The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Table for Close Up Card Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tailwindd
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of tailwindd
Can anyone tell me who manufacturers good tables for close up card magic? I particularly like the tables that one sees in many of the videos (such as produced by L&L).
Thanks
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I know that Michael Ammar told a group of us how he made his own table with a 16X20 frame, a sheet of wood of the same dimensions about 3/8" thick (as I recall), some felt glued to it, and some leg posts that have screw-in legs that are attached to the wood from the bottom to form a tripod.

If anyone out there has the exact details, it would be greatly appreciated, as I am going on memory here.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Sekhmet
View Profile
New user
Nacogdoches, TX
54 Posts

Profile of Sekhmet
This is what I found on it: ammar
There are none so blind as those who will not see.
MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
If you're unable to get a performance table you may want to condiser a good close-up pad.

There is a really great one produced by Trevor Duffy.

http://www.trevorduffy.co.za/products.htm
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Thanks, Sekhmet. That's the table I'm talking about! The most expensive part might be the picture frame, which is what the table sides are made from. Last I checked, the lowest I could find was over $15 for the 16X20 picture frame that he used.
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
I think he's talking about the really fancy style tables. Not so much just a table, but rather a bit bigger table, something that he can perform sitting down at and also has some arm room. Am I right? I'd like to get one too tailwindd
I want to go far...
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Fraser, who says you have to limit yourself to a 16X20 frame? I am assuming that the size Ammar used gave him a nice balance between a nice size, ease of use, and portability.
tailwindd
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of tailwindd
Fraser, your right. The table I am talking about has a central cutout without an edge where the performer sits. The remainder of the table does have a lip. I do have close-up mats but I am always looking for a place that has the right height, also. I think this is especially important for close-up sit down card magic.
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
Yeah tailwindd, I agree completely. Those tables look great and feel great. The magic shop I used to go to all the time had one. Closed down now though. I don't know where he got them.

Fraser
I want to go far...
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
As I'm used to walk around and having my arms down while I'm performing, I usually find performing at a table feels a bit awkward, so I agree that the table hieght definitely matters. I'd want a table I purchased/made to be a bit lower.
I want to go far...
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
The table described in Mark Wilson's book would be excellent. Also a harbin table might work for what you are doing. Both have small footprints and move from place to place easily.

Good Luck.

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5413 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Depending on your price range, these laptop stands make great close-up tables...
http://www.instand.com/CR1/cr1.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Table for Close Up Card Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL