The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Are You Ready? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Children of the Night,
I have decided to try this once again. What I want to do is to put together a video of the members here in our little sub-culture group doing what they do best (scaring the pants off of willing victims). Here is how it will go down. This e-mail is to see if anyone is interested. I mean really interested. I have tried this before and have had 20 or 30 performers jump on the band wagon (I'm assuming because they like to answer posts) but when it became turn in day they were no where to be seen. I'd like to have no less than 20 performers doing at least 5 minutes but not more than 10 minutes of bizarre effects (Sorry seance workers - unless you want to do a montage type of thing).

This will be a performance only video. No explanations. Each contributor will get a finished version of the compilation. The only thing I will ask is that I be allowed to sell the finished product on my site for putting it together. I would charge a modest $10.00 + shipping for the compilation. This is not a get rich scheme. I would use the money to keep the BizarreMagick.com site up and running.

So are you ready? Let me know. You can post here or e-mail me direct at thevideo@bizarremagick.com . Please don't e-mail me or jump on board unless you are serious about following through with the project.

Thanks,
Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Profile of Dark illusionist
This sounds like a vary exciteing project. Ive always wanted to do something like this. I am vary interested. The problem is I don't know if I'm as a good a story teller as you would want me to be. I am still maturing in magic but I will talk to you more about that in a private conversation. Some other important things would be where we would be meeting to shoot this. I am dieing to film some stuff at a mall. (I will be shooting stuff at a mall soon for footage to open my stage show) anyways your gona get an email from me soon. I cant promis anything now but once there is more information ill either commit or decline.

Good luck and long live the bizare subculture that came from a bizare subculture

hehehe Jonathan

O and let me add that when I perform magic normally I treat my volenteers with respect and I don't scare the pants of them. (they stil get a good shock though) When haunting its exactly the oposit. I scare them real bad. if I were to shoot some footage in october then it would be perfectly acceptible for my audience to run away screaming.
Check out my brand new website:

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Each person would be responsible to video tape their own 5 to 10 minutes piece. The setting is up to you. The effects are up to you. The only restriction is that it has to be of the bizarre Magick theme. Then you would send this to me and I would compile all the videos together onto one video. When will the submissions need to be sent in and where they need to be sent to will be explained to the participants once we get the magick number.
I'll see you on the dark side,
Doug
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Dear friends of the Bizarre,
After talking to Mr. Byrd, I would
like to step forward and make an offer.
An offer you can't refuse! For the Person
that sends the most creative magick
video I will send a pendelum set.
The set is a stained glass answer board,
A ball Pendelum with a small ring stand.
small pouch to hold the pendelum in.
If you would like to see a picture of the
set, send me a private message with the
email address you would like it to be sent
to. I wish I could send one to each person
that sends in video! So don't just sit there
in your coffins! Send in your videos soon!
Thanks and goodluck to all!
Magickman
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
I've decided to keep the registration open till Feb. 1st. After that we'll make a decision to go ahead or cancel the project. Right now I've only got 3 people interested. That ain't gonna cut it. So here's your chance to become slightly immortalized. Don't miss out.

I need at least 20 people to make this worth my while to do.

Thanks,
Doug Byrd
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
what's the point of this, Doug?

is this going to be available to the general public who visits your site?

good performance material (even without explanations) shouldn't be available to the public...it makes what we do less special when they see it in person

and bad performance material turns off the public to bizarre OR traditional magic
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Whats the point?
I take it you are a newbie, Doug isn't asking that we do a whole show. The idea is to build an interest in our art! Who is going to hire you if no one knows what you do for a living? Do you think less of Copperfield's show after you have seen him on TV? Or did that make you want to see the show even more?

Magickman
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
Hayze
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
83 Posts

Profile of Hayze
Sounds like a great project Doug, but I don't feel like my magic is advanced enough at this point to really do it.

Hopefully I'll make volume 2!

:bat:
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
mystic1,
The point is basically to have a show of talent from here on the board. Just so we can see what we all look like in person and our different takes on Bizarre. There will little to no sales of the tape to lay people as they don't come looking for our type. The only ones that would buy it would be the ones who didn't participate. Just so they can see how they stack up and to, again, see what their brothers and sisters look like.

Nothing more. Nothing less.
Doug
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Okay, Doug, count me in.
And to those of you who are holding back for whatever reason, I have a simple question:
Why? (Why are you holding back, that is.)
If you aren't sure of your material, this is the perfect place to find that out.
If you don't think you can do it, this is the perfect place to find that out, too.
You're among friends and will be, so let's do it! Nobody's going to put you down!
(Doug, we'll need a snail-mail address, too)
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Coming up. I've got your address on file. On Feb. 1st I'll e-mail everybody with the final tid bits of interest. That is if we have enough interest.
Thanks for the support Brother Marucci and Rich and others.
Doug
Seance
View Profile
Veteran user
Talking on the other side with
388 Posts

Profile of Seance
OK Doug,

I'm in too -- A couple of questions:

1 - Standard VHS tape? I have a VHS-C videocamera, but can transfer to VHS, if necessary.

2 - Do we do our own introductions (name, effect, etc.) or will that be taken care of by you?

By the way, this is a great idea, since a lot of our brothers and sisters are separated by distance. It's a neat way to see how others interpret bizarre magic.

Thanks for volunteering to put all this together.

Dave
"Even the dead tell stories."
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
That does pose a problem. I wasn't considering the PAL side of things. I was just going to take it from VHS and do a compilation VHS video. I'm unfortunately still living in the Pentium 2 age without a CD burner.

As funds become available this year (maybe?) I can get into the Pentium 4 age just before the boot, scoot, and boogie into the world of tera byte technology.

I suppose I won't be able to transfer it over to PAL or do it digitally.

Also I was going to ask each person to intro their own effect, fade to black, and then change to an area where you are performing it.

Doug
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
So, are we looking for real-live performances in front of breathing audiences or are we talking about just performining for the camera?
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Either is ok, but it's always better to see how others are reacting to your performances.
Doug
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
You can check out the Pendulum set on Doug's site Bizarremagick.com The picture is under Little Shops of Horror. look for Rich Massey.
Good luck to all!

Magickman
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
Doug, I think you can ask around, perhaps you can transfer the files over to someone else who is capable to buring the videos on a CD. I suppose burning on a CD has several options, VCD, SVCD, or Data disc where you can just copy a AVI, RM, WMV etc file onto it.

Of coz I was assuming that the original clips come in a digital format.

Alternatively, if you have it on tape, I think you can find a video store that will be willing to convert it to a digital format for you... perhaps even directly burn it into a VCD for you.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Yikes seeing some sloppy performing may be the scariest part of the whole video! Great idea, though!
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
That's the whole thing though. It will be a learning experience for all of us. It's just for s and giggles. Your time to shine, share, or not do so good (which isn't a bad thing - you might get some much needed advice on how you can tighten it up a bit). Just remember, we as magicians are our own worst critics.
We're coming down to the wire. I'll let you know where we stand on Friday.
Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Are You Ready? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL