The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Apocalypse vs. "Best of Friends" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

montserat_13
View Profile
New user
San diego
16 Posts

Profile of montserat_13
Hi guys,

I need a quick review about Apocalypse and "Best of Friends" (Harry Lorayne).

1) Which one has a better explanation and more illustration or picture?
I got to admit that my English is not that good so...
I have Art of Astonishment, and it's great for me because it has a lot of picture, so that make it easier for me to follow the instruction.

2) Of course, which of these two books that's better?

Thanks a lot.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Which is better - an apple or an orange!? Two entirely different items. And no one has ever had a problem understanding my writing/teaching. Not so far, anyway - not until I turn senile. HARRY LORAYNE.

Easy to solve the problem, Sir. Save your money, and get 'em both. That is, the three volumes of Best Of Friends, and the four volumes of Apocalypse. Then you'll have enough magic to learn for the rest of your life. And if not, I have other books that I've written just for you! HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
In over 4 million i've made
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
The 'APOCALYPSE' series are bound issues of a regular Magazine published by Mr Lorayne - it contains a wide range of Magic using Cards, Coins, Ropes, Rings,Strings and just about every other Magic prop available. Complete routines are explained, as are many moves (if I can use that word.) Items have been contributed from many magicians (some you have heard of0, there are some misses, but plenty of hits. You will needd to take your time and work thru all 4 volumes its quite a collection
B of F is a series of mostly card Magic - again from a series of contributors (i have found these volumes more useful to me)

I would suggest you go for the series that you feel is right for you, and treat yourself to one Volume - you can build from there.
PaulGordon
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of PaulGordon
I think that if you like an author's (and creator) style, you should strive to get all their works. You can't really compare any of Harry's works because they all contain gems; all different material - all great. So, try ANY Lorayne book and if you like it (and I'm sure you will), get the rest as and when you can, a) afford it, and b) have tried all the effects in the book you've just purchased!

To wit: I don't really like topological and off-the-wall card magic (or big set-ups, fakes etc), so I steer clear of authors who DO veer that way. If you do like that kind of stuff (and, nothing wrong with it at all), try Paul Harris, Michael Ammar, Stephen Tucker etc. All great creators, but just not my style.

Harry Lorayne's books contain, mostly, card magic with just a regular deck. All audience-tested. So, if that 'floats your boat' - start collecting! Best start with Close-up Card Magic (1962)...all they way through to Best Of Friends III (2007).

Paul Gordon
Adam Paul
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Adam Paul
I have to say I prefer the Best of Friends books as the quality of the material is IMHO better.

Though obvioulsy Apocalypse has MUCH more stuff to choose from, I do prefer BOF 1&2. I've not got 3 yet.

I do agree with Paul and Close-Up Card Magic is still 45 years on a really wonderful book. I still refer to it often and usually find a gem I overlooked.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
I'm trying to buy a complete set of Apocalypse books.
Maybe I'm not looking in the right place(s).

I have not been able to find

Apocalypse book 6-10
Shows as out of print. Even L&L publishing doesn't show this volume.

Apocalypse book 11-15
This volume seems to be available, although not as widely carried as
volumes 1 & 4.

Apocalypse book 1-5
Apocalypse book 16-20
Easiest to find in the series:
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
nameless
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of nameless
Buy 'em direct from Harry, & he will also sign the books for you. You can't go wrong
buying both Apocalypse & Best Of Friends. There's a wealth of incredible material in those books just waiting for you to explore. Buy 'em & you'll see. You won't regret it.

Al
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Yes, Apocalypse 6-10 is now OOP. Very difficult to secure a copy nowadays same like Best of Friends 2 too.

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Nameless: Thanks for the info. Because of your helpful
comment I now have (4) signed volumes on the way.

Thanks,
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
nameless
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of nameless
Mr. Ree, I'm glad you found the info helpful. Those 4 volumes are really a treasure trove of diverse magic ideas & effects. I'm pretty sure you will be late up at night enjoying & reading most of Harry Lorayne's Out To Lunch columns too.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-03-19 09:53, montserat_13 wrote:
Hi guys,

I need a quick review about Apocalypse and "Best of Friends" (Harry Lorayne).

1) Which one has a better explanation and more illustration or picture? ...

There's not a lot of overlap of matieral so it's tough to compare the two works.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Apocalypse vs. "Best of Friends" (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL