The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Hole in my heart. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
I am 16, and my little brother is 13. We love magic, pure and simple. In every essence, the art of amazement is the master-craft, in my opinion. To be able to elate someone, I think, is the best feeling a performer can have. The people who fostered this love, who nurtured it until it could fill the room are very near and dear to my heart. I wandered into the East Coast Magic shop three years ago last week. It was located in the Nittany Mall in Penn State. Behind the counter, John Blake stood, performing triumph. Bob Elliot was there, and he produced a coin from behind my ear. I was floored. Then he produced a jumbo plastic dime from my brother's ear. HE let him keep it, and we still have it today. My brother had been in the store before, and had purchased Nickles-to-Dimes and a set of Chinese Sticks. We were both hooked from then on. DVD's started piling up in our entertainment center, and we practiced our craft until late into the night, huddled around a five inch portable DVD player, cards in our hands, our eyes peeled open.

We had so many meetings with John Blake in particular. He is fantastic. Taught by Frank garcia and Slydini, he was and is the epitome of smooth. His gimmick was that of a smooth-talking New York hustler, and he didn't have to look far for character inspiration. There are dozens of hilarious stories I can remember, and will cherish for the rest of my life.

Today, after two or three hours of on/off work on various moves, and a lot of laughs, John told my brother and I to sit down. He told us that since he's now moving completely into whole-sale, he'll be closing the store by the end of the first week in April. It was like a slap in the face. Swallowing down the lump in my throat, we continued on with what we normally would have done any other day--mess around, laugh, and do magic. We purchased a few things and went home.

I'll never forget John's teaching and instruction. Yes, he'll be around, but it won't be the same. With no store, I don't know how we'll keep in contact and that saddens me the most. Other people have already left. John Royer, a student of John for far longer than us, is in the south, and the others have other things that need doing. It seems like my world is ending. where will I go? What will I do? I don't know. This age of cyberspace is where the money is, and I fear for ALL brick and mortar's that this will be their fate someday too.

Monte Smile
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi Monte

You might ask your friend John to introduce you to a Magic Club that meets in your area. The good news is that experienced Magicians realize the future of our craft rests with youngsters like you and your brother. These same Magicians will be more than pleased to work with you and welcome you into club related activities with other Magic Enthusiasts.

Of course, keep returning to the Café whenever you have a specific question or want to share your own or your brother's experiences.

If there's not a club near you, research the Society of Young Magicians, the youth arm of the Society of American Magicians. The International Brotherhood of Magicians also has a youth group. You'll receive a monthly newletter and access to special web sites AND the ability to communicate with other young magicians like yourselves.

Magically

Julie
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
John was going to start an SAM assembly, but that too is being dissolved. The IBM around here is the last option

Thank you for your comments.

Monte
Strollingjoe
View Profile
New user
Punxsutawney, PA
5 Posts

Profile of Strollingjoe
Montethrower-As the VP of the State College IBM Ring #352, I look forward to seeing you at one of our monthly meetings. I used to be one of the owners of East Coast magic, along with John and Ben Salinas. Our club meets the second Wednesday of each month, at Perkins Restuarant in State College, around 6:30pm. John has been to the last couple of meetings, including last nights.

Things have changed in the club recently, including most of the officers. We're heading in a new direction, with monthly lectures and some road trips planned.

Give John a call at the shop (before he closes) and ask him about it. Tell him Strollin' Joe said to call.

Best regards and have a magical day
Strolling Joe
Strollingjoe
View Profile
New user
Punxsutawney, PA
5 Posts

Profile of Strollingjoe
Montethrower-As the VP of the State College IBM Ring #352, I look forward to seeing you at one of our monthly meetings. I used to be one of the owners of East Coast magic, along with John and Ben Salinas. Our club meets the second Wednesday of each month, at Perkins Restuarant in State College, around 6:30pm. John has been to the last couple of meetings, including last nights.

Things have changed in the club recently, including most of the officers. We're heading in a new direction, with monthly lectures and some road trips planned.

Give John a call at the shop (before he closes) and ask him about it. Tell him Strollin' Joe said to call.

Best regards and have a magical day
Strolling Joe
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Off topic Monte but I just had to compliment you on your writing skills.
I just wish that I could have a fraction of your writing ability. If you don't go into Magic as a profession you should seriously consider writing as a vocation.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Hole in my heart. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL