The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » A Copper/ Gold half ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Hello, I was wondering if there is a gaff similar to a C+S coin but with a Copper plated half and a Gold plated half instead of the usual C+S w/ English penny.

Basically, I want to perform Curtis Kam's spellbound routine from Plams of Steel one starting with a normal half dollar which becomes copper then gold and then back to the original which can be handed out for examination.

Any ideas?

Thanks-

Mark
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
835 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Yo Mark,
I don't know if there is a gaff made like this. I've seen around halves that were gold plated and copper plated. I'm sure if you find them and ship them out to one of the custom gaff-makers, one of them could make one for you. Sorry I can't be of any other help. Smile

Good luck,
Bill
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4857 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Mark,
Yea I have been Thinking About geting some Made!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Hey Bill what's up- I know there exists a gold/ sliver Half but not a copper/ gold.

In Curtis Kam's spellbound routine you start with an east african 5 cent piece and then he makes great use of the C/S it's like getting a "2 for one".

I wanted to do an "alchemy" type presentation of the routine so for me the coins are not changing but their properties are.

Mr Neighbors- who might be your source for getting a coin like this made.

Thanks guys-

Mark
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Todd Lassen may be a good place to start.

Shawn.
Shawn.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4857 Posts

I have someone in town. But I am not sure if he can do it yet! I will let you know!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Good luck with it, guys. I like the sound of it, altho you'll have to make sure you perform it in good light. (I wasn't completely kidding about the patterline in NYSB) In many situations, it's tough to see the difference between a gold half and a silver one. In fact, a lot of restaurants keep it too dark to tell shiny copper from silver.

One suggestion--if you use a simple gold half as your starting coin, you can use a brass/silver gaff, which would be simpler to make. Plus, the gold coin is (to use David Regal's term) an "oddity" that gets the audience's curiosity at the start. It's a stronger opening, and they can examine it (as they'll want to) at the beginning, taking some of the heat off the coin(s) later.

BTW, wasn't the gaff in that old effect "Alchemist's Dream" (or something like that) what you're looking for? Not sure if it's still available.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Sorry, it's "Alchemist's Fantasy" and still avaiable, at least from here (the first place I came across)

http://www.makeitmagic.com/shop/page5.html
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4857 Posts

Hi Curtis,
No the Alchemist's Fantasy Uses just A Standerd C/S Coin. But it does use Plated coins!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
You mean, when they said "the half dollar magically becomes copper"--they lied? Say it isn't so!

I was afraid of that--the half becomes a copper English Penny. So no cigar.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4857 Posts

Hay Curtis,
I thought you would know by now that's it's all a lie!!! Smile!
But The half does become A Copper plated Half!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Thanks guys for responding. I had thought about the alchemist fantasy set, and perhaps incorporating the idea of a "philosophers stone" into the routine. I could begin with a regular half and then reach into the pocket for the stone wave it over the coin- deposit the stone in the pocket and steal out the coins as necessary but it would destroy the two for one advantage of using a C/S as in Kurtis's routine.

Well, I guess I might save up for the custom work or just try to work something out on my own-

thanks again-

Mark

William Butler Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » A Copper/ Gold half ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL