The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hopping Halves - Need Help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
I purchased a Johnson Hopping Half set about ten years ago and threw it in a drawer. I recently became interested in the set again but I've lost the instructions. Could anyone please point me in the direction of getting a copy? Thanks in advance!!
William Holcomb
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
You might want to look at some of the patter here: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~roy/magictalk-wi......alf.html

As for instructions, I think if you hold the coins as you read that patter, you can figure it out.

Here is a quick mechanics rundown:

Take SS put in pocket
Show both coins
Take CS put in pocket
Show both coins again
Take Silver Coin put in pocket
Un-nest gimmick to show both coins
Nest gimmick in fist and take Copper coin gimmick put in pocket.

Show hand empty.
Click to visit:
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Thanks Dan! Appreciate the help!
William Holcomb
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
821 Posts

Profile of Maestro
I just purchased the hopping halves last weekend from a magic shop, and the owner of the store taught me a really good routine to go with it.

If you are interested, just pm me and I will send you the details.
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Maestro,
I sent you a Pm about your Dealer taught routine. I love this set and think it's one of the best coin effects around.
"A flash of silvery light ..and it was gone."
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Hello all
penguinmagic.com has a clip of this trick so you can see how the routine goes.

Bye for now
Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
EvanAndrews
View Profile
Regular user
California
128 Posts

Profile of EvanAndrews
Brad is right you can get the routine off of the penguin magic demo. I bleiev they do that standard one. Even better make up your own routine, it would make it that much better!
????.....Yeah
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5183 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
there is a pretty good routine printed up on the coin purse website "Coins in Love" by Lee Sailor it is under articles pg44 or do a search on the site for hopping halves and it will take you there.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Dave Shepherd
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
116 Posts

Profile of Dave Shepherd
Jamy Ian Swiss has an interesting ungaffed version in his notes called "Another Interesting Application of that Principle."

Contact Jamy directly, or Denny & Lee.
jgeist1
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
98 Posts

Profile of jgeist1
I love HH! I thought I would share my presentation of the effect. I mostly do card tricks, HH is a nice card trick interlude. After a card effect, I take out the coins as I say "I am trying to learn coin magic and I'd like to show you a neat trick." I show the two coins and explain what I'm doing as I go along. I say "First, uh, I take the half dollar and place it in my pocket... pause.... I think. No wait, oh I'm sorry. I was supposed to take the other one. Can I start over" I basically act confused about the proper workings of the trick, and keep starting over to take the opposite coin. At the end, I just end with frustration saying, "Oh I can't remember this silly trick." while gesturing with my now empty hands. I then go back into some card effects. I hope you were able to get the idea of my presentation that I will sometimes use.

-Jason
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Why not add a chinese coin?
So you can avoid talking of shells, as there are obviously 2 coins in hand: chinese + ?.
And you can go straight into a nice CSB routine.
Just my 2 Euro-Cents....
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
jgeist1
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
98 Posts

Profile of jgeist1
Could you elaborate on what you are suggesting? How would the chinese coin fit into the effect?

-Jason
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
@Jason,

not just the same ole story "look I take the silver coin and ooops it jumped back and then the copper coin and ooops it jumped back and so on."
"No, 3 coins, you know them, but the chinese one is a magical coin, look!"
And having until the end of the trick the chinese coin in the hand too, it's not critical, concerning the sound of talking shells and inlays; and I'm left with my magical chinese coin (it's a kind of misdirection of course). But with the last coin (the chinese one) I can logically switch over to CSB or Lethal Tender or anything else.
People concentrate very much on that chinese coin.
I mean, if you have (for the spec) only the copper coin in the hand and you must seperate them to show copper and silver this could make a sound (I say it "could"). The additional coin prevents this.

Any kind of mystic is useful.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hopping Halves - Need Help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL