The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Creativity in Children's Entertainment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I use a lot of things which I have purchased from dealers with great results. I feel that my creativity comes through with the words that I use while performing. I admire these people who are so creative that they invent all there own magic. Are you people constantly inventing? What about repeat shows? If the things you invent are truly original maybe you should think about marketing your best stuff. I am also an inventor being the only person in the world to receive a U.S. patent for a magic wand. People love my wand and I love their inventions. We share. They benefit, I benefit and our audiences benefit. I love our community.
AshleyW
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of AshleyW
Quote:
On 2007-09-11 13:20, chris mcbrien wrote:
Ashley,
Grow up. This is a board where people should be able to express themselves without someone constantly being on their backs.

Funny, the person you should be preaching that to is the ever-accusing "Mr. Riddle" who finds fault in all that is not of his own liking. But then, there is a special relationship there between you two, isn't that true?
:)
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"Funny, the person you should be preaching that to is the ever-accusing "Mr. Riddle" who finds fault in all that is not of his own liking"

Please, Ashley, I would love to know where on this board I have ever accused anyone of anything. Ofcourse, I have opinions about many things. Life would be awfully dull if I never expressed those opinions.
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
My whole thing of packing smaller and still playing big came from the number of shows that I do each year. I am very busy at the beat of about 600 per year. There are days I do 5 shows and need to get in and out in a hurry. One thing I wanted to make sure of was that I did not take any entertainment value away from the show or the client. Packing smaller made me become more creative in terms of how I was going to get "all this stuff" in a small briefcase. I believe that bigger props don't make your show any better. There are plenty of props on the market (if you want to buy them) that are pack flat and play huge. As I mentioned earler, I design most of my stuff and change some stuff up as well when I do buy something.

These days I simply walk in with a briefcase and a small bag with a strap that I throw over my shoulder. I open my briefcase, open the bag and in about 2 minutes I am ready to go. When I am done, I close the briefcase and bag and I am out the door and on the road. This does not mean that everyone should do this, it just works for me. Packing this was forced me to be more creative in temrs of getting an entire show into something so small.

FYI- for anyone that atteneded Kidabra last month....did you notice the number of performers who are also playing their show out of a briefcase or something similar?

Creativity os something that we all have but seldon ever use. Anyone can buy anything for sale. It is really what you do with it that makes it creative. For example, I used PB & J for a few years in my show and did something totally different from what most others do. In the end it was no longer PB&J but something much much better and stronger (at least in my opinion and others as well).
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Todd75
I believe you, but 600 shows a year is approaching two a day. When do you eat? You are busier than Willie Nelson.

I also pack small, my show is a brief case, a juggling bag, and a jump stool. "magic does not come from the wand, it comes from the magician"
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Hi Al!

There are days that I do none, some days one show, some two and some five....just depends on the time of year. Willie Nelson performs some and ...well he smokes dope!

I would not go back to a big suitcase table, side tables, etc. for anything. I believe my show has gotten better since I've gone this direction. According to a client that had me on Sunday, "you were even better this year."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Todd75
My show is mostly rope, and silk magic. I have always performed rope magic, but for the past few years I've been buying silk magic which is perfect for kids, because they like the visual stuff, and yes I believe I get better every year too. I won't say any more about Willie.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Ropes, sponge balls, mouth coils, silks, etc. all work well and get great results! Again, walking in with a simple setup is the way to go (at least for me and Al) it is anyway.

I lost track of the number of times I walked into a school and was told that my program was moved to the gym. Great- except that someone forgot to inform the PE teacher and she has a class of kids running around the gym. The last thing in the world she wants is to have to take her class outside while you get setup. Since going to this new system (briefcase and bag), I have had more people compliment me on the show itself than before. No more big bulky props, 2 side tables, 30 minutes of setup time and 30 minutes of breaking down. It works very well for me and not a single person has ever complained. If anything they are thankful that I am out of the way so quicly.

At Kidabra we all played something call THE GAME where you were required to roll a dice, land on a color, flip a card with the same color and talk about what the card said. As the team leader of my group, prop management came up and everyone agreed that taking so much stuff to a show was really getting old. Many of the people in my group were surprised when I showed them what I take to a show.

None of this is to brag whatsoever. It just goes back to creative thinking on my part. I encourage anyone and everyone to take a look at what they are doing and see if and how they can make themselves better performers and think for themselves. There is nothing wrong at all with buying someone else's prop, it is really what you do with it that counts.
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"My show is mostly rope, and silk magic."

I agree with you, Al and Todd. Rope and silks are perfect for children, and open themselves up to great creativity. This is why I love Tyler's Silken Saga, which I believe is one of the greatest ever children's effects. As far as I know, it is not a dealer's item, and I made my own based on the original manuscript. I also adapt many of the wonderful rope routines of the late George Sands.
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Chelsea, UK
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
It's good business to have two birthday shows; one that packs very small and one that doesn't and charge accordingly. That way instead of a yes or no to hiring you, they are given a choice between the shows and not so likely to give you a flat "No".

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Todd75
This thread is all about magicians using their own imagination to make better magic. Does Kidabra do anything along those lines? I know that they endorce lots of courses, and products, but what do they do to help you create your own signiture routines?
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1142 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Al, I went to Kidabra a couple years back. At that time Barry Mitchell lectured on creativity (Building a Better Mouse Trap). I've since purchased both his "creative" books and find them filled with idea joggers.

That's really what I got out of Kidabra. I got to meet several magicians who are good performers and like-minded individuals. So, as with any convention, the casual times are very useful. However, I filled my mind with great ideas. Yes, there were plenty of props and ready-made routines to purchase. But the atmosphere allows for one's creativity to go wild.

For instance, while there, I saw a dog puppet being sold by Practical Magic. The routine they presented wasn't my style, but a few of the bits of business were. It got my wheels turning. That puppet needed a voice. So I purchased it and started working on vent skills. After writing my own routine, he is now the most mentioned part of many of my shows. That's just one example. There are many great ideas that sprang from that one week, and that I use in my shows today. The secret is that I went with an open mind, expecting to come away with lots of great ideas.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Kidabra promotes creativity and I feel that one can always learn something by going. When you see what others have done using their creativity it rubs off on you and makes you want to do the same.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I love puppets and their possibilities.

Just finished tweaking a puppet routine to match the needs of an elementary school for the opening of their Bullying Assembly.

Just got a Preying Mantis Puppet for next years Catch the Reading Bug. $1.99 on Ebay...Working on a way to have it be part of a reappearance. Don't know if it will be a torn corner card, dollar, or vanished scarf.

Bully's prey on others. I may call it Abraham and use it in Gospel applications as well.."Praying Mantis".

Oh what fun it is to create in a one horse open play......jingle bells, my trash smells, ...

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2007-09-14 10:04, Harris wrote:
I love puppets and their possibilities.

Just finished tweaking a puppet routine to match the needs of an elementary school for the opening of their Bullying Assembly.

Just got a Preying Mantis Puppet for next years Catch the Reading Bug. $1.99 on Ebay...Working on a way to have it be part of a reappearance. Don't know if it will be a torn corner card, dollar, or vanished scarf.

Bully's prey on others. I may call it Abraham and use it in Gospel applications as well.."Praying Mantis".

Oh what fun it is to create in a one horse open play......jingle bells, my trash smells, ...

Harris

It actually is a "Praying Mantis" and got it's name from it's prayer-like stance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praying_mantis
Mister Mystery
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Now that this thread is resurrected, I'd like to make an obtuse comment.

I don't know of a single guitar-playing singer-songwriter who is considered less of an artist because s/he is not also a luthier. Buy the prop, make the art with it.

Of course, to be consistent in the metaphor, there is of course, higher respect both artistically and commercially for those who do their own music, as opposed to "cover" material. In the early days of recording arts, that wasn't always true, but it is now. Even when a well-known act does someone else's material, it is appreciated as tribute, and you have to get to a certain level before it becomes that. Of course, even there, the metaphor breaks down further as many top acts have songwriters behind them. However, they often have an exclusive relationship with the songwriter.

So, Jim Steinmeyer creates for Copperfield, just as a songwriter does for a singer, and most of that is not known by the public. But we're talking about the karaoke level of borrowing creations. I still see a difference in that a karaoke audience knows the song because it is popular, whereas a magic audience often has not seen the effect before. Begging the question, is this just an internal conversation?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I love to play with words that sound alike and have different meaning/spelling.

Thanks for clarification and the link.

harri9s (the 9 is silent)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Both ways will make a clever presentation!
Mister Mystery
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Hi Rev
If you look at the bottom of this post you will see that I am a jumbo singer song writer fan. That being said in magic we have a far different set of circumstances. Most of the tricks that I do are completely original in the eyes of the lay man, because of my own presentation of old tricks that another magician would instantly recognize. David Blaine does several tricks that I do, but his street hustler style makes it look completely different from anything that I have ever done. Which is what this thread is all about. I have had great applause from an all magician audience when I did my silly "pull the hat out of the rabbit" trick.
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"David Blaine does several tricks that I do, but his street hustler style makes it look completely differant from anything they I have ever done."

I can also bet you, Al, that you are more charismatic(sp?) than Mr. Blaine! The stunt he performed a few years ago in London where he was shut in a glass box for a month was ridiculed by many of the Brits. However, at least he was being a little creative in a macabre sort of way. By the way, Al, as grammar host you may want to check on the spelling of "different" and "that". Maybe you are just being creative!!

Chelsea, UK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Creativity in Children's Entertainment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL