Bobo's Modern Coin Magic for the coins (what else? Smile ) and Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic, a Complete Course. Both are great references for beginners. Also, Wilson's book is more up to date in terms of being able to find some of the props needed, as Tarbell's may require you, in some cases, to use props that are either no longer or not as readily available.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
gardini
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of gardini
The main reason I was asking about starting equipment, was I didn't want to end up with a box full of neat looking junk that I wouldn't use.

Thanks for the advice

Gardini
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Clynim, The Mark Wilson book to recommend should be The Complete Course in Magic. Cyclopedia is a shortened version.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I am aware of that, Josh. The reasons I recommended the other book was because it's

1) less expensive, even if by just a few dollars
2) is easier to carry around
3) most of the original course is still there. Much of what's missing deals with stage props and make-at-home stuff. Almost everything else seems to be there.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
As a dealer for 33 years I would heartily suggest buying props, gimmicks, etc. AS you need them. It's a process of discovery and all the more fun because of that. Good luck,
Brad Burt
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I agree. Part of the fun of this business is buying new stuff to try out. Sure, some of it never gets used (except for the first time), but it just adds to your experience and knowledge. And then every once in a while you find that little gem that blows everyone away and it becomes your favorite effect.

Jim
MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
I agree with HABU. Stuff you carry depends the area of magic you're interest in.

I always seem to carry scissors though - rarely use them, but when you need them nothing else will do. Smile
damkat69
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of damkat69
I know it has been said obove, but for me I bought dvd's when I first started. I liked the fact that not only did you get to learn about the effect, but you could see it in action. I found the tricks I liked on them, then learned them. I found by learning the tricks I liked on the dvd that the rest came to me very easy as I already had the fountimentals learned. I have the luck of having a great magic shop down the street and I have learned that the learning a routine is much more important than having a bunch of props, so I would concentrate on that and get the props you need based on the rroutine you want to do.
jolly12
View Profile
New user
PEI, Canada
48 Posts

Profile of jolly12
Agree totally damkat...just to add to that, another great part of having the DVD is you can re-watch an explanation over and over and over until you are happy with your presentation. If you lose touch on a trick, look back to the DVD and your back in business.
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
Hmm, while I see damkat's and jolly's points, I'm going to have to somewhat disagree.

It seems to be a recurring pattern in magic, that those new to the field jump into DVD's. While some DVD's are quite good and full of value, it seems to be the trend to recycle old effects that are easily found in the most basic of books, and put them in DVD format and jack up the price (Criss Angel's new DVD set comes to mind). If you go the DVD route, just be super careful. Talk to someone knowledgeable if at all possible, before making these purchases to make sure you're not getting shafted.

-Dustin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Starting Equipment (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL