The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Hank Lee's Cape Cod Magic Conclave (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ThorstenHappel
View Profile
Loyal user
Düsseldorf / New York, NY
203 Posts

Profile of ThorstenHappel
I will be there, too. It will also my first time attending the Conclave. Looking forward to meeting some old friends and make new ones.
Thorsten
-----------------------------------------

"If this be magic, let it be an art ..."
-- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3
JeremiahZuo
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of JeremiahZuo
Thorsten!

Thank you again(all this time later) for the work you put into the Flicking Fingers Festival!!

Hope to see you this weekend at the Conclave.
Joshua 24:15
ThorstenHappel
View Profile
Loyal user
Düsseldorf / New York, NY
203 Posts

Profile of ThorstenHappel
Quote:
On 2007-04-18 19:29, JeremiahZuo wrote:
Thorsten!

Thank you again(all this time later) for the work you put into the Flicking Fingers Festival!!

Hope to see you this weekend at the Conclave.

Thanks so much, Jeremiah, for your kind words. All the thanks should go to the Flicking Fingers that decided to take time off their busy schedules and do the workshop. It sure was a wonderful two days in New York. Thanks also to everyone who attended.

Looking forward to seeing you at Hank Lee's Cape Cod Conclave.
Thorsten
-----------------------------------------

"If this be magic, let it be an art ..."
-- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
I'M HERE!!!! I'll be staying at the Hotel, say hi if you see me. -J.R.
brokin6
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
276 Posts

Profile of brokin6
I must admit that I was pretty disappointed this year. With all due respect to the performers who tried their best, saturday was a total nightmare. The acts were beyond bad and to top it off with a high school a capella (sp?) group!!! What kind of magic is that? It sure made the spectators disappear! Anyway, Friday was absolutely great and the lecturers were fabulous as well but saturday failed to produce. I hope that it is taken with a grain of salt and also a bit of tongue in cheek but I was not happy. Helder Guimarães was truely my favorite and I hope to see more from him in the future. Well, here's to hoping next year will be better. Cheers!
Why does coin magic make my head hurt!?!
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
I agree, the show on Sat night was a bit rough. I must say that I do feel bad for the performers that have to work with borrowed doves, but I think the problem of not travelling with birds isn't going away anytime soon, so it may be time to adapt. As far as the pitchpipes, I wonder which one of them was related to Hank to get booked. They sucked, and the 4 minutes of the show I caught before walking out was highly innapropriate (and I myself am usually highly innapropriate). Overall I did have a blast. Met some great people and spent lots of money (ok, that part isn't so great). I'm already signed up for next year and can't wait to see Cyril!
EricClark
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
68 Posts

Profile of EricClark
I wasn't a big fan of the guy who did a bullwhip and lasso exhibition. He was great for what he did, I just kind of wanted to see magic tricks (being at a magic convention and all).
MikeHall
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of MikeHall
I have to agree with brokin6, the shows in general where not up the level that they normally are. The pitchpipes where unacceptable to have booked for a magic convention.
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
817 Posts

Profile of magico
"As far as the pitchpipes, I wonder which one of them was related to Hank to get booked."

One of them was his son. He is the one who brought up his grandmother for the group to sing Happy Birthday.

I agree the Saturday Show was the worst of the two shows.
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
Quote:
On 2007-04-23 20:46, magico wrote:
"As far as the pitchpipes, I wonder which one of them was related to Hank to get booked."

One of them was his son. He is the one who brought up his grandmother for the group to sing Happy Birthday.

I agree the Saturday Show was the worst of the two shows.
I missed the birthday song, I walked out when they were singing "D**K in a Box" to a woman who looked to be about my mom's age. (if you don't know what I'm talking about, search YouTube and watch the original video, it was pretty funny, just not something I would want some high school kids to sing to my mom).
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I've been to about 12 CCC's and always enjoy myself. I am getting a little tired of the hotel, the money is waaay out of line. However, the thing about the shows is that it's usually the case: One night better than the other...

But I will still keep going.
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
This was the first time in about 6 years I haven't been able to make it. I'm surprised that Saturday's show sucked. Usually it's the other way around. How was Dimmare?

I guess I'm not all that upset that I didn't miss it this year! See you all next April.
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
Yeah, the hotel is very pricey, think I'll skip the meal deal next year. Dimmare had some problems with the borrowed doves he was using, they didn't want to cooperate, otherwise he did well.
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
I have never and will never do the meal thing. There are places around town to get food, or there's the little grill place right in the hotel. Plus who wants to wake up for breakfast when you're up late the night before sessioning? Not me.

Other than that I don't mind the Seacrest. I think it definitely be cheaper for the quality of the rooms, but it's worth it to be right there where the action is.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2701 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Have to agree with Justin.. the price of the Seacrest is crazy. Nothing special about it.
EricClark
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
68 Posts

Profile of EricClark
I stayed at the Falmouth Inn. It was about half the price, but I had bright green water in the pool and a bathroom full of ants (probably still cleaner than home though ....)
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
Alrighty. Its taken me over a week to get back to this topic, had to work lots of over time to make up for the money I spent at the convention! I initially wanted to write about everything that went on at the convention but that would take too long! I had a wonderful time at this convention. Fridays lecture with Helder was the finest lecture I have seen. Helder is brilliant and also a very nice guy. I find his notes to be worth their weight in diamond. I watched a little bit of Chris Capehart's lecture but then got hungry and left. Next was Jon Allen, he was alright, he seemed really stressed and jet lagged. He had a nice false cut and also a nice production move, but other than that he didn't really impress me.

The friday nite show was awesome! My favorite act on Friday was Johnny, my girlfriend and I were included in his dollar bill routine, my girlfriend was put on the spot and that was fun! I thought all the acts were very good but watching a living legend perform was very special to me. And after the show we went back to the Seacrest and had some drinks and then moved into Bob Cassidy's lecture. Bob is very passionate about the art of mentalism and I just loved how he went on and on about the history of mentalism and the spirit mediums. Bob had a lot to share and I really enjoyed his lecture.
Ok Saturday, I overslept and missed Nate Kranzo's lecture. I heard through a few of my boys at Hank's that it was good and was also tipped about an upcoming Coin DVD that Nate's working on as he gave one of my friends at Hanks a demo of it(I get to watch it next week!). And then was David Regal, a very extroverted performer to say the least! I only caught a little bit of his lecture due to my oversleeping, but I heard he was great. And next was Dirk Losander, at first I wasnt going to watch him but I am so glad I stayed! What a nice guy and great magician! I look at him now as a master of levititation! After watching his lecture I bought a crapload of Loops! His floating table was the prettiest levitation I have seen and then BANG no hands!!!! Amazing!
Then after lunch came Tim Wright, Skilldini. He was very funny and his magic wasnt too bad either! I thought he was gonna have a heart attack he was sweating sooo bad! He obviously wasnt ready for his lecture, nothing was prepared and he was forgetting a lot of stuff and it seemed like he was only doing things he could remember, very random stuff if you ask me. And then:
The Close Up Show: Yeaaaah! We were in the room with Bob The Balloon man. I think we had the best room. First we got to have Johnny Thompson first and he also gave us and extra 6-7 minutes extra magic. He did the Balls and Net and then the Egg bag routine, once again my girlfriend was asked to help him,( I think after Sunday she is now in love with Johnny!). Then we got Helder, this guy is just the best,(nobody tops Johnny) Helder"s magic is just beautiful( I also got to watch a private video he made!!). After Helder, came Jon Allen he was good but I just don't like his british humour. And then we got Nate Kranzo, he was great, he did a beautiful 3 coin routine and also a brilliantly funny Ring in Lime routine. Im thinkin about using his party poppers for some of my work!! And lastly and very lately was Tony Birreli, my girlfriend wlso participated in his gambling routine and it was very good, at one point he had about 15,000 Euro on the table!!! So all in all the close up show was wonderful, maybe too much magic for people to handle but it was Wonderful!
And Saturday nites show was good too. This post is getting very long so I wont go on and on, but what I will say is Chris Capehart stole the show!! The performers werent really on point but that's ok, we are all human and make mistakes. Magic Christian trying to the thing with the cards and the cane took a lot of you know what! Anybody remember when he made a spread of cards on his arm and them *poof* Gone! That was crazy! Anyways I enjoyed it all even the guy with the whip! Then back to Seacrest and drank a few and made some friends.
Sunday, wow that was just great. Taking that trip down memory lane with Johnny Thompson( My hero!) I loved it when he did the impersonation of Dai vernon, that cracked me up! I also got me a Birt Shirt to always have that day in my head when I wear it. All in all it was a great weekend at Hank Lee's convention I personally took him to the side and thanked him for doing such a great job. I will be back next year and will again stay at The Seacrest, yes the rates are unreasonlably high but its worth it to be right there the entire time. I hope people read this, its taken me awhile to type it up for those who were not there and who would like to come next year.
Pauly
Astonishment as Therapy...?
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
Pauly, looking forward to meeting you there next year! I drove up there from PA by myself, didn't know anyone there, and didn't do much talking to anyone. Guess I was just a bit shy being at my first convention. -J.R.
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
Yeah I'll be there for sure!! that's a long drive from PA to MA. Must have taken you 5 hours. I don't remember seeing you but then again there was a lot of people there! Im hoping next will be as good if not better. Hank is taking requests for next years performers I still don't know who I would like to see yet! Hank doesn't have the same performers there every year so there is no telling what next year has to offer. *** Did anybody else buy Helder's lecture notes I have a question about his " Test Condtions" effect. If you do have them please PM me.
Pauly
Astonishment as Therapy...?
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
Actually, the drive was about 8 hours. For the record, New Jersey and Connecticut suck (the highways, that is). I wish I had bought them, he was one of the most impressive performers there. In the notes is there any contact info for him so I can get a set? -J.R.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Hank Lee's Cape Cod Magic Conclave (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL