We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » A tool for better timing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Here's the situation. I'm hiding in a location on stage in readiness to make myself appear.

Here's my problem. I'm deaf so I don't know when it's the proper time to come out.

When I was faced with this problem I looked to other magicians and asked what kind of methods they use to let a hidden person know when it's time to emerge from the hiding place. Take for example an illusion that uses a Base. How does the person know exactly when it's time to come out? I know that when an act is rehearsed enough they can use things such as the music to let them know. A tap, and other movement can be used. I even heard of some pulling a string.

I finally had an idea and when I tried it out I realized it isn't just helpful for deaf magicians like me. So I thought I'd share this with you all. My first thought was to possibly put together a product for this. But when I did some searching and found out how easy and inexpensive they are to find I figured I'd just share and it and if any of you can use this then great.

Here it is. Get yourself a wireless surveillance camera and a mini monitor (TV or LCD screen). So if you have the display screen in the hiding place and a camera facing the stage. You'll actually be able to watch the act from your hiding place. Not only will you know exactly when to come out. Your timing will also be better because you'll be able to see the moment when it comes. I had also thought about having a camera that only shows a specific location on the stage. So the performer that's not hiding and send some kind of hand signal to that spot to let the hidden person know. For instance when the hidden person sees someone walk past the camera or stand in line of it. They'll know "All is ready".

Anything can go wrong in a performance so you never know if the moment the hidden person is suppose to come out becomes delayed.

Well, I hope this is helpful to someone.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ron,

That is a great idea and generates others. THANKS!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
A light in the base with a push button on the exterior of the base for the magician to push. Or light it by remote.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
And now for a quickie!!!!

When timing is crutial and you don't have a budget for the fancy stuff.... simply take a spool of thread and have the person in the base hold one end of the thread in their hand. In the wings another person ( holing the spool ) watches for that perfect moment and then pulls on the thread. The person in the base feels the thread slide out of their hand and they know its time to GO!

Best,

Tim
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1358 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Jaxon,
Its an interesting genius thought - I was thinking of a similar thing for the bases. Something a bit simpler.
A bank of LED lights (RED YELLOW & GREEN) Which are remotely activated from off stage. Technology is wonderful. Now if it turned BLUE. . .. . .. what would you do?
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I always know when it's time to get out of my subtrunk when I can't see stage lights through the crack between the box and the lid..

drilling a small hole whereever you are hiding to see light disapearing when where ever you're hiding is covered is a fool proof way... no batteries.. no lights.. no camera.. the hole doesn't need to be big.. not even big enough to see closeup when you're lookat the the prop.
Oliver - Twist
View Profile
Regular user
France
170 Posts

Profile of Oliver - Twist
Hi,

The french magician Pierre Brahma is deaf aswell. For all his acts he wprked with an assistant off stage and a light organ in front him indicating the crecendos of music. This guy even won FISM with his act.
Back to illusions : I like the simple idea of makeupguy, that I used in an illusion act even though I'm not deaf.
On the other hand the led is a good idea, but who is switching them on and off. I'm just thinking of the reaction time, like in a car driving and need to stop n emerceny. There's always this 1 second. Well it's not so important for the effect, but it gets more important if the effect needs to fit a music hit for exemple. Electronically there might be a possibility to work this out, but I don't know how.
Maybe I would go for the monitoring.
May all your days be magical

Oliver Twist
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1358 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Jax,
I read some of the thoughts on being a def magician on your site. I wanted to tell you I appreciate the section and send you a warm feeling of support & gratitude for those thoughts. I imagine performing with little or no sound would be very difficult. If your looking for techno solutions or something much simpler contact me via PM / or email. I will be able to assist you.

Cheers,

Ryan C. Reed
Illusioneer
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
OK Ron! SAM's Wholesale owes you a commission! Thanks for the idea.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I love the ideas expressed here and I know Ron very well. Part of the reason Ron and I get along so well is the fact that I to am a deaf magician. I wear hearing aids in both ears to even remotely hope that I can hear music cues and audience applause. In many case being a deaf magician has allowed me and my wife to come up with system that work for us.

We also perform an illusion show and because of this, there were certain things I had to figure out that a person of normal hearing never had to worry about. Like ron, when I am in a sub trunk or a base of an illusion, it is often very hard for me to hear anything at all. I rely on visual cues and vibration cues.

Now yes I said vibration cues. Ron might agree with me on this. Because I am deaf I tend to hear music and sound not so much as tones but as vibrations. I can actually feel sound. it sounds weird but trust me on this. I can feel the sound through the stage floor. because of this what I often do is set up a speaker or have a monitor pointing inwards towards the illusion area. by doing this I can feel the vibration of the music taking place. So even though I can not hear the music, I know when I feel a certain vibration, that is a musical cue for me to make my move. It works for me and it just means my wife and I taking the extra steps we need to make sure the cues are there.

Another idea we do through not sound bu vibration is having my wife use her heel of her foot on the subtrunk lid. All she has to do is lighting go down with the heel twice and I know. Now this is not loud or a big movement at all. In fact most magicians would never hear it inside. However, since I am deaf, my bosy has become tuned into using my other senses to compensate for this. Her heel touching the lid is felt by me inside the illusion and works as a cue for me to take the next step.

I thank you all for your thoughts and ideas here as they are wonderful ones. It is not easy putting on a full magic stage and illusion show and being deaf at the same time. However I always told myself that I would never give up what I love to do so much. It simply means I have to find different means to accomplish the same things. But to me the hard work I take pays off in that applause from the audience.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » A tool for better timing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL