The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Free Stuff!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magickid1
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of magickid1
The first "charitable" show I ever did, I gave away for free. It was for a good cause. I had worked up one hell of an act. Lights, music, mic's, animals, costume, signage, backdrop, etc. I was going to take the magic world by storm. I was very well practiced, I have the "chops" I have the charisma and the character and the desire to truly entertain. Performing is everything to me. Capice?

Anyway, is was for a cancer-cure organization and they had children there who had lost their hair, people in wheelchairs, CEO's of companies, big money, advertisers, caterers, live music you name it.

The lady who booked me was very excited over the phone, she promised they would be there to assist me for the show, I told her my needs for floor space and electricity, she also told me I would get great EXPOSURE over this! The newspapers would be there! Photographers! It was all coming together.

To make a long story semi-short, when I got there, no one cared who I was or what I wanted. The nice lady came to me she was flustered and short with me, "We have you over here...you start at 2." Over here, was actually a corner in the back of the venue with 1/2 the floor space I requested and no electricity. When I tried to track her down about this she was M.I.A. I thought about packing it all up & going home but several of the kid's (the ones with cancer) had already told me they couldn't wait for the show. I set up best as I can, no music or mic and wait for 2:00. The hour comes and the band is playing loudly, people are all over the place, at the auction, at the buffet, at the inflatables, everywhere. No announcement is made for me, no one knew what time it was or what time I was even "on". I managed to coral a few kids and did a 10 minute shouting show (over the music) before I thanked them and told them maybe there would be more later. I knew there wouldn't be. I was beet-red as I packed up my boxes. I was so, angry I swore many things to myself that night that would NEVER happen again. I never got so much as a "thank you" from that lady or the organization. I found an email address thru their website to contact the administrator, I told them of all my woes...no response, until 4 months later that administrator emailed me to ask me to do a FREE show for a new event they had planned. Holy cow!

In contrast to this horror story, early in 2004 I booked a charitable event for the American Red Cross, I personally met with the manager of the event, secured the stage for the 45 minute block, required them to print up banners for the showtimes WITH my name on them, required them to find a sponsor for the event that paid me $225, insured there was power and generally took control of the situation as far as my show time was concerned.

The difference was ASTOUNDING. She respected me, and even GAVE me a person for the day to meet any requests or needs I had, they continuously announced my upcoming show on the mic, they printed my name & website (i did not ask for this) on all of the event program guides, they had banners announcing me, the show was the HIT of the night with nearly 800 in attendance, they verbally thanked me in front of the crowd, awarded me a certificate in front of the crowd, called me the next day to thank me, thanked me on their website and told me they would be using me in 2005. (and they did). Whoa!

If this didn't teach me, nothing would. I had at least 6 jobs later in 2004 as a direct result of the crowd, and name recognition by the emcee.

My area is full of cut-rate performers now, guys who do freebies, etc. They say it gets them EXPOSURE. Some calls I get from charitable events I tell them my requirements and the need for them to seek out a sponsor and they say, "No thanks, so & so will do it for FREE."

So I try and teach every magician this lesson, the exposure you get from doing a free show, will only get you requests for a free show. The same thing for cut-rate performances. Have you ever been to a grocery store, at the check out and the manager comes up and says, "Just take the food, it free. Just tell others about us, OK." Can you imagine that? If I did tell others, what do you think they would do when they went into that store? Find that manager! Bug him for some freebies! When you went to sign the lease for that new car, did they offer to cut the price in half if you'll tell your neighbors about them? When you had that water leak did the plumber offer a freebie? Does the bus driver let you slide on by the toll if you'll tell others about the bus line? Heck naw. if the bus driver won't let you slide by for $1.25 why on God's earth would WE give away all of our practice, sweat, investments, time, trouble and art to someone, for nothing???? Or even for 1/2 price?

Giving away shows:
1. Only invites more FREEBIES
2. Makes them LOSE respect for you as a person
3. Makes them lose respect for ALL magicians
4. Makes them lose respect for the art of MAGIC
5. Usually makes you do a semi-quality show (hey, it's free, right?)
6. Lowers YOUR perception of yourself
7. Makes YOU poor (of time and money and talent)
8. Makes other magicians in your area HATE you
9. Rarely ever gets you invited back
10 Rarely ever gets you praise (which is possibly why you did it, firstly)

Come on fellow magi, I only bring you this wisdom because I too have walked those dreaded steps. I am not condemning. I am sharing experience.

Bartering:
Another local magi barters everything! He does freebies for a restaurant gig if they'll feed him! Jeez! Why not just get a ratted up cardboard sign and stand on the corner of the freakin highway and offer to do Professor's Nightmare for a beer. Bartering is akin to freebies, in most situations. because usually the value of the bartered item does not compare to the cost of your performance. It cheapens you and in return cheapens ME and every other magi out there bustin their butts to EARN a living. Stop it! Stop it now!

Churches:
What about God? Shouldn't we give away our talents to the church? I don't know...does the pastor? A magician friend of mine spent a year touring churches for pay, ten of the churches claimed they didn't have his check (even though they had agreed to pay him) and that they would mail it. Three of the churches stiffed him. How does that make him feel about God and the church? I would pray about it, if God doesn't say "Give it to them free", then don't do it.

Preschools:
What the crap is going on here? More and more preschools in my area are telling me "no thanks, so & so does us for free." Really??? Do you magi's have ANY clue what those places charge the parents for a week's stay there? You would CHOKE if you knew what those schools pull in! And your giving away the product. Amazing.

Charities:
I've already spoken on them. Tell them, if they want to find a sponsor to pay you your fees, you'll happily perform for them. DO NOT offer them a cut rate or a freebie EVEN if you plan to turn over your WHOLE check to their charity. Several reasons here, they will RESPECT you more and help you more if they are paying you AND you can right off the cash donation, you CANNOT legally write off a show. really. Ask a true tax professional about that.

If you want to improve your show, improve your own self-image, improve your finances, improve your name recognition, improve the art of magic, improve your relationships with other magi, then...STOP GIVING AWAY THE STORE! PLEASE!

Disclaimer: this is only one opinion on the subject. Please feel free to add to this, agree to this, disagree to this, etc. But do NOT childishly flame! Thanks.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
You call that "making a long story short"

The bottom line is charities are made up of volunteers who don't care about anyone, and do not appreciate anything, which is why the only people I will do a free show for are the old folk, who love the little attention they get, and always come up to me after a show to thank me for coming.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magickid1
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of magickid1
Sorry for the long story Al!

Let me clarify something I should have before. If I personally want to go up to the non-profit state-run retirement home and put on a show for them for nothing, that's my perogative. But I will say that this, I take an EXTRA careful step to tell the activity director to not EVER let that out of her lips and that if she gets calls from local magi's wanting to perform, she needs to hire one now and then.

We must have professional coutesy for our fellow magi who cannot afford to do free shows and have real live kids at home expecting dinner. Many times when give something away, we are only taking away from someone else. This gets into the whole welfare debate...save that post for another day.
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
716 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Absolutely agree with everything you have to say. Sadly, I've been there, done that, NOT doing it tomorrow.

I've been used to many times to make this mistake again. And, if I do feel strongly about an organization or a cause, that I want to do a free show, I have them donate the full amount the show would cost to a charity of my choice. The only other people I ever would consider doing free shows for would be my son's school (it's a private school that requires you volunteer at some point during the year, putting into X amount of hours, the show fulfills my obligation).

I made many of the same mistakes, and learned to check the venue, make sure they're doing things MY way, and make sure that payment is received IMMEDIATELY AFTER SERVICES ARE RENDERED. I also get a deposit.

The more professional you are, the more professional you're treated. And, professionals get paid! On top of that, if they're paying you then you can be sure that they'll want a great show, and will do anything to help ensure that that's what they get.

Again, a motto I've learned to live by: THE MORE PROFESSIONAL YOU ARE, THE MORE PROFESSIONAL YOU'LL BE TREATED.

--Jon
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
We've all been there. Everyone has a tale to tell. This one isn't mine. It's just the best summing up I've ever heard. This an old and highly respected Punch & Judy man, who made my figures.

Listen to Fred Tickner. Remember, he was 91 years old when he told this:

"An old chap said to me years ago, he said

'When you do a show, never say "Nothing." If you say "Nothing" that is the value they'll put on your show.' He says, 'Always charge them something.'

Of course I didn't listen, I was working locally.They came to me one day: 'Would you do a show for Dr. Barnados Home?'

'Yes, certainly.'

I thought, 'Well,i don't want to charge them for a taxi, I think I could get there on the bus,' and I got there to this hall.

They had all the kids dressed up in lovely party dresses, mothers there, all lit up and festooned and food and everything. Well, what this was, these kids had a [collecting] box in their house for Dr Barnardos Homes and they came round and emptied them, so they gave the kids a treat. Well, why should they want a treat to teach them to do that?

Anyhow, when I did the show they didn't give me a cup of tea, they didn't say, "Thank you very much." They didn't say a thing. I found my way out of the building, and I stood opposite waiting for my bus in the pouring rain, and there were mothers and fathers coming up in their cars and going round and round and driving them all home like that. And I never had a postcard from them or anything to say 'thank you.'

Never do a show for nothing."

And that's as true today as it was then.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Lewis Carroll
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Lewis Carroll
Here, here Tony. In fact I'll go into my garden and shout "here here" and if the wind blows in the right direction you may hear it!

When our youngest was 3 we did a "free" show at Christmas for his playgroup. Took loads of stuff - Magic, Puppets, Balloon for each child. The following year I was taking the dogs for a walk in between a very busy Christmas schedule, and passed the little Club where the group was held. Out came a magician in a floppy bow tie and black dinner suit just carrying one case, and off he dashed in his car down the lane. They'd not even phoned us to see if we could do it (you know the one on Brown's Lane).

'cat'.
Gerto
View Profile
New user
Belgium
80 Posts

Profile of Gerto
Some horrible stories here. Then, what'd you all suggest for someone doing a first show?

Also, I'd be ashamed to charge for a show for charity.
Hello there! Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Gerto
They are looking for a suc, I mean volunteer like you. I like the old folks, surely there are old folk homes that never get any entertainment, and they are the ones that will appreciate you most. It is also a place where you can be bad, and no one will care. My mother-in-law lives in a home that has a $75 a month entertainment budget, they only ever get accordian players there, so you will not be under cutting another magician, and if you are really good they will stay awake for the whole show.
Al Angello
magickid1
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of magickid1
Hi Gerto,
It certainly wasn't my first show, it was my first Charity Show.

You bring up two good points though.

First Shows:
No matter if you are 12 doing your first "show" or 45 doing your first show you should charge something. Like the old man said above, When you do a show, never say "Nothing." If you say "Nothing" that is the value they'll put on your show.' He says, 'Always charge them something.'

Charging a Charity:
It does sound cold doesn't it? Most of us magi's by nature are giving people, we are receptive to other's feelings and we are high spirited ourselves. I know I am, I give a lot to charities, but if it as the sake of my fellow magi, then I am only helping one to harm another! It's like an animal activist trying to decide if he should save the hungry lion by feeding him the little lamb? You must ask yourself what is your purpose for helping the charity? Is it to help them raise money to find a cure or to clothe the cold or to feed the poor or to home the homeless, what are you there for?

A magic show in of itself will not solve any of the problems of the world friend. But if a magic show will help attract attention to a problem, thus bringing in much needed donations, etc. then the charity must be convinced of the power of having that entertainment there. High dollar affairs for charity take place all over the world each day, last year's Apprentice Show paid a comic full price, mind you, to come out and entertain for a good cause, it helped raise money and awareness.

In other words, my being at that first charity for FREE didn't mount to a hill of beans, the one I got PAID for helped the charity SO much, and helped me so much that I have personally donated much more to them from my own finances. Everybody wins.

So while I understand your feelings, and have had them myself, put some thought into how you can better help the charity. Perhaps you could get "pledges" from local business' to pay X amount for each miracle you pull off that night. Then the pledges go to the charity. it would also become fun for the crowd to know about this. BUT, make the charity get all the supplies and printed work needed, make them send out the staff, etc. Make them invest in YOU, the way you invest into them and you will have a real and working relationship.

Besides, most charities know they will spend a little green to put on a good event. A friend of mine worked March of Dimes...for free...and walked around the event talking to each performer there. Everyone one of them was paid except him. He will no longer work for them. But it's not their fault, it was his!

Take care.
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
I agree.

I've mentioned on here before that one of my fellow entertainers donates free shows all year to a local school for disabled children, but come Christmas time when they have a budget to spend on entertainment it is me they hire to perform - and they pay well.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Kimmo
You have hit upon the irony of it all. If it's free it can't be any good, or as a friend of mine told me long ago you are worth exactly what you get paid.
Al Angello
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
One of my local stores (okay, it's "Goodys Clothing", headquarted in Knoxville, as I remember it) always has an annual event for "fun and fund raising". They'll call and inquire about ballooning for 'em. When we get around to price, they always say, "we were looking for someone to donate their time, it would be great exposure in the media". I then ask (it's usually the manager), "will you be getting paid that day?". They'll invariably answer a RESOUNDING, YES! I tell them that my time, trouble and product (the cost of the balloons) are worth something, as well, and if they're being paid, others should, too. I know, I've been paid to do two of their grand openings over the years by the headquarters. I'm guessing they get more money for a bonus with the more money they don't spend.

It's their loss.

Steve
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
I do have mixed feelings on "FREE" magic shows. A couple of years ago I was asked to perform two shows for young pre-school children in Head Start. This program is for low-income families and they don't get much federal money for extras. My wife and I spent a good part of our day on this. They didn't have electricity for us as requested and it was outside and very windy. We never got any thank you letters or any future business from the shows. We did get one thing that money can't buy and that's was the joy it brought to some young children. We don't do a lot of free shows but when we do the only thing we hope for is to make children happy. If you go into doing a free show and not expecting anything, you won't be disappointed. A smile on a young child's face is PRICELESS!
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
The more you work for peanuts, the more monkeys you will attract.
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Quote:
On 2007-03-07 12:30, jondark445 wrote:

that I want to do a free show, I have them donate the full amount the show would cost to a charity of my choice.

This is a suggestion I have seen before and like.

Although to some people that feel that charity shows should be free this will not make it right but understand many charity CEOs make just as much as retail CEOs or other business executives. Are they giving up their pay?

There are various ways to give to the charity without giving a show for free (such as what Jon said above.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I think every entertainer will have had the same experiences, Go along for free, treated like dirt, get paid treated with respect.

When this was discussed before didn't one guy post that he sends them a questionare asking stuff like:-

IS ALL THE PROFIT FROM EVERYTHING AT THE EVENT GOING TO THE CHARITY?

IS ANYONE GETTING PAID IN ANY FORM FOR ANY SERVICE THEY PROVIDE FOR THE EVENT?

I seem to recall it also said something like IF I AGREE TO DO THE SHOW FOR FREE, YOU AGREE THAT IF I FIND ANYONE AT THE EVENT IS GETTING PAID THEN YOU WILL PAY ME MY FULL NORMAL FEE.

I think it may have been aimed more at the old Pub charity night thing, where the landlord would hold a fund raising event, get people to donate stuff for free, but still line his pockets with the bar extra bar profits raise by the increase custom the event attracted.

However there's nothing worse than donating a show, only to find every other act, and the guy supplying the PA is getting paid.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
I never do shows for free, especially for charitable event! They can always find a sponsor, ALWAYS, if they want you badly enough. If they don't want to, it's NEVER worth it.
I agree with Rick, the more you're willing to work for peanuts, the more monkey's you'll attract!
I also learned the hard way on this...if you don't charge, you don't get respect. It's a mindset. Remember, clients guage how good you are often on how much you charge!
Best,
Chris
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
My dad who was a real ham and egger gave me advice when I was a musician about free shows that I carry with me to this day. If you are working for an organization that you truly believe in and want to do the show for free still charge them something. Call it an honorarium if it is less than your usual price. Then after the show sign the check back over to the charitable cause. This does three things.

1. It affords you the respect you deserve when you show up as a paid entertainer. If you act like a pro, they will treat you like a pro, especially if they are paying you!

2. When you give the check back to the organization you have now made a true charitable donation to the organization and for tax purposes this is wonderful.

3. when you give the check back if there is any press around THAT is what will get you the exposure. Doing the show for free the press could care less about BUT a guy who signs his check over to the organization has just created a wonderful photo op.

My dad was a pretty sharp guy in this way. I remember when I was a kid one of his pals was booked to work a big national "telethon" in Vegas for a charitable organization. He told his buddy to ask for a $50,000 "honorarium" that he would give back to the organization. The guy thought my dad was barking mad, but did it anyway and this guy worked that telethon every year for about 10 years running. the guy said the tax benefits and bookings bought him his first home.

I agree with everything that has been said above by Tony, magic kid, and the rest, but if you truly want to do it for free this would be the way to do it and still have the benefits of working a paid engagement.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I only do a free show if they allow me to video the performance and use the footage on the website / in the promo dvds.

Most of you know how hard it is to get permission to use show footage which has children in it (legally), only when this permission is granted (in writing before the date) will I do a free booking, because I know the video will be worth more to me than the paycheck in the longrun.

Steve
magickid1
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of magickid1
Steve,

You make a good point, depending on the show details, but over here we have to have a signature from each gaurdian, not just one signature. Is that how you worked it?

Does anyone know legal details of this is the states? I heard you need permission from each gaurdian, but then I was on vaca last year and we went into an area that was being "live broadcast on the web" and it had a sign up that basically said, if you don't want to be seen on camera, do not enter this area. Does anyone know if that is sufficient enough legally to warrant recording a show with volunteer faces, etc., just having one or two general signs up?

Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Free Stuff!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL