The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Stretching a rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
wadodaw
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of wadodaw
Does anyone know of good methods out there to visually stretch a rope?

I know two m****ts can be used to do this, but are there ways so that the rope can be thrown out to be examined either at the beginning or end or both?

Thanks,
Daniel
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
Professor's Nightmare.

Regan
Mister Mystery
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Besides PN, Daryl's Expert Rope Magic Made Easy and Flip's Truly Magical Rope Magic both have methods to accomplish the apparent stretching of a rope. They have their limitations in terms of how examinable the rope is.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2432 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Yes. basic magic books (at library or bookstore) contain this effect and secret. ungimmicked rope

s
wadodaw
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of wadodaw
Thanks regan for the quick reply but I probably should have been clearer. I'm thinking outside of a PN scenario, where the effect is not just a rearrangement of rope length, but actually "stretching" a rope to get new rope there that wasn't before. if it's done holding (at least apparently) only one rope so much the better. I'm sure people have published methods for this or even sell gimmicked versions, but I haven't found any.
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Wadodaw, the two sources I pointed to address this.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
wadodaw
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of wadodaw
Thanks erlandish, I'll look to those dvd's.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2432 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
I was alittle unclear. by "this trick" I mean walking on stage holding a short rope and pulling on the ends, stretching it into a much longer rope.

s
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
Why not walk onto the stage with empty hands.

Many years ago I created an introduction to my rope routine inspired by "the basic textbook" method of stretchin an ungimmicked rope. (That means: you hide the extra nescesary rope exactly where most people think most magicians hide most things!). I started with empty hands (the two ends of the long hidden rope kept in place under my wristwatch). From a tophat I took with my left hand a pack of cigarettes with two cigarettes "protuding" (really the two short ends of the long rope behind the pack). I am not allowed to go into details here. But it should be obviuos to all magicians with a few books on the shelf how you could pull the two "cigarettes" out of the closede left fist in opposite directions until it is clear to everyone, that it is not two cigarettes, but a rope becoming longer and longer.
One important note: After all of the rope has been pulled out from "you know", turn the left fist (still gripping the rope) showing the audience the fingers and continue "pulling" rope out from both sides of the left fist with the right hand. Same technique as pulling an "endless loop" of rope through your hands (which I didn't know at that time). That is the convincer.
Then continue with your rope routine.
It is all about acting.

Trolle
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Yes..Ali Bongo Has a way in his lecture but his routine is so convincing that you have no need to give it out at the end they examine it at the beginning.I kill with it an have fried many Magi..Cordially,Howard P.S willam Wallace is a genuis
wadodaw
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of wadodaw
Thanks Trolle! The cigarette idea sounds like a great addition to that method.

Graywolf, this routine sounds intriguing, do you know where to buy a copy of Ali Bongo's lecture notes? I see Hank Lee, Denny and Lee (maybe a few other Lee's as well?) sell "The Bongo Book" for $7.50, which contains the effect "One Rope Baffling Bangle." Is that the rope stretching routine you're referring to?

Thanks, Daniel

Also, I see that there's some stretching rope material in Ronald Dayton's book Ropes with a Different Twist, $22.00. I haven't bought it (yet...) but these are supposedly original effects so maybe it'd be worth checking out.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2223 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Yes, the Dayton traveling coil system found in "Hung Up On Ropes" available from Tannens
wadodaw
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of wadodaw
Cool, I'll check it out.
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
It was years ago I learned it at the lecture..Howard
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
"Now You See It, Now You Don't" by Bill Tarr. The rope can be inspected after it is stretched.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1929 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I think Flips method is very nice. Starting with a 12"-18" piece and ending up with, well, whatever length you want. Wouldn't take much to then toss it out to the audience.

Erlandish pointed to the DVD where it can be found.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
wadodaw
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of wadodaw
Thanks Josh, Flip's is going to be my next dvd buy b/c of that.

Thanks also Manal, I do know the Bill Tarr method but I was looking for the ways other pros have done this effect, besides the basic method he uses.

As I buy the various books/dvds suggested here I'll post a response, in case anyone else might be interested. Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2594 Posts

Profile of John Long
I've not done any of these, but here are a few from my favorite source.

Winston Freer's Alagen Rope(Enc of Rope Tricks): a 3' length is stretched to 6' and can be immediately handed out

Lambie's Perfect Rope Stretch (ibid)
Sellers A Different Stretching Rope (ibid)
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6439 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I like the "Optical Illusion" rope stretch (my name for it). You show a jar that is painted on one side and transparent on the other. From the jar you pull out an 18 inch length of rope. Sticking one end of the rope into the jar, and turning the jar so the opaque side is towards the audience, you stroke the rope towards the jar, making an illusion that the rope is stretching and going into the jar. Then you laugh and turn the jar around, showing the audience how the illusion makes it seem as if the rope is stretching, but the rope, of course, stays the same length all the time. You then rotate the jar back to the opaque side and show the audience how real that illusion can seem if they don't know the "secret." But this time you rotate the jar back to the clear side and they can see that the rope has really stretched to ten or twelve feet as you draw it back out of the jar. You can then label the jar "TIPS" and use the rope for a cut and restored follow up trick, generating a lot of tips for the jar.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Doctor D
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Joshua Jay has a visual stretching of a rope (an ideal rope opener) on one of his DVD's. Examinability is not an issue here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Stretching a rope (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL