The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do Magicians Ever Take On An Apprentice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danspada
View Profile
New user
Hartford, CT
10 Posts

Profile of danspada
I am new to magic and am just learning the basics. I'm in my early 20's and magic is always something I wanted to do, and am just now beginning. I have books and DVD's, but I feel like I would be able to learn more by being around magic more. So I guess my question is do Magicians ever take on an apprentice, or is that one of the forbidden things, like telling a "laymen" the secret?

Sorry to sound nieve, but since I started learning all this stuff, it's all I think about. I find myself closing my door at work and practicing certain material.

Thanks for the help!
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Welcome to the wonderful world of magic! You'll have a great time.

Not knowing where you are from, I'd suggest seeing if there is a local magic club in the area. If so, go meet them and say hello. Clubs are always looking for new members and I'm sure they'd be glad to help you learn some magic.

Best of luck. Mark.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Just don't cast a spell on the broom. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Magic clubs, shops and even this Café can be a good source of help to you.

Get yourself connected with those that are doing the type of magic (such as close up, cups and balls, manipulations, etc) that are also your interest. Meet up with them, email them or PM them and you will find those that are keen to help you out.

From there ... welcome to the fascinating world of magic. I'm sure you will like it
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Yes, but it depends on their workload and availability. Sometimes a retired magician will teach a class and if they find a serious & talented enough student, then apprenticeship may be offered. If you can find a local IBM/SAM ring in your hometown, join it. You will find many magicians willing to help a beginner as yourself. Be careful about practicing at work though, you may be using your talents earlier than you think if you're caught practicing magic instead of working Smile A bit of advice, practice on your breaks just to be safe! Any hoo,
have fun and good luck with you new addiction! Smile
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Danspada, what books and DVDs do you have?
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Back in senior year of high school I took on a freshman aspiring magi that showed a lot of potential and had a real love for the art. He worked hard throughout that year and really started to make progress. Unfortunately when I've visited the high school since then, he not only isn't progressing anymore, but he's nearly completely stopped pursuing magic. Shame.
gunslinger
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of gunslinger
I have to echo the clubs responses. I serve as the VP of the SAM here in Columbia SC and also as an adult leader for the SYM. Every meeting we all get together to talk,show and teach magic. So depending on your outlook if you are a member of a club every member is an apprentice of sorts.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3207 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Let me hijack this topic and ask everyone- if you could aprentice under ONE (1) magician- who would that ONE (1) magician be?

I'd have to answer Eugene Burger. He just seems to posess some true wisdom!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Goku
View Profile
New user
Japan
92 Posts

Profile of Goku
I would love to aprentice under Michael Ammar, I love his DVD's and I find his approach and teaching style to my liking. He's so versitle with cards, coins, threads and cups and balls, truly a wealth of knowledge and I would love to experience face to face.
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Jay Sankey.....
(Could you guess)

Will//
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Michael Ammar....He's versatile, his patter and routines are presented flawlessly, and he makes everything look like magic.

Too hijack again if you could apprentice with one magician living or dead who would it be?

Many great ones: Slydini? Houdini? Houdin? Kapps? Vernon? Ramsey?

My choice would be Harry Houdini. Other magicians my have had a greater influence on magic, but none has had such influence on the public. Over 80 years since his death nearly everyone knows who he was. He broke the mold and his example, I believe, helped influence other mold breakers like Doug Henning, Chris Angel and others.
Wes
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I would consider Doug Henning. He not only had a love for the art, but knew how to have a good time doing it. He was able to easily convey that enthusiasm to the audience, bringing them along for the ride. His child-like innocence was also a major plus. I just wish all of us were more like him, except for the dead part! Smile
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
DAVID BLAINE OBV!

Ok now seriously. I'd have to say one of the Café's own: Devin Knight. I love his work. Every single ad reads as if it is completely impossible, and yet every time I purchase a product from him I get EXACTLY what he describes. An amazing thinker, that I'm sure has more notes of amazing tricks sitting around that he's never used, than I will ever know.

-Dustin
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
I think some of us are picking our favorite magician, rather than the one we'd like to apprentice under.

I know two pros who were mentored by Eugene Burger, and they both love him.

However, I would not want to try to get Houdini to teach me anything!

///ark
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Of course magicians are willing and do take on an apprentice. Try a few conventions and meet some magicians.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
I've taken on a couple of people in my time. They are people whom have seen me perform and have shown themselves to just be interested beyond 'how do you do that?' Of course it starts like that, but then I've fed bit by bit to see if they are interested. Over time that developed into lessons and slowly I suppose into me seeing them as apprentices and them seeing me as a teacher. Having said that, I have never been taught by any one person - but by many different people.

I suppose what I'm getting at, is show you are enthusiastic, and that you're interested in learning how to do magic... not how magic is done... and you'll find that people are very forthcoming with their knowledge.
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If you will think in terms of "mentor" it may give an edge.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3494 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I was very fortunate to have a few amazing mentors from the golden-age of magic who were patient, tough, and dedicated.

Since its inception magic has been an art-form that has been passed down from Master to Apprentice (or Mentor to Protégée) and I feel this is the best way to gain skills and grow to professional status.

I strongly feel, having been mentored to be the performer I am today, that it is my responsibility and duty to work with younger magicians who I recognize promise and talent in.

I’m proud to have worked with Kostya Kimlat, Daniel Greenwolf, David Miller and others in their formative years, and have been amazed at how they’ve blossomed into individually unique entertainers.

All you’ve got to do is ask. If there is a match, and time and energy allow an old-timer will take you on, but don’t think it’s the easy path, to be mentored can be a daunting ritual.

Magically,
Walt
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Your best bet is to get in League with some magic dealer who also might perform in your area. I use the phrase "in League with" as a metaphor as to how I feel about most dealers, but you will learn the most from them as their ulterior motive will ultimately be your purchases.
I always took my aspiring customers to my shows to show them what could be done with the apparatus I displayed. My apprentices included over 100 magicians who still perform 25 years later. Bob Berg (mentalist), Rudy Coby (Comedian/magician), Tony Luhs, (kids comedy), David Haines (illusionist, cruise ship performer) to name a few.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do Magicians Ever Take On An Apprentice? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL