The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » YouTube Bizarre (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
I concur. good point. most bizarre ive seen on 'stage' just looked, well, not bizarre...not to say it cant be done (and is by a few good mage I know here)...but I'd rather do that "meet me at crossroads at 6 o'clock" kinda bizarre.

when I do shows, the smaller the better--then I bust out the artifacts...but when I'm doing a bigger show as per a school etc., I tend to lean toward mentalism, but with some vodou patter here and there.....I think Docc Hilford has a similar approach, from what Ive seen him do personally...minus the vodou patter though Smile

Baba
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Hey HSIN. What's the bizarre scene like in Israel?

On another note, every time I google bizarre magic Brian Brushwood info always pops up first. Maybe he's good but there's NO WAY a Brian Brushwood action figure can beat up a David Blain action figure. I mean...there's just no way! Smile
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Still one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eULF6Jw0bU4
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I agree also, Bizarre is so much about the ambiance, the mood, the smells, as well as the sounds and visuals, that a lot of it will not translate well into the video medium. It's very much a "Guess you had to be there" kind of experience, as opposed to more straightforward magic.

How_Soon_Is_Now, if I may suggest, you are taking yourself (and this genre)a little bit too seriously. The best and brightest in here have very liberal senses of humor, it's a sign of intelligence, actually.(look at Dolphins !)
You can keep a stiff upper lip if you want, but you'll just look like another shrunken head around here to us if you do. Smile
The time to be deadly serious is when performing; but here in the forum, we're not fooling anyone - we're all magicians.
Have fun.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:

My drawing a line around my hand ona bit of paper is far different from the care I take in making sure the lighting is low and people are relaxed and ready. In opening the Sumi set box, the subtle sound of the grinding the ink on the stone mixing the ink with a drop of water as I explain about things known as sympathetic magic;lighting the incense stick and having that scent stimulation; having the helper select a piece of clean white rice paper from the roll; having the helper trace the line around my hand with the brush and ink, while they think of a single finger on my hand. Having them carefully hold the inked finger of the paper over the stick to singe it, just a little (most actually burn a hole) and watch them jump back as I cry out, showing my hand, and the blister.
five minutes for the blister trick? Yes. And they jump and scream concerned that they have truly injured me. Utube? maybe. I will see what I can do, though it might be a while before I can get it done.
k

Beautifully done, Kay ! I think the blister effect is well worth 5 minutes if not more! That's powerful stuff, after all. You do it justice.

Being one of my favorite effects, I'm always on the lookout for the perfect, concealable, most innocent looking blistermaker possible. (To make up for my lack of sleights and handling of course) I know several that exist, such as k**s, but I'm always on the lookout for the better mousetrap - you know me .. Smile

BTW, if you're not squeamish, have you thought of pricking your finger (any finger) with a pin to draw a drop of blood to add to the ink ? That would certainly lend crediblity to the sympathetic magick aspect, where the ink drawn hand outline becomes even more connected to your real hand. It doesn't really hurt that much.. just keep the pin sterile, though.

(Sorry for going offtopic)
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I find that the Sumi set has all that I need. Most come with a small brass spoon dipper for the water used in mixing the ink. Mine is "just right" for working with on this. There is a backup item in the set that I have modified to use if needed.
The whole set, and tube of rice paper is on the table. Examinable.
Hmmm, I like the idea of the drop of blood, but I might keep that in reserve explaining it as part of the "full" effect, rather than the "simple demonstration"

<Though if you went the really dark route- you would use the blood, have a confederate nearby scream in pain as a large flash occurred, they of course must run from the room as if on fire....>
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
How_Soon_Is_Now
View Profile
New user
Israel
58 Posts

Profile of How_Soon_Is_Now
Quote:
On 2007-03-09 14:06, Mystician wrote:
How_Soon_Is_Now, if I may suggest, you are taking yourself (and this genre)a little bit too seriously. The best and brightest in here have very liberal senses of humor, it's a sign of intelligence, actually.(look at Dolphins !)
The time to be deadly serious is when performing; but here in the forum, we're not fooling anyone - we're all magicians.
Have fun.

Not taking things too seriously, that's what it's all about !
It's those who claim that an effect "doesn't translate well into the video medium" who are taking things too seriously. We, in this forum (contrary to the lay persons), can take a video taped performance with the needed grain of salt.

I realize the exact spectator feeling of an effect won't be passed in a video recording but there's still a lot we can learn from and discuss from sharing such videos (Relating to spectators, Storytelling, Use of music, How to handle moving between the end of one effect to the start of the another).

I have read many wonderful bizarre effect descriptions here, I would like to see the actual performances. I am sure that in this forum, even if the video outcome doesn't match the exact feelings of the spectators you will gain a lot of constructive feedback and help many others.

So, grab your video recorder, get your wife/girlfriend/buddy as a spectator (or even tape a real performance) and post it on the web.
"I know your trail of tears, your slip of hand/ Your monkey paw, your monkey claw/ And you monkey hand/ I've seen your trick of blood, your trap of fire/ Your ancient wound, your scarlet moon/ And your jailhouse smile" - Cave
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
As you're so keen H_S_I_N perhaps you could set an example - and be the first.

I, at least, look forward to your contribution.

Destiny
How_Soon_Is_Now
View Profile
New user
Israel
58 Posts

Profile of How_Soon_Is_Now
Hi Destiny,

I have yet to put on a bizarre performance. I am admiringly a mere novice at this branch of magic. This is one of the reasons I'm asking the more active and experienced bizarre performers here to tape an effect or two.

There are notions which you just can't get from reading a book (I mentioned some above). The best would have been to have a mentor. Without that, I find that that seeing other performers' work helps a lot.

If you took my original post as a challenge then I have been misunderstood. Instead, it's a request for assistance from my fellow forum members.

Eli
"I know your trail of tears, your slip of hand/ Your monkey paw, your monkey claw/ And you monkey hand/ I've seen your trick of blood, your trap of fire/ Your ancient wound, your scarlet moon/ And your jailhouse smile" - Cave
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I will suggest a couple of tapes that are commercially available as a fill in while we gather the dark forces of magnetic particles required...

Flora & Co. "Tony Andruzzi Bizarre"
DVD now- Eugene Burger "Eugene goes Bizarre"

Remember though, not all the Bizarre stuff is dark. Some is more fun, in a twisted way, and some is rather enigmatic- leaving the watcher confused and wondering what just happened! Some is even a bit uplifting, as can be read in some of the works on the Dragonskull website.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I strongly recommand anything "Ricky Jay" you can find.
You'll understand what acting have to do with magic.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
A magicians nightmare:

WARNING! Terrifying video material, for educational purpose only!

This is not funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNdCcvY2Ti4

--------------------------------------------------------------------

You should see this guy swallow razorblades…

BTW I am NOT on the video,

Best Wishes,
John
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » YouTube Bizarre (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL