The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Phantom of the Opera help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
115 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
I have been asked to help with the illusions in a spoof of the Phantom of the Opera at a local theater here in Salt Lake. In order to do that, I was trying to remember what illusions were used in the play. I saw the play In salt Lake years ago and I remember the Dekolta chair and the one where Christine walks into the mirror to join the phantom. What is that illusion called and were there other illusions used other than the 2 I mentioned?

Thanks for your help,
Bruce
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
Sir Pat-Trick
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
54 Posts

Profile of Sir Pat-Trick
Only other Illusions used were black art where the phantom appeared and disappeared On top of the Golden part of the opera set. Then there were some flash pots that went off for the auction scene. And a flash pot for when the phantom leaves the Mask Ball. That is all I remember I've seen the show twice. Hope that helps.
Trick is in the Name!
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
115 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
That's right! When he was dressed as a skelleton he vanished like the wicked witch in munchkin land. Anyone know the name of the illusion with the mirror?
Thanks.
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
In the Toronto and touring productions I saw, the mirror wasn't exactly an illusion. A half-silvered mirror was used like a scrim, slowly lit from the back to reveal the Phantom, then slid sideways in it's frame like a patio door. Cool, but not exactly magic.

At the end of the show, a reverse version of Tom Palmer's "Satan's Seat" was used in both shows. I'd have been more impressed if they'd used the DeKolta Chair.

Dan Wolfe, aka. "The Amazing EARL"
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Earl is that pretty much a form of the Peppers Ghost?
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
We saw the show on Broadway, and I don't remember any "illusions" as such. At the end, he sat in a coffin/chair affair (designed to fit onto the setting) and vanished. I agree that a DeKolta chair would have been more impressive, but this was a musical, not a magic show, and you always run the risk of blowing the audience away so much that they get distracted from what they're watching.

One of the problems with illusions as we know them is that most of the time it takes a second party to do something to the first party. As Van Cleve put it many years ago, a levitatee needs a levitator (and yes, I know about Lance Burton's version). Introducing this second party, unless it fits into the story, can appear contrived.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Paul Arthur
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Paul Arthur
It's a scrim effect using a mirror: Front lit to see the reflection of the dressing room; back lit to see the figure standing behind the mirror. Rosebrand makes a flexible mirror product that will create this effect for you. Can't remember the name of it offhand, but I'm sure it's on their website.

I helped design a spoof of PoTO once that used an RC controlled cruise ship rolling around on the stage in place of the gondola. It had little scaled figures of the Phantom and Christine on it. It was pretty amusing... to me at least.

Posted: Mar 13, 2007 10:35am
Quote:

On 2007-03-13 10:30, George Ledo wrote:
I agree that a DeKolta chair would have been more impressive,

Problem with doing a DeKolta chair on the road would be either raising the chair to have a place to go or having another t**p built into the deck, which is not the easiest when touring a show. The reverse Satan's Seat was out of necessity, as it's more self contained and didn't need either. I agree, the DeKolta would have looked cooler, but it would have been more hassle for other reasons.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2007-03-13 10:14, Banester wrote:
Earl is that pretty much a form of the Peppers Ghost?

Not a Peppers Ghost.
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
115 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
I got the script today. It is "The Phantom of the Grand Ole Opry". It looks like it will be fun. I also went to the theater and to the shop. They had a mirror they used in a previous show that will work if it is not too beat up. It might need new reflective film put on it.
They have a seen in "Box 5" where the phantom causes trouble with the theater managers cowboy hat. I figure black art. I threw in some self lighting torches for down in the phantoms domain and perhaps a suspension in the graveyard scene. Ith the theater managers office I have the phantom magically appear on the office desk, it was kind of written that way. I know it may not make sense to you readers, but if you had the manuscript, it would.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
Just a note - the Rose brand mirror Paul refers to is called "glassless mirror" - and if we're talking about the same thing, it's quite effective. Really looks like glass until you treat it like scrim. Holds up well. They'll custom size and frame. Mine hasn't warped for 2 years now, but if it gets punctured it's shot.

If yours is similar and it's warped, you might want to check Rose Brand out. MUCH nicer than standard Mylar.

-amanda
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Phantom of the Opera help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL