The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Free Stuff!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
When I performed stand-up (in the 80's and 90's), I occasionally did freebies in hospitals. They were some of the most rewarding shows I've ever done. I agree with Mr. Mike on this one. I feel that as long as you make a good living with your paid gigs, doing a good deed, or "mitzvah", as they say, comes back to you in spades. At Sloan-Kettering cancer ward in NYC, I performced in front what was perhaps the most appreciative crowd ever. Sure, there will be the occasional gig from hell, but on the whole, the spiritual payback is worth the few heartaches. And there's no reason it should affect your price. The guys at the top (at least in comedy) do tons of shows for charity.
magickid1
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of magickid1
The self-reward for a charitable cause is a great feeling!

My original post was not about that though. It's about how to make it successful. To actually help the charity out in a more profitable way. You have to determine if your doing it to give yourself a warm and fuzzy feeling (which is fine) or if you want to immediately command the oranizer's respect and be able to successfully control your show to better help the cause. It's not about saying no to a charity, it's about showing them how to things a better way. No one here denies the great self-reward of giving to others.
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
I have an upcoming school assembly show in May. I am doing it for free in the sense that the school is not paying me anything. They are however copying and handing out fliers I made up to support the later after school show.

I am doing an after school fund raising event for the local PTO (Parent Teacher Org) from which I will receive my percentage of ticket sales. The school assembly show is being done for free by me encourage students to want to attend the after school "for pay" event.

I am taking what you have said to heart and will try to coordinate the space and power needs in advance. This is a local school and I will be in a position to coordinate this well in advance.

I have said to the Principle that I normally charge for shows but will donate my time in exchange for the publicity for the after school show AND for the right to hand out party magic advertisements at the school (to generate party business in this area)

Do you feel that I am in danger of the "it's for free so who cares" attitude you guys have experienced? I know they do not have funds available for entertainment for the remainder of this school year. All their allowable money has been scheduled.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Hi Rick,

Not all people after freebies are like the ones we've all experienced, some really do appreciate what you're doing for them. If you know the people at the school well, and they know you, you may find they are going to be really good to you on the night. However you never know until you get there.

What you could do is send in a letter confirming you are coming and put your fee on it, just like your normal confirmation letter/contract. Then make up a free show voucher for the school which in return for the publicity etc will cover the cost of the show. Enclose that with the letter and that way they will see what monetary value you are saving them.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Performing for free is a good way to establish yourself as an amatuer so that the organization can use their money to hire a professional magician next time. Working without pay is a no win situation. There is always somebody out there, who's kid you didn't use, who is going to say that they have seen better shows and next time lets get a real professional even if we have to pay him.
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Quote:
On 2007-03-10 23:45, Habu wrote:

I have an upcoming school assembly show in May. I am doing it for free in the sense that the school is not paying me anything. They are however copying and handing out fliers I made up to support the later after school show.

I am doing an after school fund raising event for the local PTO (Parent Teacher Org) from which I will receive my percentage of ticket sales. The school assembly show is being done for free by me encourage students to want to attend the after school "for pay" event.

I am taking what you have said to heart and will try to coordinate the space and power needs in advance. This is a local school and I will be in a position to coordinate this well in advance.

I have said to the Principle that I normally charge for shows but will donate my time in exchange for the publicity for the after school show AND for the right to hand out party magic advertisements at the school (to generate party business in this area)

Do you feel that I am in danger of the "it's for free so who cares" attitude you guys have experienced? I know they do not have funds available for entertainment for the remainder of this school year. All their allowable money has been scheduled.

I don't think you are really doing the first show for "free" per say. You are trading print materials and advertising in exchange for a show that you will be paid later the same day.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Another thing to remember that if you perform for free or if you charge the charity a fee, always make sure to use a contract and have them sign off on it. It is amazing how people will start taking you more seriously when they physically have to sign a contractual agreement ahead of time.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Quote:
On 2007-03-11 04:18, Emazdad wrote:
Hi Rick,

What you could do is send in a letter confirming you are coming and put your fee on it, just like your normal confirmation letter/contract. Then make up a free show voucher for the school which in return for the publicity etc will cover the cost of the show. Enclose that with the letter and that way they will see what monetary value you are saving them.

I like this idea, thanks. That way they see the value of the show that they would have had to have shelled out, and will have to next time around.

In this particular case it's the PTO who are the more likely repeat customer, who is not paying me directly, but is paying by percentage of sales. They are also associated with 3 other PTO's for Preschool - Kindergarten, Day Care, and the lower middle school 5th - 6th. So I am hoping this will develop into 4 shows per year for this one area.

The way I approached them was that my fee for the show would be as a set fee and a smaller percentage of the sales of the first 500 tickets, or as a higher percentage of all ticket sales.

Knowing how many tickets they have sold for other events I stand to make considerably more money on straight ticket sales percentage. Plus they feel there is less risk and no out of pocket other than advertising which they would have had to do anyway for any event.

In this particular case: There has not been a magician perform for them that they can recall in the past 15 years at least. They have to travel to larger cities (1 hour away) to see professional performance entertainment of any type. There just aren't any magicians in this area...goody for me!

Posted: Mar 11, 2007 10:33am
-----------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2007-03-11 10:28, magic4u02 wrote:
Another thing to remember that if you perform for free or if you charge the charity a fee, always make sure to use a contract and have them sign off on it. It is amazing how people will start taking you more seriously when they physically have to sign a contractual agreement ahead of time.

Kyle

D'Oh, you snuck one in while I was typing, and of course it's a gem.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
A lot of clients will judge you by your price. They will think the less you charge, the more cheaper you are. When they see how professional you performed, they will look at you as a kind-hearted person or a magician in their control.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Magickid, what a GREAT story! Everyone should read this! While I think that the occasional free show is not out of line, I think for the most part everything you say is DEAD ON RIGHT!

As for Danny Hustle's comment, "When you give the check back to the organization you have now made a true charitable donation to the organization and for tax purposes this is wonderful." I don't see what's wonderful atll -- it's a "wash." There is absolutely no tax benefit there. It's thesame as doing it for free, since you have to report the $250 fee, then deduct the $250 donation. you're just making more paperwork for yourself.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
You'd be surprised the number of pros who do exactly as Danny suggests. Whether they gain the maximum publicity from it, or you do, or you both do or neither of you does, is another matter.

But it's a well used professional ploy. It puts a value on your services.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
But Danny said "...for tax purposes this is wonderful."

How is it "wonderful" for tax purposes? It makes no sense. There's no advantage.
magickid1
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of magickid1
It's considered a charitable donation so long as it's a non-profit organization.
If you give them the $250, that gives you approximately a $15-$30 tax credit.
That $15 will come back to you at the end of the year in the form of a refund.
It doesn't affect the charity at all, it only helps your bottom line.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Ah, but if you claim the $250 for the show, you will pay about $15 - $30 in taxes.
So when the tax credit comes, isn't it a wash? I think Starpower is right there.

Of course there are other, better reasons for doing this.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Of course, after your freebie show, you could always sell stuff with a "portion" of profits going to the charity. That way, you are still making a donation (which is totally deductable) yet it is not coming out of your pocket. Additionally, you are making a small profit. And you reap the benefits (if any) of the public appearance.
AndyComic
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of AndyComic
Been there done that ! I have a strict policy:
1. Two charity shows a year.
2. I make sure NO ONE else is getting paid. Geez...had a few where they cry poor and ask you to work for free and then find out other people got paid because they insisted on it.
3. My fee is never dis-closed. Nothing worse than a client saying 'Oh we got this guy who was free'.

Now I usually approach charities rather than them ask me.

You never hear of surgeons or lawyers being asked to work for free.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Quote:
You never hear of surgeons or lawyers being asked to work for free.

Erm, yes you do. You get given a lawyer if you can't afford one when your arrested, and over here in Britain, most surgery is covered under the NHS. Which means we don't have to pay for them.

But I get your point.

Whenever I do a 'free' show, it costs me because I cannot take on work that would be paying me. If I'm already booked in the diary to do a free show, then that time-slot is no-longer available for paid work.
I have a free show scheduled next month, but I offered it because I know it will be helpful to me later on in the month, and I plan to video the performance for the next magic DVD.
The best thing to do when performing a free show is make sure nobody else knows that. If they all think you are being paid, and you act as though you are being paid, then you get more respect.
All those problems discussed in the first posts would be the same at a paying venue, since the organiser was simply no-good.

None of the audience knew you were there for free, and as long as you keep it that way, you will only have the normal problem associated with a performance.

Steve
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Steve, without wishing to split hairs lawers who are paid out of government legal aid funding and doctors employed by the NHS, both providing services free at the point of use, is not quite the same thing as being asked to do a freebie.

How you tackle these requests is down to the individual.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I don't have much hair left to split.

All these children's shows are so stressful, its been falling out for years!

Steve
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
A fellow magician once told me never, ever charge less than half your normal rate unless it's for a charity or something you really care about, and even then you better think twice before making a decision.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Free Stuff!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL