The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Just Got Back From Copperfield's Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
All,

Just came back from DC's show at the Dodge Theater. I was a little disappointed with the show and more disappointed with David himself. He seemed bored and worn out. Some of the illusions he performed were from his shows 10 years ago. Don't get me wrong, it was a great show but not amazing. The best trick was the lottery where he made a prediction and a car appear at the end. Now I can mark that off of my list of things to do before I die. Otherwise, it was a great show.

Patrick
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello Patrick

We attended the 6 P.M. show last evening (Friday) and were equally disappointed. I said a couple of years ago that I wouldn't go to another of his shows, but...

P.S.
That duck really pi---d me off! Smile

Julie
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I'm curious as to why you didn't enjoy Webster. Was it just that it's an older effect?
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
It may be old but it still gets laughs...
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Quote:
I was a little disappointed with the show and more disappointed with David himself. He seemed bored and worn out.

Hi Patrick,
I saw DC at the Gammage a couple of years ago and had a similar opinion. He appeared seemed to be 'worn out' and a little tired. Yawning on stage?? Maybe it is the warm weather??
Max
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
It is interesting to me that the general public does not seem to notice the same thing about DC. The shows are still packing them in, the press is generally kind, offering no post-performance reviews. I saw him last May, and was struck the same way as most of the magicians here have reported, but his audience at my performance gave him 2 standing ovations. And the post show chatter was generally positive.

Years ago, before Siegfried and Roy moved from the Frontier, I thought that their act seemed to be getting a bit stale. I would watch Siegfried click through the show in that precise, by the numbers way, and I could tell that they both had their minds elsewhere during the show. And I wondered why the rest of the audience didn't see that too?

I suppose it is because as magicians, we see these performances through a different set of eyes. While the regular audience is excited about what magical thing will be coming next, we are sitting there asking ourselves why is Copperfield still wearing the same outfit from 5 years ago!

I guess that being able to still print money at any boxoffice in the world is his biggest magical feat of all time.

Chris
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
You mean my blue dress shirt is ou of fashion too ? Smile
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Interesting, too, is that the local news (not paid advertising) showed clips of his "newer" illusions, NOT the older material that's actually in the stage show.

BTW I do like the Webster the Duck routine, just not the part where water is sprayed into the audience (2-3 times) and David remarks about the duck's being "..really p----ed off".

The reason I made a special effort to go to the early show is that I thought this might be more of a kiddie/family oriented show and the nasty remarks would not be a part of the show. I'm not a prude by any means, but I just don't like David's use of this kind of humor. He's bound to offend some and it certainly doesn't add anything to the show. He could use the same gag and get the same laughs (maybe more!) by revising his script a little.

It's been mentioned in other threads about his monotone and mechanical delivery. You can't help but be impressed by his achievements and monetary success--he's definitely at the pinnacle of show business-- but the spark and personality just aren't there anymore.

Julie
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
All,

I believe that the name David Copperfield is much bigger than the man. People will go to see David Copperfield because it is David Copperfield. That explains why the sold out arenas. Like I said, from a magic show point of view it was great. It was almost like seeing Muhammad Ali (the greatest boxer of our time) come out of retirement to fight again. He just wasn't the same. ANother thing I didn't like was that there was no meet and greet possiblities after or before the show. Right after he said goodbye, he ran off stage right and hid himself in a room. I guess he is just too busy for his fans. I just saw him in a different light last night. He (last night) was not the same guy on the ILLUSIONS video. And what was with his hair. It looked wierd to me. Lastly, he played a "LoVe David" 3minute video of all his feats. Seems he is trying to prove that he is still the greatest. That is kind of like Elvis did in has wanning days. Just my 2 cents.

Patrick
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
Kind of like elvis he wont know when to quit. . . .. ... . .. and eventually well. You know how elvis ended.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
LOL
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
182 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Ryan.....

Was your departure from DC's crew a bitter one?

I am interested to know.....

Rich
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Yeah I saw him last week and was so dissapointed. I have seem him live four times now and have loved every show untill this one. I really felt like I wanted my money back after the show and I don't think I would go again. I know that since his father died he has been getting reviews like this from fellow magicians but really it did not even seem like the same person on-stage. I actually felt sorry for him after the show, he appears to have no enthusiasm for performing anymore. Additionally he did absolutley nothing new from the last time I saw him almost four years ago. He talks about how he has the largest magic collection in the world and I can't help but see the irony in that. Might be time for him to take a nice long vacation???
Eyes of Darkness
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Eyes of Darkness
The worse DC show I ever saw was called Global Encounter. Many magician/fans say this show never existed but I still have the press from it. This was the show that premiered his portal. The show was less than 70 min long with 10 minutes of video (fires of passion and the DC make me disappear video). I managed to get my money back because the show was advertised as being two hours long.
Illusion77
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Do you have actual promo matierial with that show title on it?
Eyes of Darkness
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

I do indeed
Illusion77
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
I'd love to see a scan of it - would that be possible? I can trade you scans of other DC articles.
Eyes of Darkness
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Ill try to post a link up tonight.
Illusion77
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Thanks!
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
Does he cut himself in half?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Just Got Back From Copperfield's Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL