The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Linux OS? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Boy, am I behind the times.

Mu computer whiz son showed me an operating system called Linux. I had to admit I had never heard of it.

But the graphics and animation looked pretty cool.
Anybody here had any experience with it? Thumbs up or thumbs down?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Stuart Coyle
View Profile
New user
Australia
62 Posts

Profile of Stuart Coyle
Big thumbs up here, but then again I'm just a hairy old Linux fanboy. I've used and abused Linux in various forms for over 10 years now.

Advantages: 1. It's free, as in beer
2. It's free, as in speech
3. It works, most of the time, If it doesn't theres a good strong community there to help.
4. There's tons of software available for it. Just not the latest video games and other fluff.
5. Very few if any viruses and security problems.
6. If, like me, you like to tinker with software, Linux is it!

Disadvantages: 1. There's a bit of a learning curve, but then again learning something new is not really a bad thing.
2. There's a few useful applications that are missing.
3. It's a moving target. Linux is rapidly growing and evolving.
4. Microsoft won't get your $. Which is only a disadvantage if you work for Bill Gates or have shares.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That's a good start! Sounds cool so far.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
The various releases of Linux are called "distributions" or distros. I just read somewhere that a recent distro (I forget the name) makes it much easier for person who is not too geeky to install it and be up and running without a lot of tinkering. Tinkering is both the upside and the downside of Linux. (Somebody please explain...okay, I'll try...it's kind of involved and has to do with how Linux evolved as open software that anyone on the net could and did improve and tweak almost hourly. This was a totally different model of how software should be debugged and improved than its predecessor Unix, which was the property of AT&T, or Microsoft, or Apple at the time, all of which were proprietary (although System X is Unix under the hood). There were several "popular" marketed distros of Linux such as Debian and Red Hat but they all required a lot of tinkering and programming manipulation and the worked in a rather clumsy and jerky fashion. All that has changed now for the better, or so I have heard. So if you want to get "hands on" with the operating system and software, you still can, but if you just want it to work out of the box, it is almost at the stage of doing so.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1077 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
I'm a happy linux user through Ubuntu...
no virus, tab browsing, and so easy to use...
Highly recommended
^^
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
So far, it all sounds thumbs up.
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
It sucks if you are not very technical. And I mean VERY technical. non of this popping a CD in and it working, or such (got WiFi an you linux Laptop?)

want to print? best of luck. Though support is improving.

IF you want to have a go at linux, get a spare PC and play with it. I would not recommend rebuilding your working PC with linux unless you are competent and understand dual booting and such.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
I write commercial software for the motor trade and with a Windows based network application if you haven't got a server and you want a network set up where there could be more than 10 concurrent users ( for XP professional - Home is only 5 ) you have a problem. Microsoft impose this restriction to 'encourage' you to invest in a Microsoft server.

One solution is to stick the main database on a Linux machine and problem is sorted.
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Linux OS? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL