The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ellis Ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Hi All:

What have been your experiences utilizing the "Johnson" Ellis Ring in the "Thumb Vanish Routine" included with the gimmick? It seems to me to be a little too heavy, and thus difficult to deny it's existance after lifting the s***l under the silk. Maybe it's just me, but it seems risky.

Thanks for your inputs in advance!
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Its no problem at all. The key, is to warm the ring to body temprature before starting.
The thumb is easily tricked into feeling nothing as far as weight, but will easily sense a change in hot and cold. Don't know why, maby different types of nerve cells or something.

As long as you have a Johnson or Viking ring, you should be ok. The big cheapie rings are harder to work with in every respect.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
nostromo
View Profile
New user
Pensacola, Fla
79 Posts

Profile of nostromo
Agreed. Done right, the ellis ring routine with the thumb is a real breath-sucker. Only problem is it's really a one-on-one effect and if youre not careful you'll have a line around you almost as long as if you started dong balloon animals ("do me! DO ME next!!")

In addition to keeping the metal warm it helps to make sure that every aspect of the gimmick is smooth. The one I have seemed to be rough and in need of some polishing.

It also helps to 'drag' it at an angle along the BACK of the thumb- gently 'scrape' the skin with only a small part of the roundest part of the gimmick. The FRONT of the thumb has more nerves (I've worked in a lot of hospitals and on ambulances) and is more sensitive.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
You can make the effect a little more intense by using the "Warping time" misdirection. Use a playing card size clock face (homemade paper is fine) to misdirect a little, but only move forward or back in time, and never both at the same time. This will take the heat off you, and give you a chance to perform a little and build up your nerve. Once the deception, has been practiced a bit you will be very confident in perfoming it without the clock. (or you might decide you like the clock)

Also as nostromo stated, it needs to be poilshed as shiny and smooth as it can get. If there is rough corrosion or even a rough tarnish, a small movement of the specs thumb can tip them off and give it away.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ellis Ring (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL