The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Hydrick, James (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
itsreallyquiet
View Profile
New user
Bay Area CA
19 Posts

Profile of itsreallyquiet
I've skimmed around checking out some of the James Hydrick posts on here, mostly finding info on him and not his actual technique. I was wondering if anyone could point me to some information on how one would go about developing his style of 'page turning'
maybe there is another thread somewhere but I haven't been using the right search words or something...

thanks

itsreallyquiet
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Itsreallyquiet - if it's still in print, I believe you can find information in:

"Powers: Testing the Psychic and Supernatural" by Danny Korem

Hope that helps. - Scott
itsreallyquiet
View Profile
New user
Bay Area CA
19 Posts

Thanks sgrossberg. I appreciate the response. I'm checking out Korem's site right now. Maybe I wasn't totally clear. I know what he's doing but I'm interested in how to make it less obvious. Is that such a totally n00b question? I realize there isn't some gimmick but I'd still be interested in finding out how one goes about developing the technique. I've watched him on youtube a couple times and he's pretty convincing.

I Just thought that might make a fun skill to learn and maybe use to enhance my routine, along the lines of electric touch or something, I wouldn't make my entire routine around it, just use it for an extra touch. I'm also of the totally bizarre opinion apparently that rarely does an effect itself suck, it's usually just the presentation/presenter, Or maybe a friendlier way of saying it is that a really simple base technique with enough showmanship can be pretty convincing. Kind of like 'just' bending spoons, or 'just' pencil reading or something.

itsreallyquiet
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
I believe the Korem book provides an interview with Hydrick wherein he explains how he developed his technique which should give you some insights. As a side note, I did a gig for John Davidson shortly after the Hydrick appearance on "That's Incredible." I seem to recall a lot of buzz about John hearing Hydrick's technique and the director or line producer choosing to edit the sound on the show. It's been quite a few years so I'm sure there is more accurate info on the web or in Korem's book. Hope that helps. - Scott
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
I think that you can find a clip of James Hydrick performing on Youtube. He performs and then Randi enters and subsequently debunks the performance.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Yup, we had that. Check out the clips
http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=7......=hydrick <- busted by Randi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKlbt-L8HU <- on the last attempt to move the pencil, his lips are sealed by the hands of one of the guests of the show. nice convincer.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Hydrick was using his tricks to get people to worship him as a guru of sorts. He was a dangerous person.

He was in a mental institution for a good portion of his youth and he wasn't mentally challenged at all. He had a very high I.Q.

I really don't think you could do his page trick anyway. Try it, it is almost impossible to not make a huge noise.

The real source for this trick is Karl Fulves Chronologue. Great book, lots of psychic magic.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He wasn't dangerous, he was just a wack job who was looking for attention. I am not sure he ever wanted the guru thing as much as everyone to look at him.

He was nutty, and a criminal needless to say, as he did time. Some times I think it is fun to have nut jobs arround. They do make life interesting.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Richie Dagger
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson, AZ
267 Posts

Profile of Richie Dagger
As for the page ********, I've used it. I don't appreciate the exposure, no matter if it's available elsewhere. No reason to make it any easier. Besides, your time is better spent worshiping me as I kick basketball rims set at 3'
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 11:26, sgrossberg wrote:
Itsreallyquiet - All kidding aside, if it's still in print, I believe you can find information in:
"Powers: Testing the Psychic and Supernatural" by Danny Korem
Hope that helps. - Scott

Great book
TJ
itsreallyquiet
View Profile
New user
Bay Area CA
19 Posts

I do believe that Randi did the right thing by exposing him. Making sure that it's well understood that hydrick uses 'tricks' is/was important to changing the public opinion about psychics etc. which I believe personally is more important than being able to use the technique in your routine.
I do agree that hydrick didn't really seem like the 'cult leader' personality they were trying to pin him with in the media, but the fact remains that he was convincing a great many people in the u.s. and abroad that psychic mind powers were a reality, making large amounts of money on peoples gullibility, and spreading pseduoscientific dangerous information.

when a national t.v. show highlights a trickster like that they are doing a great disservice to all of us by lending credibility to these crooks, especially when you consider the amount of hopeful laypeople who want to find an alternate belief to accepting reality.

I think the good done by debunking hydrick way outdid the possibile damage of exposing some mentalists or magicians technique. but that's just me.
not to mention the fact that loads of us still use spoon bending, seance routines, cold reading etc in our acts, manage to fool audiences routinely, despite the fact that the information on this stuff is widely published.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Wow, still a hot topic.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Tony, you really think it is the topic or the person?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Neither, it is the posters.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My bad.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

No, it was a good question.

The topic is old, it has been discussed before.

The person has not changed, (although he was here on the Café a year or so ago).

So if all this has been said before, it is all in existing threads on the Café, James has not done anything that we are aware of since the old threads, it must be issues with the people posting here that keeps resurrecting this topic and saying the same thing every couple of months.

You're continuing a fraud by exposing a false method, a false method concocted by Hydrick to give him more credit than he deserved.

Tony
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Tony,
Well said, as always.

j.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
The unthinking believe in Randi however they consider themselfs deap thinkers becouse they do.

I bet they all have a taste for poison Cool-Aid.

J ack

H.O.A-X

Click here to view attached image.
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Richie Dagger
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson, AZ
267 Posts

Profile of Richie Dagger
Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Isn't it amazing how Randi's detracters can manage to turn ANY conversation to him?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Hydrick, James (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL