The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Fred Kaps on Ed Sullivan (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2039 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I recently purchased the DVD of the Ed Sullivan show which had Fred Kaps on it doing his cards & salt pour.
My question being does anyone know where I might find the instructions for the card effect. It started with 5 low value cards 2's & 3's etc..as they were counted a face card appeared. He would discard the face card and again show 5 low value cards, again a face card would appear. This continued until the 3 of Diamonds was left which also turned into a face card. Anyone ?
By the way, he followed the Beatles , and I might add he was still (in my opinion) a super act on the show.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
834 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Show Stoppers with Cards Hugard and Braue is the closest I'm aware of. Different handling though. Kaps actual handling is not in print anywhere, as far as I know. Larry Jennings had a take on the same effect, but again his handling is different. The effect is "Homing Card"...not to be confused with the great Francis Carlyle effect by the same name.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Homing Card is the name of the effect. I know there have been several variations of it I have seen at FFFF over the years. I am afraid that a card man is going to have to direct you in the right direction here.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2039 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Any idea as to the method. Of course in the hands of Fred Kaps it looked totally magical..In the meantime I will see if I can find the instructions for Homing Card.
Thanks for the info...
Rennie
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
There is a DVD featuring versions of the Homing Card by six different magicians. I think I got mine from Stevens.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2039 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Found this on Google,

Homing Card eManuscript
A charming card magic presentation that was a favorite of the late great Fred Kaps. A Queen and four opposite color spot cards are introduced. To the performer's seeming consternation, each time he discards the Queen, it returns a moment later. His frustration builds until he is finally left with a single spot card; which also changes back into the irrepressible Queen! You won't find a more cativating card plot in all of magic. Works with regular ungimmicked cards and two fairly easy moves.

Download price: $3.95
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Bob Sheets has a nice routine with (If I remember is the Trevor Lewis version) the homing card. Very good effect but the most important thing is the acting You must beable to act well with this effect in order for it to go over well.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sheets sells his version.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2039 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2007-03-08 19:03, Pete Biro wrote:
Sheets sells his version.

What is the contact for Bob Sheets ?
Rennie
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Here is a website for Bob Sheets. I never tried to contact him through it, but it's worth a try.

http://www.bobsheets.com/

I have seen him do his homing card and it's very good. (Of course. Everything Bob Sheets does is good.) He uses larger sized cards, which makes it very visible.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Bob is a member here, although I don't know how often he actually signs on. You can try PMing him here.
Asking how to do the Homing Card is like asking how to do The Ambitious Card, there are as many routines and handlings as there are magicians performing it.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of iugefu
CAN THERE BE A TOUGHER ACT TO FOLLOW, AS FRED KAPS HAD TO FOLLOW THE BEATLES ON THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW?
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2039 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2008-05-24 08:46, iugefu wrote:
CAN THERE BE A TOUGHER ACT TO FOLLOW, AS FRED KAPS HAD TO FOLLOW THE BEATLES ON THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW?

Can you believe that. But being the class act he is, he did fantastic. I also have the Kaps DVD "Seeing is Believing"I highly recommend this to everyone who would like to see how a magician should perform.
Rennie
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4867 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:

Do you always shout?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chris Bruce
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
207 Posts

Profile of Chris Bruce
Check the Classic Magic of Larry Jennings for lots of info and versions on this routine.

cb
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:

Actually Kaps did not follow the Beatles. Fred's performance was taped earlier and then added to the show. So he could have been placed anywhere in the program.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2039 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2008-07-04 11:51, RS1963 wrote:
Quote:

Actually Kaps did not follow the Beatles. Fred's performance was taped earlier and then added to the show. So he could have been placed anywhere in the program.

Very interesting, I did not know that.
Rennie
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4867 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Fred Kaps Group on Facebook, join here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32350776606
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bear in mind... it was Kaps' ACTING not the method you should study.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Fred Kaps on Ed Sullivan (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL