The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Question about Rand Woodbury's videos? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1970 Posts

Profile of The Mac
I am looking into buying these videos and wanted to find out how up to date the info inside is? I mean the black with silver stripe box base stuff is a bit dated when compared to say Copperfields voyeur base,snow base etc.Does it cover theory of different bases?
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
533 Posts

Profile of RSD
The videos just go through the traditional bases and stairs. Some of Rand's illusions which use the afformentioned are also in it.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
MacGyver,
You're right. Most of the stuff on his videos is quite outdated! Back in the 70's or 80's, it was cutting edge though! He really doesn't go into depth about the designs you're talking about. It think there's a new book that covers more modern illusion design, it's a new one but I can't remember the name.
Anyway, the videos are very, very basic, offering an introductory look at building basic deceptive bases, etc.
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1970 Posts

Profile of The Mac
In that case I'm thankful I asked.

You mention a book with more modern design techniques..thought of it yet?

I am looking to build modern (1997 upwards) style bases and stairs.
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
The designs in deceptive stairs really has not changed too much just the materials and the look.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I don't think the lessons learned in the videos are outdated. I recommend them to anyone interested in learning about building bases.

Best,

Tim
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I agree with Tim. Don't confuse the decoration of the bases with the sound construction and design.

Thanks,
Richard
Mattillusion
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
A good review of these DVDs just went up on Online Visions (a great resource!):

http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0703illusionworks.html
aquamage
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of aquamage
I agree with Tim also. The tapes are a really good resource if you have never built bases before. Also, though the designs may be considered dated by some, the optic principals are still sound and work just as well as they always did. You can learn a lot from these sources
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Question about Rand Woodbury's videos? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL