The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » My classic palm. I'm doomed! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paradic Arsonist
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Paradic Arsonist
hey all!
I'm just starting with coins. I can do most of the vanishes, fake transfers, and a few palms. However, when it comes to my classic palm, I get the whole spider hand thing. Can anyone give me any tips? Smile
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Go to Dan Watkins site coinvanish.com. He has the best instructions on the classic palm I've ever seen...and that includes Bobo's book.

For about a year and a 1/2 I was palming the coin toward the center of my palm giving me the cramped hand look. After reading Dan's essay, I made the correction, and after some practice, I can easily palm a coin and it even feels much more comfortable now.

Dan is the Man!

Rich B.
Paradic Arsonist
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Rich B,
I've checked out Dan's site. Compliments to Dan for it too. Brilliant site. However, even with his instructions, I fail. I can't manage to just squeeze the muscles together without moving my fingers into the spider shape.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Try starting out with a twist-off bottle cap. They are one of the easist items in the world to classic palm because of their jagged edges. Use that to let your hand get used to the feeling then migrate to coins after a week or so.
Click to visit:
Isramagia
View Profile
Regular user
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
114 Posts

Profile of Isramagia
The late, great Gary Ouellet in his book, "Close Up Illusions", states that the ability to classic palm something is related to the physical structure of the hands and some magicians can practice "until a hen grows fur and will never be able to convincingly classic palm anything".
I don't know if I completely agree but that did motivate me to practice and palm any objects during my everyday activities. I do believe that after some years of practice, you can have a decent and convincing classic palm. Smile
Izzy
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I am new to coin magic as well. When I started on my classic palm a few months ago, Dan Watkins site corrected my spider blunders. Still, I found it much easier to palm quarters than half dollars.

I have been working my half dollars and now have reasonable success as long as my hands aren't too dry. Every month, I notice a big improvement. I believe that there are some muscles at play here that need to develop. Be sure to have a coin in your hands for at least a couple of hours every day.

Good Luck
Magic is fun!!!
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
It sounds like you're on the right track. However, you might want to check out Reed McClintock's lecture (DVD to come) or see his website for contact info. He's teaching a brand new way to learn the classic palm, and some people swear by it. It makes sense to me.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Is this Lecture going to have his International 3 fly routine?

Lee
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
I don't believe that you can ever fully get rid of the "spider" look, but then, the audience hopefully will never notice if you apply proper misdirection. Smile

The only other thing I can say is hold it gently. This will help reduce the spider hand look and get rid of the tell-tale circle on your palm. Smile Finally, hold something else(ala David Roth's "wand"), point at something, or use the **** (can't remember name) subtely. This will help to minimize the cramped look. Smile
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Dark has a good point. One detail that I frequently forget to mention is that the coin is not held in a "grip of death". David Roth teaches that if you pat the back of your hand and the coin DOESN'T fall out, you're palming too tightly. Overpalming tends to cause the "spider" to appear.

Lee, I don't know for sure what's in Reed's current lecture. I'm sure he'll include I3Fly if you ask. He's got notes on the routine. Also, there will be a DVD with it. I've seen it, and it is way cool.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
603 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
For me the classic palm is a transitional palm, meaning that I never keep the coin in classic palm position for too long and then move it to the more comfortable and natural looking finger palm.

This allows the hand to look natural in CP position because I don't need to hold it there for a prolonged period ...
Danny
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Yah.... I want a 3fly routine. I can't think of the solution with out having 5 coins. I just can't wait for the DVD. Reed can you give us some information.

Lee
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
Thank you for asking about i3fly. I have it available in manuscript form. It will be on a dvd that Magicsmith will be releasing in the future. don't worry it only uses four coins and is not hard at all. Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Hey gang,
I know the feeling. It took me two years to nail my classic palm. No spiders here. Seriously. I have two classics(I learned it wrong the first time) one I use my ring finger and pinkie. This puts the coin further pack in the palm. When I do this, I can spread very far and natural. One detail is the pinky. If it is held lower while palming, that looks suspicious, so I have a tendency of slieghtly lifting my pinky when I classic. This really helps "sell" the sleight. Check it out yourself. Like Curtis said, you can palm too tightly, lift your pinky while palming if the coins falls, your not applying enough pressure,but at the same time you do not want it tence. Make it look natural for you and you alone. Good Luck
-Lee. Smile
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Paradic Arsonist
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

thanks for all your help guys. one more question.. So this practice could take me a couple of years to learn? well.. that's a bit of a downer.. never the less i'll stick at it! thanks again!

-Andy Smile
bilz
View Profile
New user
Cornwall, UK
88 Posts

Profile of bilz
Had to post this - last night for the first time ever since starting to learn coin magic around 6 months ago I noticed that I could hold my right hand naturally at my side with a coin (English new 10 pence) classic palmed and it looked the same as my left empty hand - I could actually relax my hand completely and the coin stayed put!

The last few weeks I've had a coin in my hand palmed one way or another pretty much all the time and it really is working!

Just keep practising - it really works

Bilz

btw - my laft hand is still pretty useless Smile
Learn as if you would live forever...
...live as if you would die tomorrow.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I came up with a solution to a i3f and it uses 4 coins but 2 gaffs. Can't wait for the DVD, Timing is one of my favorite coin effects ever.

Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » My classic palm. I'm doomed! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL