The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Is something wrong? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, that's not natural. Doves should only sleep in the dark. If he just sits in the nest all day, then it sounds like there is something wrong. Sitting on the nest is one thing but going to sleep in the daylight is another story.

If you take the nest out of the cage, what does he do? Will he perch?
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hmmm, I see, Dave...

I'll take the nest out for tonight and all of tomorrow and report back on what I see...

EDIT: Ok, I just took the nest out, and placed him on his perch, but he just went right down to the bottom of the cage and is doing the same thing as he was with the nest there, trying to get relaxed, and just hanging out there. :-

-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, that's not natural. She should perch. Does she seem to be breathing OK?

Leave the nest material out of the cage and see if she goes to the perch on her own. It's possible she might be trying to lay another egg. Since you only have her and it's not a fertile egg anyway, let her stay there on the bottom for a day or two. She'll lay the egg and then go to the perch.

If she doesn't improve in a day or two, I'd seriously consider taking her to a vet.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Thanks Dave...

I'll leave the nest out of the cage. I'll let you guys know if she lays the egg... Also, when/if the egg is laid, should I leave it in there, or take it out ASAP or what?

Thanks
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
If she lays an egg, take it out as soon as you see it. If you leave it there, she might just stay on it and you won't know if there is anything wrong.
Where the magic begins
paladin1
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of paladin1
I agree, take it out asap.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Hey Vinnie, what' the latest with Jack?
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Hey Dave,

Shes doing better (I think).

I gave her the castor oil the night you told me to, but nothing really changed.

Still no egg, but at this point, I'm starting to think there was no egg to start with. She is eating and drinking fine, and her 'poop size' has gone back to normal.

She is still laying in her nest, but I honestly am just thinking that is because it's comfortable.

Thoughts?
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The castor oil wasn't to make an egg pass; it was to fix up the droppings. If he's getting back to normal in that regard, then the oil worked. If she hasn't laid the egg by now, there is no egg. It wouldn't take this long no matter what.

You're probably right about the nest being comfortable. That's why I originally suggested removing it. I have two birds that are not used in my act and I don't breed them. Except for mealtime, they spend most of their time just sitting in the nest.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Hey Dave. Good to hear that this is normal. =]

Yeah, so I guess that one-drop did work after all.

I guess Jack's just a lazy dove. Ha ha. He loves just laying down on the nesting. But it's good to see that he is eating and doing the norm. =]

I'll report back if I see any changes, or a new egg is laid. =]
-Vinnie
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Hey Vinnie!
Great photo of your bird! That orange Easter stuff is not so good for your birds because it is covered with dye and might have other things added. Easter baskets are notorious for being made overseas and treated with sprays and toxins to which you should not expose your bird.

Fake grass can also become entangled in the bird's foot (or they can eat it and it can become entangled in the birds innards) if it is that paper or plastic type grass. (Easter Grass and Christmas Tree Icicles are very dangerous to all household pets!)

Like Dave, I suggest you take out the nest. My birds will stay on the nest or the place the nest was because of instinct. Your bird will probably stay on the floor where her nest was for a few days, then she will resume normal activities. She will probably repeat the cycle when she has another set of eggs due.

Regarding poop: Mark is correct. She does hold her poop in when she is nesting. Because of instinct, doves do not intentionally poop in the nest. Poop accidentally gets in the nest when they stand up to poop and miss OR when it is carried back in on their feathers. (That is why the nests get dirty sometimes.) Doves actually raise their backside over the edge of the nest to do that giant poop, and 98% ends up on the cage bottom.

From the photo I can tell that Jackie also needs something to walk on! Cages with bars on the floor are really hard on a bird’s feet. Doves are walkers and enjoy striding around on the bottom of the cage, in addition to hopping from perch to perch. (That is why you want a LONG cage instead of a tall cage.)

Cover up the floor bars with sheets of newspaper or butcher paper so she can walk around. You will have to change it daily, but this will be deeply appreciated by Jackie. Yes, Jackie. There is no shame in having a lady dove. I prefer the females for performances because they do not coo during the show Smile

FYI: My birds coo at night on and off, even if the light is off and the room is pitch dark. They will coo all night if there is the slightest amount of light. Maybe your room should be a bit darker.
Hope this post helps out!
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Wow, I completely missed where you said you were using easter basket grass. I agree with Autumn. Get that out of the cage. There are many different nesting materials that are good. I actually buy mine at the pet store. It's called "Abba Nesting Material #0520" It costs $1.59 for a 1 oz bag and the birds love it. I buy it in bulk so I get it for $1.00 a bag. When it gets dirty, I just replace it. The nests in my cages are actually what they call "coop cups" and are just large enough for the two parents to sit in and raise the babies.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Thanks for all of the help, guys! I will take this nesting out right now, and I'll pick up some of that nesting the next time I'm at the pet store. =]

I don't know what I would do without you guys!
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, not all pet stores carry the Abba nesting. They should be able to order it for you though. Abba is right here in Elizabeth.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Hey guys! Great news! Jack seems to be back to normal now!

I took the Easter Grass out of the cage last night, and she just satyed on the bottom just relaxing for a good half an hour, so then I took her out, and had her fly around for a little, and then put her on her perch inside the cage. She stayed on the perch all night, and was eating and eating the grit aswell (something I haven't seen her eating in a while), and I just got home from school, and there she was - on her perch. And she is back to normal with her cooing! As she was going through this "phase", I guess you could call it, she was cooing a very little bit. Now she is back to her cooing ways! And she sure is a cooer! Haha.
Oh, and her poop size is all back to normal! =]

Thanks for the great advice guys! I guess that whole thing was just because she was in the egg laying type season.

As for the Abba, Dave, I'll look for what you recomended above at the Petsmart in Union on Route 22 the next time I'm there... If the don't have it, I'll just order it offline.

Thanks again guys!
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Great news! The last time I called Abba, they gave me a phone number of someone that could supply the material to me. Turns out the guy lived just around the corner from me.

Here's their website

http://www.abbaseed.com/index.htm
Where the magic begins
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
We are really glad your bird is better.

Just know... if you put nesting material back in her cage, she will start setting again. I finally had to take one nest out of my cage because the female dove had been on the nest for weeks. She was a total nest potato!

Unless you spend a lot of time exercising your dove, it might not be the best thing to keep a nest in there all the time.

Do try to put some newspaper on that cage bottom. I promise, this is a good thing to do. Her feet will thank you Smile
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
My dove ignores the grit in it's bowl. I watch it, and it's very precise in picking up the small seeds it wants. How do you ensure it's getting it's daily grit?
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Doves don't need daily grit. They'll eat it when they feel they need it. I have a separate cup in the cages with the grit. That way I don't waste the grit when I dump the uneaten seed.
Where the magic begins
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Dave

How often you say they actually use the grit bowl? Once a week, twice a month, etc?
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Is something wrong? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL