The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Need some recommendations please!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Thanks for the information, Harry. I'll see what I can do to raise the cash. Maybe even break down and get a job Smile

One thing that I would avoid are DVDs dealing with "one trick ponies" such as Holey Moley, or In a Flash. There are many more out there, including some from Ellusionist. I am not saying any of these tricks are bad, but they are just one trick. Your money, for now, would be better spent on DVDs or books where you can learn many, simple tricks and not pay an arm or a leg for them.

Three DVDs that Sankey put out that I like are "Amazing Magic and Mentalism Anyone Can Do (volumes 1 & 2)" and "22 Blows to the Head".

A friend of mine, Carroll Baker, has a whole series devoted to different branches of magic, covering several different tricks for one item. Example DVDs would be on cups & balls, rope, coins, etc.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
MagiKen
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of MagiKen
All of these ideas are great, and I love Doc Eason in person and his videos are great too. Dan Harlan videos provide good stuff with equally great variety. Harry Loraine, Best Ever series, if you want all cards can't be topped, nor can David Roth for coins. However, if you are more or less starting out but just passing the beginner stage, and you also want a good variety for the bar, there is a six DVD series set on bar magic by the guy who publishes many other people's videos -- Maxwell. They are not overpriced, give you lots of material and bonuses from all the big names he has produced videos for over the years; it even comes with some special prop cards in each DVD. I would not give it an overwhelmingly high rating for those in the know, although there are a few bits and handliings that will please even not a few of the most harcore barmen. However, for one at the early stages of bar magic I think it would be a great place to start without a single knuckle-buster in the lot. A-1 Video Productions.
Magic makes a difference when you care enough to make it magical
MagiKen
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of MagiKen
All of these ideas are great, and I love Doc Eason in person and his videos are great too. Dan Harlan videos provide good stuff with equally great variety. Harry Loraine, Best Ever series, if you want all cards can't be topped, nor can David Roth for coins. However, if you are more or less starting out but just passing the beginner stage, and you also want a good variety for the bar, there is a six DVD series set on bar magic by the guy who publishes many other people's videos -- Maxwell. They are not overpriced, give you lots of material and bonuses from all the big names he has produced videos for over the years; it even comes with some special prop cards in each DVD. I would not give it an overwhelmingly high rating for those in the know, although there are a few bits and handliings that will please even not a few of the most harcore barmen. However, for one at the early stages of bar magic I think it would be a great place to start without a single knuckle-buster in the lot. A-1 Video Productions.
Magic makes a difference when you care enough to make it magical
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2007-03-16 14:54, Jack Tighe wrote:
From that list make sure you pick up front row sankey. I've always thought this was his best release BAR NONE. Also the brainstorm set is well worth your time and money. Its a nice list, I'm glad to see you didn't include "How to do street magic" and "kard klub" and so on.

Jack

Agreed. HL stuff is great.
Ross Welford makes a verygood point.. better a few tricks done brilliantly, rather than many done just so so..
Have you check out RSVP's catalogue? Some brilliant 'bang for your buck'.. Shaun McCree, John Carey, Lee Smith, Gary Jones, Mark James etc etc.. all achievable, real world stuff.

Good luck!
PS Why would you need to perform a good pass at beginner / intermediate level? There are many more angle proof methods that are far more 'bar friendly' e.g. surrounded.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
And I've just noticed how old this thread is...! (doh!)
Having said that, the Larry Davidson set is brilliant for theory & tips about rehearsing (not just practicing).
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
A lot of old threads seem to be popping up...nonetheless, for the sake of helpfulness, I'll add that you can't go wrong with The Magic Menu for this sort of information. It's an invaluable resource and I've probably read through volume one, cover-to-cover, more than any other book I own.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Need some recommendations please!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL