The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tenkai Question.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Abacus
View Profile
New user
Australia
44 Posts

Profile of Abacus
Not to sure where to post this but...

Where did the Tenkai palm get it's name? Just wondering about the history? Also, what's the deal with the Gooshman pinch and the Tenkai Pinch? They are the same move (I think) so why the two names?? Just looking for a bit of a history lesson..

Ben
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
The name for the Tenkai palm was taken directly from it's creator, Japanese magician Bob Tenkai, as was the Tenkai Pinch. Albert Goshman popularized the move (the pinch not the palm) and his name just kinda stuck there, despite his constant reassurances that he learned Tenkai's move from Ed Balducci.

The modern version of the Goshman pinch (which can be seen on Jay Sankey's videos) differs from the Tenkai version in the way the hand moves to enter the pinch. Jay credits Scotty York for this contemporary
handling of the "Goshman Pinch". Clear as mud, eh?

Good golly I'm spewing magical lore. What has happened to me? (I'm sure Andi Gladwin will be along momentarily to correct any oversight I may have made, the little punk.)
:mad:
:blackeye:
:bwink:
Yakworld.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
By the way, I was just joking about the Tenkai's first name being Bob. It's not Bob.

It's Dave. Smile
Yakworld.
Abacus
View Profile
New user
Australia
44 Posts

Profile of Abacus
Hey, thanks!!!!

Learn something new...

Ben
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2321 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Honestly, it comes from tenkai-land. A happy place where all things are between thumb and palm. Smile
Abacus
View Profile
New user
Australia
44 Posts

Profile of Abacus
While we're on it, any tips for the Tenkai Card Palm. Position, but mostly the angles???
(good, bad and the ugly)
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
For those who care to know, Tenkai's first name is Ishida.

As for Tenkai palming of cards or jumbo coins, the only good angles are when people are in front of you and the back of the hand always faces toward the spectators.

If you get spectators off to your sides your angles are shot.
Click to visit:
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
It's a little known fact that Ishida is actually the Japanese derivative of Bob.

It's true. Smile
Yakworld.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Yak,
This is true actually. In Japanese, Robert is Ishidaranoisanda. Ishida, of course being Bob.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
I knew that.

Smile
Yakworld.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Reminds me of the old story of Ten Ichi, and his student, Eleven Ichi...
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
And then there's that great Chinese magician from Peking. His name was Tom . . . also known as --(yes)-- Peking Tom.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
615 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Don't forget "Fu Ling Yu."

Sorry.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
On 2002-02-01 11:32, yakandjak wrote:
(I'm sure Andi Gladwin will be along momentarily to correct any oversight I may have made, the little punk.)
:mad:
:blackeye:
:bwink:

Sorry I'm jumping in late here! Everything seems present and correct Smile (j/k).

One thing though, Tenkai's full name was not Ishida Tenkai, but actually Tenkai Ishida. A subtle, but important difference! I'm also pretty sure that the palm was originally published in the card section of John Northern Hilliard's Greater Magic.

--Andi
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
hmmmm...what's the Japanese derivation of "Yakandjak?" It can't be "Bob..." maybe "Bobo?" Smile
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tenkai Question.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL